Shipping Beers to SoCal

I have no idea about inter-State laws but is it possible to order beers on-line in other States and have them shipped to California?

On my next trip over there I want to rate beers from the last four States I am still requiring to make the full set of 51 regions in the US.

Any help with a likely distributor would be greatly appreciated.

<*))))))><

It is possible, but limited. MS should be the easiest state as Lazy Magnolia has descent distribution. It likely would not be a distributor, but a bottle shop. WV used to have Mountain State distribution in the DC area and TW&M sometimes have WV ciders.

1 Like

American state laws are a mess when it comes to beer shipping. In the northeast certain breweries do ship out of state, but that is pretty limited to the bigger ones (Tired Hands & OH do limited out of state shipping but not to CA). Your best bet would be to either (a) bring some good British beers or (b) pick up a bunch of Monkish in Torrance, and try to do a facebook trade with someone in those states. Most states have dedicated facebook groups for trade and often the largest/most hyped brewery has a fan page where trading occurs… though not sure how active those are in the four states you are missing.

It would also be worth checking the websites of the breweries in those states to see if any ship. But that requires a systematic combing. Also, I have had friends arrange unofficial shipments in the past, but that might be slightly technically illegal.

2 Likes

Breweries directly are more difficult but Half Time (bottle shop) is one of the bigger places you can order from out of CA.

2 Likes

Half Time has a great selection of beers, but it seems they have none of the states he is looking for.

1 Like

Cheers chaps, I will take a look at your suggestions and see if I can source my missing States. The chase is often more fun than the actual catch!

<*))))))><

As far as direct from a WV producer, the only place I know that ships (Mountain Dragon) does not ship mead to CA. Healthberry Farms May ship to CA, but you would need to call. For whatever weird reason mead is easier to be obtained by mail in the US.

1 Like

Having a leisurely look at Halftime and they do have a huge selection of beers that interest me.

There are also some good ‘booze stores’ near my daughter’s place in Orange County, I always visit them hoping to find the States I’m missing; they have all failed on each occasion so far!

You can keep looking and go to another 2 dozen Jeremy

Just looked at the states you need and they are simply ones with low number of breweries, no big breweries and just aren’t going to see distribution

Arkansas is the only state I am stuck on 1 rate for and that came from someone who was actually in said state and picked up a can

As someone said up thread Mississippi is the most likely you will pick up from those 4

I’m getting nowhere with my remaining 4 states, I could most likely complete the 32 Mexican regions before I manage the US at this rate!

<*))))))><

perhaps organise a postal trade with someone with access to your missing states whilst out there.

Ship some UK wants over with you and post during your time out there.

Yea, I’ve thought about that too. It’s just a balls ache to do, our cases will be full of children’s Christmas stuff of course, so there’s a problem with space and weight.

It’s not easy being a grandparent with a wife who likes buying presents for everybody but me!

<*))))))><

Just pay for an extra case… Rich pensioner like you… Xmas present to self!!

I have Arkansas and South Dakota in my fridge and somewhat easy access to Mississippi (my dad lives there). If I can get a West Virginia (my brother in law lives in Ohio), I could knock off all your states in one shot, BUT I don’t think I could have it done before Christmas…

If you are willing to be patient with this, I think I can help make it happen for you. My wife and I are hoping to take a summer trip to Scotland in June. That could be an opportunity to make this happen?

2 Likes

The only thing I will add to our previous conversation is Lazy Magnolia seems to have reduced their distribution area, so it is probably harder to get MS now. If you are going to trade with somebody by post in the US you should ship with Fed Ex. If you are bringing bottles/cans from UK you should nail down what they want before you bring them over. The other thing is you are going to CA not some beer desert, so if there is interest you could buy some beers there.

1 Like

@rennat42. You have a beermail.

<*))))))><

1 Like

I would agree. Monkish or Bottle Logic will be as good trade bait as the best of Britain.

I should have closed this thread down as @rennat42 and I did an exchange and I now have all the States rated. Even shared one with four other guys who needed one of the States.

<*))))))><