FIFA World Cup Virtual Bar Friday 15th June

Open to everyone and anyone.

But you can only drink beers from the countries in the finals (sorry no Italian, American, Canadian or Dutch beers allowed).

Who’s up for it?

Please add your name on the Events List: https://www.ratebeer.com/event/55689/

<*))))))><

3 Likes

For the non-football fans who don’t know who’s beers you can’t drink in the FIFA bar I have added a list of the final 32 teams:

Five-time winners Brazil are there, as are defending champions Germany, plus Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Egypt, England, France, Iceland, Iran, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Panama, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia and Uruguay.

If you can’t find some decent beers from that lot, you are not trying very hard!

<*))))))><

Sounds good. A few of those countries I still need to try a beer from but have done most of them.

Problem is my current stash is massive so I don’t want to be buying more beers than I need and don’t have many of those countries right now. Off the top of my head I have only these 6:
Belgium, Denmark, England (obviously), Poland, Spain and Sweden

But that’s enough to join in, they account for well over half my stash :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only English, Belgian, French and German beers in my stash from the 32 currently.

Not going to rush out and buy anything rash, like a Mexican peasant lager or a Polish Tramp Juice Special, but I may peruse the shelves and see whats about. Hopefully someone somewhere will be offering a beer box with 32 beers in it for the World Cup.

<*))))))><

Not 100% sure but I think Beers of Europe usually do boxes like that for Euros/WC. Often mostly full of lagers and macro stuff though so I’ve never bothered.

I don’t see USA or Italy on that list

2 Likes

I like using Beers of Europe, but I could see their selection being, as you say ‘lagers and macro’. Who ever does do one may struggle with Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia (I need two of those), plus a couple of others as well.

<*))))))><

That’s because they are on the not allowed list on the original post Rich.

<*))))))><

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/world-cup-mixed-pack

Not a bad effort, but only two beers I’ve not had, so will not be buying.

<*))))))><

Sounds great. I am in.
Right now I have Portugal, Spain, Belgium and Germany in my cellar. 4 of the favourites.
The Spain vs Portugal game in the first week will be fun for me :clap:

1 Like

Yeah similarly I’ve either had most of those or am not that interested in the others. Would rather hunt around for some decent craft options if available, otherwise I’ll go without for now.

1 Like

At least fourteen of these countries should be easy to find in time for opening day :slight_smile: I should probably start collecting.

1 Like

That depends where you live… I’ve got access to limited Belgian, Australian and English imports. Can get shitty lagers from maybe four more?

Of course the majority of the games are on at times where I’m probably not going to be getting deep into the beers anyway. I could probably find a Russian lager somewhere but I’m not sure I’d crack it out at 7am on a Wednesday regardless.

The next world cup in Qatar will be difficult for us Europeans to watch at a sensible hour, we have dropped lucky for this one (again). Is New Zealand a bit of an international desert for imports beer wise? I suppose the lack of your population and it being split in two doesn’t help.

<*))))))><

How so? Yekaterinburg is further east and two more time zones ahead than Qatar, so it should be just as easy to watch as this World Cup. And it’ll be in late November until the week before Christmas, so we’ll all be indoors.

1 Like

Nice, I’m in! I have loads of Polish, Swedish and German beers that I have to drink pretty soon, plus some Russian, English, Belgian and Danish. Should be fun!

2 Likes

Qatar is GMT + 3 hours, I stand corrected.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Six people currently committed, five more and we’ll have a team!

<*))))))><

1 Like

Our imports are certainly limited by our geography, but there’s also a fair bit of misfortune right now. We get occasional imports from Denmark and Japan but none recently. Get plenty of US, Dutch, Italian, Scottish and Welsh imports but none of them qualified. I did forget Sweden last time and one of the import companies recently got in a whole load of Swedish beers.

1 Like

Friday 15th June is also ‘Beer Day Britain’.

<*))))))><