Promoting ratebeer

Yes, if you already have a list of places it can be useful in finding out what they’ve recently had available in advance. Provided you already know about the place and it has a distinctive name. If the name is a common one, odds are you won’t be able to bring it up in a search until you get closer to it. And, as for getting a list of venues in a town or city before you get close to it, I don’t see any way of doing that on Untappd at all.

I mean, you wouldn’t be able to; Untappd only lets you look at venues physically nearby. Untappd is great in the moment, but not when you’re planning before departure.

To be honest, I almost never use the Places section of RB: I always use Foursquare to find breweries and bars with craft options.

2 Likes

You can look at distant venues on Untappd but only by searching for them. But you have to know about them already to do that. And the venue can’t have a common name otherwise you wont find it unless it’s really close. Unfortunately, in the UK, there are a lot of rather common pub names. For instance, for the King’s Arms, the list maxes out at 7.7 miles away from where I am. Fortunately, for me, the King’s Arms in London I’d actually want to visit is 6.5 miles away so just sneaks into the list. If I was a bit further away it wouldn’t.

1 Like

Don’t use Untappd other than Google searching the first page of check ins for a new beer I may be chasing.

The places feature is good but would be great to engage venues to update beer lists, opening times and other sort of stuff which might be useful.

For forward planning Rb used to have a Print City Map option that out location spots on top 50 venues and was able to split bars etc. Also printed address and what it was. If it had opening times that were accurate and a link to a beer list and useable on a phone how cool would that be?

Do think places are the USP for Rb and could be the thing to get more users on site.

Sorry guys this is simply not true. You can open any part of the world and check for venues there. At least in app. I’ve posted screenshots of London venues earlier and I’m sitting 1000 miles away. So I don’t have to know names I can simply search the map same like RB map (well not same but similar).

Yeah, you’ll get limited number of venues but it’s no problem for me to check different areas of large city and browse through all the verified venues. You can also check the breweries in some area (this haven’t been developed, but has lots of potential).

And if you had map with venues and could use phone navigation to reach the place? Furthermore if those beer lists had indication if you had the beer or not and average rate of each beer? That’s untappd or at least were it’s headed now.

How did I miss that? But it seems a bit weird. I just checked out Berlin (where I visited last month) and it only gives me about a dozen venues, all of which look pretty crap, in a tight cluster in a small area of the centre. And it couldn’t find any breweries at all.

There is a separate tab for breweries. Seems that Berlin haven’t stepped up on untappd yet, but they have been a bit slow on whole craft beer thing. However if you zoom out a bit and reload you’ll get some good verified beer bars like Monterey, Brewdog, Brlo, Vagabund, Protokoll

Well this is true but only partially helpful. But I do use this options aswell. It is only helpful if venues are verified. If they are not you can zoom into every street, click refresh and it shows you every location there, than you need to manually check if any of those venues are worth to visit. Might be helpful if you are looking for a pub around where you are staying but to search the whole city with this method seems kinda nonsense :wink:

For this reason I still love the places section (even though its many times pretty outdated because people rate once when they have been, so sometimes the latest rating is couple of years old). But atleast it gives me a good overview of places worth to check, from there on I go and check their websites and even the specified Untappd venue to see whats going on.

I agree. If the place is not verified you can check the place already know about (from Ratebeer). But looking randomly for unverified places makes no sense. Also using untappd makes way more sense in i.e. NYC than places which have a handful of verified places. But whole thing has a lot of potential because of the data set untappd has.

Hope RB is going to find a way to use places section better.

TLDR; @discobot please translate

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Where on earth is this feature hidden?

Second tab from the left

Must give this a try.

Note that it’s only on the mobile app & doesn’t seem to be on the website. Although, as I managed to miss it on the mobile app I wouldn’t necessarily take my word for it.

As stated above I don’t use Untappd so don’t know how much is in the database. I get the impression that it’s not as good as Ratebeer’s (which could be much better)

It’s not always easy to use a phone for navigation abroad. OK in Europe (at the moment) but further afield reliant on dodgy data or wi-fi. I’m a luddite and like a printed map.

The Print City Map gives you the same functionality as Untappd but “could” have the key details on. The printout still works - minus the map!

Hidden in plain sight… :relieved:

It’s not on website since untappd is focused mainly on app.

Sorry for making this thread “promoting untappd” instead of promoting Ratebeer.

You are obviously looking for the easier option. You would need to be a genius to look at ways of promoting Ratebeer at the moment.

1 Like

As far as i see it, the only real way RB can promote itself is to make it the best place to talk about beer, meet up with other Beer people. Build the comunity. If we get people come for the comunity they will be more likly to rate here.

Times have changed. Were no longer the goto place for ratings, as Untapd is just simpler and taht all most people want

1 Like