East of England as a region

I agree in principle. But when i worked for the OU this is how we divided up the regions so it made sense to me even if it doesn’t make sense.

Yes. As per South Coast teams being dirty French bastards.

1 Like

I think it’s a push to claim these for East Midlands, well and truly Yorkshire.

As I stated … I’m not claiming they are

They join up the rail map of that area from my childhood days … you don’t want to be kicked off at Chesterfield or Retford? Not exactly helpful !

On a beer note. Just trying this beer that may or may not be from the East of England.

1 Like

nice home counties beer :grin:

1 Like

I do understand the controversy about some of these so-called ‘Eastern’ counties.

As a native of NW Beds I would have Beds, Bucks, Herts as the Home Counties but no idea if that’s an official definition. I’d perhaps class Oxfordshire as Southern Central but again probably down to individual interpretation.

Another for example, is Essex in the East of England or the South East? Could be argued as either or both, maybe!

Official call on Home Counties are those bordering G London … so Beds misses out

BUCKS, HERTS, ESSEX, KENT, SURREY & BERKS

But I know what you mean … Beds a 2nd tier home county with Sussexes, Oxfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hampshire

Don’t forget Middlesex !

1 Like

Yeah that irks me, Banbury where I was born and grew up always always felt more aligned with the Midlands, but I guess that there is not really a defined South Midlands region. However when you look at the South of the county Henley, Goring etc and then compare to Banbury in the North it really is chalk and cheese. I think that Banbury is officially where the South East ends and the Midlands begins, but as much as I think it should be Midlands, geographically it is considered South East.

Hey now!

Most-rated East of England breweries

Three Blind Mice 74
Greene King 55
Oakham 52
Adnams 42
Eagle Brewery 41

Too much macro and meh-cro on that list. Nice to see TBM top but I see few of their beers round my way these days.

The highest rated breweries (no Bedfordshire!)

Little Earth Project (5) 3.68
Burnt Mill (5) 3.64
Mad Squirrel (12) 3.5
Three Blind Mice (74) 3.48
Tring (13) 3.46

Lesson: I need to seek out more Burnt Mill and LEP because apparently I like them.

I lived two block from Greene King and it’s like a badge of honor that I have half the ratings of there beer than you at 27.

2 Likes

I know, it’s a disgrace. We get West Midlands TV in Banbury but just down the road they get Southern from Southampton!

Here we go for my East of England stats -

Bedfordshire - 158 Ratings, 1st place with an Ave of 2.75 (Worst County) across 10 Breweries
Cambridgeshire - 343 Ratings, 3rd place, Ave 3.34 across 32 breweries.
Essex - 180 Ratings, 8th place, Ave 3.30 across 33 Breweries.
Hertfordshire - 155 Ratings, 6th place, Ave 3.09 across 14 Breweries.
Norfolk - 445 Ratings, 2nd place, Ave 3.20 across 54 Breweries.
Suffolk - 488 Ratings, 2nd place, Ave 3.04 across 38 Breweries.

Breweries with most ratings -

1. Greene King - 138
  2. Adnams - 96
  3. Oakham - 89
  4. Eagle Brewery - 82
  5. Tring - 58
  6. Nethergate - 51

Highest Rated Breweries -

1. Crouch Valley - 3.70 (33)
  2. Oakham - 3.66 (89)
  3. Burnt Mill - 3.53 (20)
  4. Milton - 3.52 (20)
  5. Little Earth - 3.48 (5)
  6. Duration - 3.48 (6)

I do get to Norfolk regularly and obviously Peterborough Beer Festival on an annual basis, otherwise it’s a bit of a struggle as we don’t get West to East public transport from here, so 4th place overall is good going for me.