Upload photos for beer here

My god, and we’ve just given away the key. Now the international plot against Ratebeer by malicious forces will come to fruition. I’d bet the Mormons will be behind it.

3 Likes

Question
With this Costco advent calendar everybody is madly rating about there also came about a dilemma: the beers in the calendar were probably canned for Costco and their appearance are quite different from what the original pictures. Should we send the photos of the new cans of the same beer? And then how can it be displayed? Will anyone take time to maybe create a frame with two pictures?

I know it’s probably a lot harder than it sounds, but I like the idea of allowing for at least 2 images per beer. Bottle and Can? Or in the case of some beers, perhaps older label art vs newer?

I kind of like the historical aspect of showing older art, especially for beers that may have been consumed by many of us over a decade ago at this point.

1 Like

I see this now with wrapped art cans, but some uploaders either partially unwind the label for a full shot, or like me, shoot two cans/bottles back to font. A lot of label art has zero information.

Great point on that too! I’m always struggling with what part of the label I should take a shot of.

Unrolled is probably best, but not always possible given the kind of glue used on the can/bottle.

I suppose it doesn’t really matter how the two images are utilized site-wide, they could be a case-by-case basis. Old label/new label, front label/back label.

Thinking that this would be a good improvement (added to the long list of improvements).

1 Like

I mean, so many beers have multiple versions. Obviously macros like Bud are marketed with a number of labels but micros like Collective Arts also brew each beer with different arts on the front. Ideally, we would be more like UT that has everyone posting their image of the receptacle but that would be a seismic shift for the site.

It would be pretty cool for each to have a gallery. AKA you could have a can, bottle, maybe what it looks like in a glass. Historical labels. Then each page could have a section that says something like label history. Like maybe one definitive photo, which might be updated as label changes, and then a section with historical labels, drafts, etc.

One way to accomplish this would be using the system we already have of liking people’s rating. Maybe if an admin, or even two admins, thumbs up a photo it gets automatically added to the beer’s photo history? Or five premium members or something?

If everyone could add a photo with their rating or review that would be great. But it would also be good to have a definitive, somewhat curated section at the top which has prominent well-focused, non blurry photos of each label/can/bottle. Maybe a tab by quick ratings or something if people want to see it?

Ya obviously this would be great if someone was actually going to code it.

Then, maybe for now I can upload them here until -and if- somebody decides to do something about them?

True, but also in many cases we only happen to have one of each can.

1 Like

So am I the only one unwrapping labels, taking pictures, documenting & cutting up cans into cute grain feeders for the city’s rodent population?

2 Likes

The CostCo Advent cans usually have some key label aspects that match parts of the “original/local” labels. We could have the same concern over old labels and new labels - different, but key things match. It’s helpful that clicking on a pic allows a larger image.

:joy: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: How do you unwrap a spray painted can?

Not too many of those? Most are very neatly/tightly shrink plasticy wraps. Find the connection, carefully begin a peel, and whoosh - or tear :frowning:

Oh, I unwrap them! The grain feeders, not so much. :rofl:

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone cares or is able to do anything about this even if they did care, but I’ve been uploading photos using the backdoor trick to the old website. It’s all fine on the website version, they show up there. But the photos never show up on the app if uploaded that way.

This one for example, entered the photo using old method a month or so ago. Shows up here but doesn’t appear on app:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/monument-city-woodstove/575929/128160/

2 Likes

I’m sure the site owner and developer will care and be interested :rofl:

2 Likes

Maybe there’s some kind of caching going on. You’d think that the app would just reference the same media location, but my app building understanding is about a decade out of date…

I’ve been using the workaround for the last few months, clearing out a folder on my computer with label photos I took.

1 Like

Kind of off topic but I’ve always wanted to be able to add more pics for places I’ve been to. A small photo album type thingy. That’d be Schweeeet! Wishful thinking I know.

I don’t use the app so I’m no help there. I have no problem, for the most part adding pics to beers that don’t have one. Just takes a little while to see them.

1 Like

Nice beer by the way. :+1:

1 Like

Ya it was s pretty good beer. Those guys have generally been solid. Probably @beastiefan2k hates them

1 Like