2023 Beer Goals and aspirations

OK, time for new thread for 2023 and your plans and hopes.

If you want to bring in your 2022 beer goal posts please do, but this is for 2023 really.

I will go first.

I want to stay fit and healthy, which will mean I calm down a bit beer wise (I am 69 and overweight by more than a few lbs).

I want to stay around the 120 mark in the most rated beer list.

I want to stay the top rater of Shropshire beers.

I want to stay on the list for the top reviewer of places, most countries rated and most regions rated.

That will do, although I would also like to review a place in every English County (38 so far) and reach 100 regions of places rated (currently on 93).

<*))))))><

10 Likes

Continuing my quest to try every brick & mortar brewery in Ontario. The count is a bit iffy with the status of some of them not being clear (e.g. one on hiatus, one not clear if itā€™s a client brewery etc.) but I have around 15 left. (7 if I use an open in 2021 cut-off vs the moving target, since more keep opening!) I am planning a trip around ticking some of the more northern options so this should be theoretically doable.

I have a longstanding goal of ticking my last handful of regions for England and USA but have not plans to actually make an effort to do so, so that one is unlikely to get completed.

10 Likes

-15000 is coming soon. Hope to get some brewery to make a beer for it.
-more beer travel, and to find a better-defined tasting group in Prague, if I stay there.

10 Likes
  1. Get to 1900 breweries sampled to set me up for big 2K in 2024
  2. I sampled beer from 112 styles last year, try and beat that number
  3. Work on getting all styles towards 20 rates, sub-goals:
    a. 197 rates away, reduce this by 25% aka 49 brews
    b. 32 styles still under get 5 more above the 20 mark
  4. Get to 300 regions sampled
  5. achieve all that by drinking less overall
7 Likes

2023 goals:

1. Get to below 1,000 with respect to state ticks necessary to tick 100 beers in every state. Currently have 1,600 or so left, so 600 may be doable in the upcoming yearā€¦

2. Finally visit every New York brewery. I made some progress this year, but am still missing Queens Brewing, the new Alewife, NS Beer, the second location of Strong Rope, and the new Gun Hill.

3. Trade my spare Kyrgyzstan tick to a Ratebeerian. Hint hint.

4. Meet some Philadelphian ratebeerians when I live there in a few months.

5. Go to every Philadelphia brewery. I think I just got barrel splitters, Philadelphia Brewing, Mainstay, Manayunk, Iron Hill Center City, New Ridge, Twisted Gingers, Dock Street South, Cartesian, Humble Parlor, Brewery ARS Kensington, Meyers.

9 Likes

Good question!

• Try as many new breweries as possible. I did 195 last year (roughly, a few were backlog) so Iā€™d like to beat that if I can. A long-term goal is to try beer from 5,000 breweries - Iā€™m at 4,355 now. So will keep plugging away.

• Focus on local breweries and the handful of non-London breweries I truly enjoy.

• Get all my rating backlog done! I made good strides on that in 2022. Donā€™t think I have too much left.

• Keep drinking beer from my cellar. I have more than I would like!

• Do more place ratings. I just need to get out more (tricky with two kids under four but not impossible).

8 Likes

Google thinks itā€™s permanently closed and the last untappd check in is September so i think you can cross this one off your list.

Spare Kyrgyz tick? How?

Long story, but basically sister in law was just there and picked up a bunch of beers from a brewery that was not even on RB yet. It is now on RB.

1 Like

Damn. Another bites the dust. now NS Beer is on the list with Braven and the old Chelsea brewery of brewers that were open in NY while I lived there that I never visited.

When I left NYC 5yrs ago I had visited every brewery in city limits other than Island to Island or some name like that I think they are closed now.

Taking a cue from Travlr, getting ever closer to fully abandoning Hazies, Still not immune to the charms of NZ hops though, and get suckered back in. Sugary Imperial Stouts (12%+) might also get fully dismissed.

Looking forward to visiting Art History, Afterthought, Double Clutch

Hoping Sierra Nevada tries and convicts those responsible for letting the Hazy Little Things take over their portfolio.

Fully enter my backlog.

5 Likes

Bullet points:

1. Drink more barleywine
  2. see (1.)
  3. see (2.)
  4. Love to reach 25% of rated beers (not ticked) 10% ABV or higher. 20.9% today.
6 Likes

You should post over in this months beer style thread that just started today

1 Like

Simples for me - sort out the bloody backlog! Then review where Iā€™m actually at - consider goals at that point. Got a holiday to Cape Verde at Easter so that will be a new country and I will try and rate as many different beers as I can find (the wife will allow me to find).

