How much longer will you "Ratebeer"?

:frowning:

Where did they go? Untappd, BA?

That’s odd. On my phone it lists them alphabetically.

I thought of stopping at 3K, will see at 4K!

I am not on any other beer sites and so I have no way of knowing. They may have simply quit rating. It’s not as if we NEED RateBeer the way we did 20 years ago in order to find good beer. I can find good craft beer 20 miles away at the local grocery and no longer have to travel 4 hours to find craft beer.

1 Like

I am losing interest in rating for sure. I frequently have beers and don’t even think about rating, I just get in on drinking and forget about what I might rate it.
But I want to make it to the 20 year mark in April 2020, to keep my streak going at least that long (only ratebeerian to rate at least one beer every month the site has been online, since April 2000).

9 Likes

Indefinitely for me means indefinitely. I will stop today if it starts seeming like work again. I stopped for a couple years because it started to seem like a job.

2 Likes

I’ll probably stay as I don’t really have the energy to build my own database with all the variables I want, but I’m mostly using untappd when I’m out with friends and then transfer my ratings onto ratebeer at a later stage since I don’t wanna interrupt my social interaction with friends too much.

1 Like

It’s tough to say how long ill Ratebeer, It’s not hard to see the death spiral this website is in. This site used to be my go to for trip planning and now the database for places is laughably out of date. New beers and breweries in my area seem to get added by me more than not. In contrast I rarely add beer or places to Untappd but its not so user friendly for trip planning, I’m here for now

If nothing else, this serves as a record of what I’ve had before. I’m not willing to go back through Untappd to rate thousands of beers in backlog, so this is it. I’m in for the long-haul.

2 Likes

Been here so long now i will stick with it. Will be 15 years next Monday.
Had my ups and downs ans/d by no means loyal…but its comfortable to me now.
Just need to stay of the bloody political forums when drinking :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice profile picture @Reid

1 Like

It’s not user friendly at all, but neither is ratebeer nowadays

I heard it’s power user friendly, but that doesn’t concern me.

3 Likes

I am currently planning a road trip to Berlin from the UK.

RateBeer has helped me choose the stop off’s on route and we are staying in two brewpubs and very close to another on our journey. New (to us) German towns of Remscheid, Lauenau and Bad Belzig will be explored and plenty of new rates will be had (I hope). The place reviews have been invaluable in the planning.

The return journey will take even longer and I have so far picked Gommern, Quedinburg, Hannover and Leverkusen before resting in Brugge for three night before going home.

So RateBeer Place Reviews are used and I hope plenty of people carry on posting them, I certainly will.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

Don’t worry - joet and InBev will break the places section soon too!

3 Likes

This is spot on analysis

Not to sound all “Get off my bier garden” But I’ve pretty much just used the site for ratings for about 10 years now. I’m not going anywhere but the old days of it feeling like a community and not a mega site seemed to have passed.

4 Likes

I tried switching to BA after the sellout and I hated it. I entered 215 beers through my backlog on here and then gave up. Untappd is ridiculously stupid and so unorganized. Ratebeer is the only site useful to me. I love the stats and the system here best. Working for the largest craft beer distributor in my region (not to mention everything MillerCoors, I’ll be upfront about it) for nearly 25 years has conditioned me to hate everything that AB/InBev stands for. I’ve seen the dirty tricks and unscrupulous business practices they get up to live and in person out in the market, so it’s really pained me to stick around this site. But Ratebeer is what I’m used to and I’ve put too much work in here to give up now. I’ll never pay for premium again, for sure. I just hope things get better here, and there’s no bias ever towards AB/InBev products. If I sense even a little bit of that, I’ll just suck it up and use one of the other sites, no matter how much I dislike them.

4 Likes

I might be a bit out of line, but reading so many people lamenting about big beer, dirty tricks, bias, etc. one gets the impression that there are a bunch of people who are sacrificing their time, money and well-being daily only to ensure independent and impartial data on beer exists!
Does anyone really believe this?
Or are we just bunch of aspiring alcoholics trying to rationalize an immature perspective into consuming as much beer as possible?
I hope we are at least in between

6 Likes