A Californian Odyssey

Speechless.

I

am

without

speech

1 Like

Twenty one new rates.

Eight @ Artifex and thirteen @ Lost Winds, a new brewery to me also.

Pizza guy outside Artifex, we had to have one.
Taco stall outside Lost Winds, we had a selection.

T’is fun out here!

<*))))))><

1 Like

Today was supposed to be a quiet day with a tasting session in the evening.

Doing OK until my son-in-law starts bringing in stuff I wasn’t expecting.

<*))))))><

An Arrogant Bastard at home!

<*))))))><

1 Like

Beer hunting still going strong and off to San Diego for a couple of nights, catching the train in three hours.

155 new Californian beers so far plus beers from 16 other states and 18 different countries. I have also got some interesting stuff for Cotterridge and my friends who come to the Shrewsbury Beer Exchange evenings.

More pictures and updates once we are in San Diego.

<*))))))><

Ocean Beach is where our hotel is, Newport Avenue is the local ‘happening place’, luckily that’s just outside our door.

Pizza Port first, then Ocean Beach brewery.

Then across the road to here:

Most of happy hour was spend in the Raglan:

<*))))))><

You close to being in the top 50 Californian raters yet Jezza?

1 Like

This is a very solid forum thread. Enjoying it Jezza.

1 Like

Only half way mate. 1276 is the current 50th total, I will pass 700 today. I notice you and a well known American living in London are both within the 50 though.

I do try and pick non-Californiashire beers, even on flights if I can, just to keep the other states kicking along on my stats, but even if I stuck to just local brews I would still be a long way off.

I also note you have been around this part of San Diego, Ocean Beach is a little rough around the edges these days, was it all homeless and drugs when you were here? Plus the Brewpubs have to close at 22:00 by law, pubs later if they wish. No afternoon nap today, got some flights to attack and places to review.

<*))))))><

Cheers mate, Southern California is a great hunting ground for a beer geek and I am taking every opportunity I can to see and drink what’s out here.

<*))))))><

Yes … been to Ocean beach a couple of times and was definitely on the bohemian side of things and a little bit frayed around the edges.

That said I didn’t feel unsafe at all.

1 Like

No real safety issue, just not seen so many people down on their luck and smelling of weed before.

<*))))))><

Flagged this post for being extremely erotic. The artwork in the back isn’t bad either.

1 Like

<*))))))><

Today started with a long walk and finished fairly early with four brewpubs and a fantastic Noodle house seeing us drinking far to much.

Helm’s being our first stop after breakfast near Dog Beach.

<*))))))><

Next up was an eight beer flight here:

Interesting place and decent beers.

<*))))))><

1 Like

BBelching Beaver have a tasting room in Ocean Beach too.

Bugger me across the road is a Culture Brewery tasting room:

<*))))))><

Just enough time for couple here before the train back to our daughters.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Flying home today, 10 lb heavier and also over 5,000 pounds lighter!

Nearly seven weeks away, been a great holiday.

Mini rating backlog to sort out once settled back in Shropshire.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Great thread Jez. Much better than some of the puerile shit posted on here by others.

1 Like