Swedish Regions

So might as well start a couple more threads to get the ball rolling, though obviously it may take a couple months at this pace. I found this list on Wikipedia (with latin names???) of the provinces of Sweden. Says there are 25? Is this right? Are there English names?

Blekinge Blechingia
Bohuslän Bahusia
Dalarna Dalecarlia
Dalsland Dalia
Gotland Gotlandia
Gästrikland Gestricia
Halland Hallandia
Hälsingland Helsingia
Härjedalen Herdalia
Jämtland Jemtia
Lappland Lapponia Suecana
Medelpad Medelpadia
Norrbotten Norbothnia
Närke Nericia
Öland Olandia
Östergötland Ostrogothia
Skåne Scania
Småland Smolandia
Södermanland Sudermannia
Uppland Uplandia
Värmland Wermlandia
Västmanland Westmannia
Västerbotten Westrobothnia
Västergötland Westrogothia
Ångermanland Angermannia

From Wikipedia:
English and other languages occasionally use Latin names as alternatives to the Swedish names. The name Scania for Skåne predominates in English. Some purely English exonyms, such as the Dales for Dalarna, East Gothland for Östergötland, Swedish Lapland for Lappland and West Bothnia for Västerbotten (and corresponding forms) are common in English literature.Swedes writing in English have long used Swedish-language name forms only.

The Swedish RB-crew have to decide how to spell the names.

Regions (21) or provinces (25)
The Swedes have to decide this.

2 Likes

White the ancient provinces (landskap) are more known, at least among the older generation, it makes no sense to divide into anything but the new official subdivision (län).

The latin names are probably not known to anyone anywhere, with the exception of Dalecarlia and Scania, which are used in English.

7 Likes

While you’re at it, could you please transfer Bohuslän, Jämtland and Härjedalen to Norway? Thanking you in advance.

1 Like

Agree, with the statement vs latin - not in common use.
And pls use provinces… @Bryne

1 Like

Or, put Norway as a province under Sweden?:wink:

And do give Viken and Oslo to the sweedish so we get rid of that expence.

1 Like

Are there any shortcuts for postal codes in these regions in Sweden btw that will make things easier for admins?

1 Like

Postal codes are ambiguous, and not always easy to find out for brewers, so that won’t help.
We have control over in what region all breweries belong though, so it’s just a matter of assigning them.

1 Like

OH NO
I do not want Bohuslän back
Where should I but cheap beer then

Skjerpings @Sigmund

Keeping Swedish prices should be a condition for the merge. But 3.5% “folköl” would have to go.

1 Like

Yes - “folköl” have to go!

1 Like

Hello @omhper do you actually have a list of the Swedish Ian or whatever than are called? I think I misunderstood you to mean that the regular Swedish names were the län vs latin names. Typically it’s a lot more helpful when people post links or copy and paste the correct list rather than just saying “your shit is wrong…”

2 Likes