Next Wetherspoons fest

anything good so far? the harviestoun was decent. the Lancaster American red was fine
. as for the others the St Peter’s was disappointing
the Sheps beer had minimal hop. the Hook Norton black ipa was better than expected.

So the plan from here is Hamilton Hall at Liverpool Street then Farringdon Chancery Lane Holborn which has 4 in that area. Already skipped 3 possible ones. Hope to be done before I hit Victoria. If I am done by then then I want to tick off BrewDog Canary Wharf on the way home.

On public transport and walking today. No bike. Am doing a 23 mile training ride tomorrow on Romney Marsh so I am saving my legs.

Got the Boxing Cat Chinese beer in Hamilton Hall.
21 down of the 28 I needed
Just 7 more to go now.
Sun is out, its a beauty of a day.
Hope to finish this early and go and enjoy the sun somewhere.

Sir John Oldcastle at Farringdon and Penderels Oak at Chancery Lane didn’t help me but I do have the Conwy Kodiak at Knights Templar.
I had forgotten I have a Spoons at St Pancras so that will be my last chance today.
Shakespeare Head on Kingsway next

Only 6 to go now.

4 Likes

How many of the 33 are ciders?

3 ciders 30 beers.

Well I was starting to get dispirited with only 1 new beer from 3 pubs around Chancery Lane but a lovely walk through Lincoln Inns Field park made me happy and then I got the Katy Perry and the Otter OPA at the Shakespeare Head.

So 33 at the start
28 required
24 had including all 3 ciders/perry
13 had today
4 left to get in 6 maybe 7 Spoons left.
Odds as always are looking bleak.

Sounds like you are having fun and I see you can still rate beers on here. I have been unable to rate for two days now, the latest update has killed me and a few others, my Californian thread is on hold.

Enjoy the rest of your day and good luck with finding the remaining beers.

<*))))))><

1 Like

well it’s not looking good. nothing in Montagu Pyke or Leicester Square or Lord Moon of the Mall. am now on bus to Victoria. I will check out the 2 pubs there and then take the Victoria line up to St Pancras for last pub. so 3 pubs left and4 beers needed. not good.

1 Like

I still rate on Erickoks app otherwise I wouldn’t still be here.

I don’t know what Erickok’s app is and I don’t have a mobile phone.

<*))))))><

nothing in Willow Walk but I did get the Chocolate Orange stout in Victoria station Spoons
3 left to get.
so apart from a miracle at St P Spoons. I am doomed once again.

London has been warm and pretty though and a welcome companion today. even the touristy bits.

I am missing the Maxim Arundel and Woodfordes.
My feet hurt. Its hot and I am sick of Spoons.
Time to head towards St Pancras for a bite of lunch and some more liquid refreshment.

Just as i had consigned myself to the dustbin to a long slow defeated train ride home at the very last moment there was a ray of hope. well miracles nearly do happen. both the Arundel best and Maxim Raspberry Porter on at St Pancras. wow. just missing 1. the woodfordes.

1 Like

Nice!

so I started on Wednesday needing 28 of 33. by this morning I had knocked off 11 of them in Folkestone Ashford and Canterbury over 2 evenings.
so 17 to go
9 scooped in first pub the Crosse Keys 8 left
then over the next 10 pubs another 5.
so down to 3.
last pub could it deliver. 2 more.
1 left outstanding
but just like the English Cricket Test team I failed at the last.
I am home now. about to have a well earned siesta followed by kung po chicken. George likes his chicken spicy. then a long group cycle ride tomorrow morning to blow the cobwebs away.
followed by a bottle tasting of about 20 rates in the Firkin Alehouse micropub in Folkestone
all in all a pretty fine weekend.
Cheers to anyone who has read my updates.
Ian

4 Likes

Congrats Ian, so close… thanks for the updates. Which were the best/worst?

Just had another three thirds. The Shep’s Gypsy Mask was decent, not convinced by the Conwy Kodiak. The Waddy’s Asphalt Jungle is the best if the fest so far, a real mellow “lie back, slow down and think all is right with the world”-type stout.

Excellent condition all round, the Hope Tap in Reading has had great cellaring for some time now.

The Chinese beer I think was by far and away the best in the festival.

Still missing the Woodforde’s

Another three today; thought the Black Sheep Choc Orange was excellent, Purbeck’s Katy Perry was also pretty good, but the Hook Norton Kol Schisel was dull dull dull. Overall though, the standard’s been pretty decent this time, maybe the best Spoonsfest for several years.

Avoid Spoons if at all possible but the Hook Norton / Big Shed dishwater was on at the Prince of Wales in Farnborough. It’s a fine line for these oldschool freehouses - two Elusive brews currently on (and plans for 7 guests kegs taps) but they also need to stock pissy Golds to keep the old boys happy.