Shropshire 23 September for a few days

I’m going to be in Shrewsbury / Shropshire from the 23td September for a few days.

Planning Shrewsbury on Saturday 23rd and happy to take place recommendations.

Also it would be great for some BrewPub tips in the surrounding area for other trips out. Hoping to boost my Shropshire ticks.

I know this is @BlackHaddock and @minutemat country.

Any local knowledge welcome.

Chez Sophie, Chez Sophie and Chez Sophie would be my top 3 recommendations.

The Moonshine & Fuggles bottle shop in Ironbridge was pretty decent for local micros when I was last there but that was several years ago now so don’t know if it’s changed.

2 Likes

A warm welcome awaits you Mr Pink! There should be enough places to keep you busy.

My personal selections for Shrewsbury would be:

Tap & Can - typical craft bar covering all bases. Sizeable snack selection.The owners also run Bird & Beer a chicken street food type place a mere stones throw away, also with a decent beer selection. You can order food from there to be delivered here.

Cromwell’s Tap House - Not quite the grand craft beer destination the name suggests but generally a good place for the latest Shropshire cask releases and regional / Welsh border breweries other places don’t get in. You might find a tick in the fridge. I usually sit in the rear yard. New owner and branding for the last year. It’s en-route to…

House of Grain - hip cocktail / craft place. Attracts the tattoo / beard crowd who hang outside with dogs. Mostly Neon Raptor / Polly’s / Pressure Drop pales with the odd Holy Goat / Vault City sour.

The Salopian - (not associated with the brewery - a Salopian is someone from Shrewsbury) - it’s a Shrewsbury institution but avoid on Saturdays / match days where the Sports Bar crowd make it the noisiest place on planet earth. Quiet weekdays different feel entirely. Has extended into neighbouring units with two additional bars all interconnected (you’ll see what I mean) where I prefer to sit. Can fridge, and 5 cask lines.

Also filed under ‘classic old Shrewsbury pubs’ - Admiral Benbow (bitters / blondes from Hobson’s, Ludlow, Salopian etc), Coach & Horses (ditto plus seasonal Salopian cask - new owners this year), Three Fishes (newish owners, as above, may have a Shropshire tick) and The Armoury (brunning & price gastro-pub).

Three other pubs owned by Shropshire breweries very close to each other that I normally wouldn’t recommend but will have Shropshire ticks:

The Alb - cocktail-y Camden lager type bar taken on by New Brew in Telford recently
The Albion - owned by St Anne’s. Pretty rough place to be fair and St Anne’s beer can be homebrewy at best
The Dolphin - owned by Joules

You are also more than welcome at my place Sophie’s / Chez Sophie. It is predominantly a daytime French creperie / coffeehouse, lots of families and teenagers. That can put off beer drinkers, but there is a fridge of cans / bottles. No draft.

Shops for Shropshire cans / bottles: Appleyards Deli, Tanner’s Wines (opposite house of Grain, fantastic old wine shop) Everyman’s and, just out of town, Woodfield Stores.

Note: Salopian Brewery bar opens weekends only during the Summer but you can call in for takeout bottles / cans

Surrounding areas:

OSWESTRY - home to Stonehouse Brewery with a bar / kitchen open 7 days a week) and The Bailey Head, which has a great beer selection. Check The Bell Inn if thirsty for more.

WELLINGTON - home to The Boot micropub (see also similar sister bar in Ironbridge The Coracle), The Pheasant and The Wrekin (both owned by Rowton Brewery). Check butchers Anthony’s for a good range of Shropshire beers. New Brew brewery bar somewhere in Telford open weekends I think.

LUDLOW - home to Ludlow Brewery with a very pleasant bar. Stop at Ludlow Food Centre, lots of beers in here.

Hobson’s Brewery in South Shropshire has a taproom but it’s currently closed.

Joules Brewery in market Drayton has a pub attached. You can probably get latest limited editions at the dolphin, cock hotel & white horse.

Think that’s about it!

4 Likes

Also, how long are you here for? Shrewsbury CAMRA Real Ale Festival starts wed 27th

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up @minutemat. Might try and make the first afternoon.

I should be behind the bar at the beer festival on the first 3 days (during the day at least), so might see you there :beers:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. My wife and I had an amazing week in the area. It was also n ice to meet some more of the Rate Beer family. Certainly a place we will be back to.

2 Likes