Spuyten Duyvil closing April 21st

Seems like another classic I’ll never have visited, but hey, reading some recent ratings, it’s just probably run out of steam.

1 Like

It is definitely not what it once was. I used to like going there a lot, but it seems like they lost their high end craft focus in recent years.

2 Likes

Although located right on the busy street I had trouble finding it, seems kind of funny now. I’ll remember a nice backyard, good music and somewhat rude service. Seemed past its heyday even 9 years ago, but I guess US bars with good international selection don’t impress Europeans that much. It’s a shame, would like to have visited it again. Williamsburg has changed so much, very few places left.

1 Like

Yup … I visited once in 2010 and of course as you say … visiting Euro tickers want US ticks not a load of Belgian stuff which was the case. However pleased to say I visited Monks in Philly last year (first time in 13 years) and that had got better with more US stuff, still a solid bottled list, Belgian classics etc, but has kept relevant to todays overall scene.

3 Likes

Visited in September and was disappointed. Pretty much just a random dive bar with some craft and a shit service. Belgian selection was also random and not well curated.

1 Like

It was never rated that highly on the site, which is a barometer I use when I travel. Had a rare Cantillon bottle named after it, but otherwise sounded like a pretentious hole-in-the-wall, which is why I never went while I was in The City.

1 Like

It felt like a historic relic of craft beer days gone by a decade ago. Sad to see it go, but the beer world has evolved beyond these OG places that never adapted to changing times.

1 Like

It was really cool in 2006. Then we all grew up.

2 Likes