2023 Beer Goals and aspirations

100 beer ratings is the goal. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Get to 40 US states rated- going on a road trip this summer, and Arkansas is on the list.

Visit as many breweries as possible in the Austin, TX area as I can because I’m moving outta here next year in January.

4 Likes

Some modest goals for 2023:

1. Drink less than in 2022

2. Take a couple of months off again this year

3. Pick up four or five new countries - stuck on 134 since 2021

4. Visit a new ex-Soviet country (a failed goal from 2021) and try some of the (not macro) beers on-site

5. Get 10 new region ticks - currently on 322

Nothing big really, the first two are entirely doable, number three and four depend on whether the borders are open, number five could be done locally but would involve a lot of hunting around and perhaps some travelling to the north, east, or south of the country (if I’m looking for domestic regions).

4 Likes
  1. Hit 100 countries and 260 regions rated.
  2. Hit the top 50 list for Virginia, Massachusetts, and maybe one or two more depending on travel.
  3. Get place rates in four or more new states (at 24 once backlog entered).
  4. Reach 100 rates in Indiana, Oregon, Michigan, Rhode Island, North Dakota and another one or two depending on travel plans.
  5. Get to double digits in five more styles (currently missing 21).
5 Likes

No real goals as I have done most of the stuff I really wanted to do as far as beer goals go.

That being said…

Would like to finish the us states, but not sure how i will manage it, haven’t made any progress in the last couple of years. But then again I haven’t made a real effort.

Will try to drink all of the Portuguese craft available in Lisbon while I’m here. 100+ ticks should be easy. 200 or 300 looks like the proper challenge :smiley:

My first trip to US is being planned. This have been one of my long standing goals (visiting US). That being said, not sure if I will visit more than NY, so this probably will not help with the state hunt.

General aim is to avoid bad beers (anything with lactose can go and #@€% itself), but I know this will be difficult because I still want to tick. Tickers gotta tick after all…

4 Likes

In NYC, Rhode Island is trivial and Louisiana should be pretty easy. Other two you are missing would be pretty much impossible.

2 Likes

Funnily enough, you could probably get a few Mexican state ticks in New York by just picking up swill like Tecate.

1 Like

A few vague goals for 2023:

1. Get to 5000 ticks - started the year at 4085
  2. Achieve 305 region ticks - currently 297
  3. Climb onto a few more English county Top 50 lists - on 7 currently
  4. As above with Wales - 0 regions so far, & Scotland - 4 regions currently
  5. Get to 1000 place rates, on 920 currently
  6. Keep trying to get all styles to 15 rates, 20 styles left. Probably impossible tbf…!
  7. Rate beers from 2000 breweries, I’m just north of 1700 currently
  8. Maintain any places on lists I’ve achieved
5 Likes

I don’t have too many goals, but I think 2,500 NJ ticks would be cool, and 11,000 overall seems reasonable.

4 Likes

4 Months in:
OK, time for new thread for 2023 and your plans and hopes.

If you want to bring in your 2022 beer goal posts please do, but this is for 2023 really.

I will go first.

I want to stay fit and healthy, which will mean I calm down a bit beer wise (I am 69 and overweight by more than a few lbs).
I am still fit and healthy but haven’t really cut back or lost any weight.

I want to stay around the 120 mark in the most rated beer list.

Currently 113, but that’s because so many had stopped rating above me, not how I wanted to rise up the leader board really.

I want to stay the top rater of Shropshire beers.
Still top with 529, @minutemat is closing in with 471.

I want to stay on the list for the top reviewer of places, most countries rated and most regions rated.

980 places reviewed. 160 Countries and 343 regions beers rated.

That will do, although I would also like to review a place in every English County (38 so far) and reach 100 regions of places rated (currently on 93).

40 English Counties and 95 regions.

All going well so far apart from the weight issue.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

Get 10 rates for New Mexico and even harder get 10 rates for South Dakota.

1. Ended 2023 at 5053 ticks. Done
  2. Got to 319 regions. Done
  3. Currently in Top 50 of 14 English counties. Done
  4. Currently in Top 50 of 2 Welsh counties & 6 Scottish regions. Done
  5. Finished on 977 place rates, a good few on the backlog though! Fail
  6. Down to 14 styles where I’ve not got at least 15 rates. To be continued…
  7. Finished 2023 with beers from 1979 breweries rated. Fail
  8. Mostly achieved (I think)

How did everyone else get on?

1 Like
  1. Failed this as I am still around 1300.
  2. Still have not gone to the new Gun Hill.
  3. Gave this to @martjoobolut
  4. Haven’t met any of them, but I tried a little.
  5. Missing Mainstay, Manayunk, Iron Hill Center City, and Twisted Gingers.

I have failed.

3 Likes
  1. thru 3. Did not drink enough barleywine.
    4 Climbed to 21.5%. Not bad. Long way to go to reach 25%. It’s all about the journey. :slightly_smiling_face:
1 Like

Failed

3 Likes

I am still fairly fit and healthy, now 70 and even more over weight than I was at the beginning of 2023. Mini fail!

Currently 95th in most rated list, sadly because of people ‘giving up & leaving’. Failed to stay around the 120th mark.

Still top of Shropshire, but @minutemat is catching me, 568 rates for me, Mat is on 524, only 44 behind.

Doing OK with my aspirations on the Top Reviewer of Places, Most Countries and Most Regions, not really moved up or down much but staying ‘steady’.

40 English counties now reviewed and 96 Regions World Wide (24 Countries).

Happy with 2023 in general Beer Wise. 2024 goals will be revealed once someone starts the thread!

<*))))))><

2 Likes

My only real goal was to sort out the backlog - managed to chip off a bit of it, but it’s still significant; also did go to Cape Verde at Easter and drank a few different beers - but alas, not got round to rating them yet. So all in all a big fat fail, must do better

2 Likes

And I thank you kind sir :slight_smile: If you guys ever come to Estonia, let me know will happily show you around in Tallinn and share some great beers.

@mansquito and @explosivedog helped here also, thanks! I think I’m still missing Mississipi, but I’m sure I will get it at some point.

Did more than 400 new Portugese beers when I was there. Portugal has pretty active local craft scene, Dois Corvos alone releases 1-2 new beers in a week.

NYC was a blast, wished I stayed there a bit longer. Definitely recommend visiting it! Meeting @explosivedog and sharing some beers was great. I must say that rb probably has one of the nicest communities.

Impossible to avoid lactose, but I skipped some ticks … also drinking lacto sours if there are no other ticks.

4 Likes

I managed to achieve the goal of having tried every brewery open pre-2021. I am glad I did this but I am probably not going to work super hard at ticking off those last ones. There area about 5-10 left i haven’t tried that opened later than that, but of those a few are a bit sketchy as to whether or not they are actually brewing. At a certain point it started feeling like work, and there were a couple road trips that were just a slog driving between breweries and getting cans to go that didn’t feel as satisfying as taking a proper trip to enjoy new places.

I probably had less than 20 new non-Canadian ratings beers this year so definitely no progress on this one!

1 Like

See below in bold

3 Likes

Rated 101, goal was 100. Hit that.
Top 3 styles rated styles 2023 for me:
Pale Lager - American: 11
Malt Liquor: 8
Pilsener/Pils/Pilsner: 7

Didn’t get to 40 US states rated, but did get a new country rated ( Hello Nigeria!).

2024 goals : 100 rates, at least one new style I haven’t rated yet, and 1 new state or country that I haven’t rated yet either.

5 Likes