BotM May’24: Kölsch

Kölsch is a refreshing style of beer that stands out for its crisp drinkability and exceptional balance of malt and fruit flavors. But what exactly gives Kölsch beer its unique taste?

Most beers are categorized as either ales or lagers, depending on the type of yeast used during fermentation. Technically speaking, ales are brewed with top-fermenting yeasts at higher temperatures, resulting in bolder and fruitier flavored beers like IPAs. Lagers, on the other hand, are made with bottom-fermenting yeasts at cooler temperatures, leading to crisper, more malt-forward beers like Pilsners. Kölsch beer, however, blurs these lines by using a hybrid brewing technique.

Originating in Cologne, Germany, the Kölsch beer technique requires fermenting with ale yeast, then finishing at cold temperatures, like a lager. The result is a style that exhibits some of the best characteristics of both categories. Kölsch tends to be light and drinkable, often with a touch of subtle fruitiness and spice like an ale but with a crisper, cleaner finish you would expect from a pale lager. These attributes make Kölsch an extremely quaffable style of beer that still has a bit of integrity and is perfect for any occasion. {Food&Wine}

2 Likes

Umlaut notes

To pronounce “ö” as you should, you need to form your lips as in “o” first, and again imagine somebody pulling on your lips. We can compare it with when you say “her” in English. The sound between the letters “h” and “r” is the sound you need. A classic example of confusion with “ö” is the words “schon” (already) and “schön” (beautiful). As you can easily see, it might make a difference in your choice.

Windows shortcuts:
Ö = Alt+0214
ö = Alt+0246

On iPhone hold down the letter O in either uppercase or lower case position and a menu will pop up and you can pick your Umlaut

4 Likes

Fruh/Brewdog King Kölsch

5 Likes

Finally some action!

1 Like

I’ll be your huckleberry…

4 Likes

Boom! A BotM I can contribute to! Muhlen Kolsch, enjoyed in a nice little bar in Mainz

4 Likes

Mühlen Kölsch is my classic favorite from Cologne!

2 Likes

Turkish kölsch!

7 Likes

Fresh add Tilted Barn Strange Design get your RI suds

3 Likes

Just you and me @Jow (mostly)

Deya Sun Hour

4 Likes

@nuplastikk Kölsch was your suggestion so best get on in here or else see your BotM cred sullied. :pinched_fingers:

1 Like

3 Likes

King Valley Kölsch
Not deep and meaningful but gluggable with a spicy bitter kick.

4 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

Steam works Colorado Kolsch

3 Likes

Mountain Sun Big Krane on with lunch on patio n on a sunny day at Boulder brewpub

3 Likes

damn, i want this one

So, are people happy with their koslch?