Spuyten Duyvil closing April 21st

Seems like another classic I’ll never have visited, but hey, reading some recent ratings, it’s just probably run out of steam.

1 Like

It is definitely not what it once was. I used to like going there a lot, but it seems like they lost their high end craft focus in recent years.

2 Likes

Although located right on the busy street I had trouble finding it, seems kind of funny now. I’ll remember a nice backyard, good music and somewhat rude service. Seemed past its heyday even 9 years ago, but I guess US bars with good international selection don’t impress Europeans that much. It’s a shame, would like to have visited it again. Williamsburg has changed so much, very few places left.

1 Like

Yup … I visited once in 2010 and of course as you say … visiting Euro tickers want US ticks not a load of Belgian stuff which was the case. However pleased to say I visited Monks in Philly last year (first time in 13 years) and that had got better with more US stuff, still a solid bottled list, Belgian classics etc, but has kept relevant to todays overall scene.

3 Likes

Visited in September and was disappointed. Pretty much just a random dive bar with some craft and a shit service. Belgian selection was also random and not well curated.

1 Like

It was never rated that highly on the site, which is a barometer I use when I travel. Had a rare Cantillon bottle named after it, but otherwise sounded like a pretentious hole-in-the-wall, which is why I never went while I was in The City.

2 Likes

It felt like a historic relic of craft beer days gone by a decade ago. Sad to see it go, but the beer world has evolved beyond these OG places that never adapted to changing times.

3 Likes

It was really cool in 2006. Then we all grew up.

3 Likes

Just saw this. I first met a lot of you there at a Zwanze day back in 2011 or 2012. Sad to know it’s gone, but even if I was still local I likely wouldn’t make a dedicated trip there again. Kind of want to go find a place where I can spend $70 on a loon, for old time’s sake.

2 Likes

What I’ll remember. Servers making eye contact with you while you were clearly waiting for a beer and just carrying on like maybe they will just leave if i continue to ignore them. We spilled way to many beers in the bier garden. They always had dope glassware. There service typically sucked so hard, that it naturally became a place to share a few in the yard definitely remember smoke a cigar back there at some point. Then walking over to fette sau for bbq and drinking half growlers of captain Lawrence liquid gold waiting to annihilate your hunger with mouth watering meat. Definitely sad to see Spuyten go even if it was only a biannual visit kinda place. Also RIP Walt, pretty sure i met him there.
Side note since i’m not creating a new topic bc anyone who comes here will see this, I’m visiting NY July 27-29 shot me a text if you wanna drink beer i’ll be bringing Reno/tahoe local brews, or BM me if you dont already have my number, its never changed.

2 Likes