Ask The RateBeer Team!

Abuse.
It was implemented in a simple way and users were replacing good pictures of the label with blurred pictures of their greasy glass, maybe thinking that they were adding a picture to the gallery.

The next step of the implementation to make it safer is easy, but i haven’t heard that it’s a priority, so in the meantime it has simply been switched off.

3 Likes

Well, shame on any Admins that approved shitty pics as replacements. Shrugs.

I meant,that happened when any user could freely upload any picture without control.

In a better world we could have one of the following options:

• upload multiple pictures, like Untappd
  • allow users to upload a picture only if it’s missing, but not if one already exists
1 Like

They were being automatically overwritten. :slight_smile: So, as most times, the admins aren’t at fault but the system, but nice to see that we, as always, take the blame.

5 Likes

Is the message in Bryan Roth’s 2/4/19 article on Good Beer Hunting off, then?

“ Following a series of what was internally considered unfruitful investments, ZX started to take a turn to better support its parent company, AB InBev. Instead of acting as a “disruption” arm to invest in a variety of projects around the world, former ZX employees told GBH about changes to company culture and long-term planning, and the growing feeling that “companies owned by ZX should serve ABI.”

6 Likes

Had it been removed? I thought rb had it, it was just locked behind premium membership

2 Likes

The person answering that might actually not be aware of that. :smiley: Keep in mind that all of them were/?are? non-users before coming on board and non-raters after they arrived so every single detail about the website might actually not be known to them.

2 Likes

Dear, could u please take away the log in demand. On the main page, it’s happens 3-4 times a week. The forum page is always locked so 10 ish times per week there.

Cheers // Thomas

Ideally, users could upload a pic of the Beer, linked with their rating, just for the fun of it. But the Beer page pic should remain under admin control IMO.

1 Like

We had this in place, and I’ll check with the code to see what broke:

a) if no image in place, allow user, admin, brewery representative to uploaded image

b) if there is an image, disallow user and allow admin and brewery representative

4 Likes

Same should be the case for place and brewery images

2 Likes

Didn’t show up on the front page but clicking on the glass…there it is.

I didn’t mean to sound like I was harping on the Admins…

1 Like

Or easier:
b) if there is an image, allow user to add a picture to be verified by admin, and allow admin and brewery representative

We already have a lot of verifying work to do, if we receive notifications to choose between many sent users pics, this will be even worse…

So when I send a pic by email, who exactly receives it?

1 Like

The pics are sent to a Godaddy.com webmail, which will eventually be treated by a volunteering admin… if not, the mail can get full.

1 Like

Thanks!

Could @joet or someone from ratebev comment on this message discrepancy (independent vs. serve ABI)? Please just shoot us straight, to the best of how you know it at this time.

3 Likes

…the old uploader still works - just use this link and add the BeerID to the end of it: https://www.ratebeer.com/upload/post.asp?m=1&Id=

1 Like