6 Likes

A few addenda based on othersā€™ input. Not so much ā€˜goalsā€™ for me as much as changes in my drinking preferences.

• Drink fewer hazies, more westies. I used to love hazy IPAs but now I am way more discriminating. Iā€™ve always loved traditional west coast IPAs and that affinity has surged back in the past year.

• Drink fewer pastries. I quite like the style but I very rarely find myself at home wanting to drink a whole can. Iā€™ll keep a few on hand, though, for the occasions when I do.

• Drink more lager. Iā€™ve always loved lager but it kind of got crowded out amid the growth of all other craft beer styles. So I make a little greater effort to drink plain old lager, especially stuff from Germany and Czech.

8 Likes
  1. I think beer and place rating wise Iā€™m going to be happy with treading water. Itā€™s getting harder and harder to rate 100+ places per year! I will try for 1275 places and 7500 beers by the end of the year.

2. Visit and rate places at least one new UK county (Iā€™m missing 6), or at least beef up one of my weaker counties with 5 or less.

3. Continue to chase slightly less common styles I like: bocks, brown ales, Scotch ales, Baltic porters. Get those numbers up and divert myself away from pales, sours, impy stouts and bitters.

4. Try beer from at least 3 new countries, taking me to 80. Itā€™s getting harder!

5. Seek out good beer from the US and the Continent. Itā€™s getting harder and harder to find anything affordable.

6. At the same time, drink more local beer. Sometimes my rate-chasing means I ignore local breweries more than I should, and the two we lost in Leicester this year (West End and Framework) really hit home. Use ā€˜em or lose ā€˜em.

Iā€™d love to add an overseas trip to my goals but this isnā€™t likely.

Addendum: Iā€™m coming up to my 10-year anniversary in May. So while not a goal thatā€™s kind of exciting.

8 Likes

Drink good beer. (Failed)

Get to 1k/500/100/100 rates in cider categories.

Drink good beer part deux.

Be the top rater of at least one major metropolitan brewpub out of state.
6 Likes

Maybe if they werenā€™t sugary, harsh on the throat and didnā€™t look like sewageā€¦
Or is that the whole point?
:crazy_face:
Most that I try from local to me suck anyway so I totally agree and have for awhile.

Indeed. Iā€™m very pleased to see new ones appearing, many weighing in under 7%.
Now if someone, anyone would take an interest in making pale alesā€¦
:exploding_head:

3 Likes

Like many users have mentioned before me, cutting back a bit is an aspiration this year, drinking 3 - 4 ā€œcraft cansā€ a day is unsustainable both physically and financially.

An average of 2 new beers a day will take me comfortably to 18k, Iā€™m not going to get in the Overall Top 50 anytime soon, but keeping comfortably in the top 75 would be good. A box of 24 new rates from dry drinker is on its way, which should help an otherwise quite dry Jan (after the @cgarvieuk tasting on the 2nd, which doesnā€™t count!)

Iā€™d like to stay top of Northumberland, for no other great reason that Iā€™m already comfortably there. I should be back in Amble in late June, so a trip to Brewis and Northumbrian Gifts in Alnwick should net maybe double-figures of new rates. I might have to resort to hitting the meads though.

Iā€™ve 3 styles to get - ice perry and two sakes. I know ice perry isnā€™t that hard to come by if youā€™re willing to drop Ā£25 on a 500ml bottle, Iā€™ve just never prioritised it over beer, but it might be fun to complete the styles. One of the sakes I know is stocked at a fancy Japanese restaurant in Edinburgh, but itā€™s a risk to book a meal for four there and they donā€™t have it in. Might look again at the Japan Centre online shop and see if they have one or both of them, but IIRC itā€™s hard to work out the exact style on their shop vs. where RB cetegorises them.

Sheffield is on the radar for me and a non-RB pal who try and meet up somewhere a couple of times a year for a ramble through good pubs and architecture of a British town. Last year we only managed Hull, but it was well worth it. The RB-planned trip in March is too soon for me, Iā€™d rather wait until the trains are back to their normal terrible service, rather the current nearly non-existent service. Sheffield would be a weekend trip from Edinburgh, I donā€™t drive and donā€™t fancy the coach.

Other than that, probably some local Scottish festivals, maybe IMBC as that was fun last year. Oh and weā€™re holidaying by ferry & train to Copenhagen with the family in the summer, and I should be allowed out for a couple of hours to do some furious ticking in a Mikkeller venue or two.

5 Likes