A Californian Odyssey

Thanks Martin, I was worried it might come across at bit ‘Me, Me, Me’ and boastful, so I have kept it brief and mostly about the beer.

<*))))))><

I remember Culture in Ocean Beach.

Also … would you believe the Stone on Kettner had been open for over a year when I visited.

It was either Wingman_Willis or myself who added the place.

A solid bar like that not being on the site after a year just shows you what a great beer city SD is … probably allied to a lack of active RBians I must add!

1 Like

Was that tour around town in the old shitbox Pontiac?

No on foot and Uber.

<*))))))><

No … i think we visited Stone on Kettner the night before as we were there at closing time.

Pontiac tour day with the Wingmane wedged in your passenger seat was the day we flew home (that night).

Home and well.

269 beers rated so far (about 24 still to do, plus some I brought back with me), 25 new place reviews and American beers now numbering over 1100, California alone having 700 plus.

I could bore the arse off you with other stats, but I will save you the hassle, no one cares about other peoples stats really.

Highly recommend Southern California for a beer break.

<*))))))><

Dead jealous Jez. Glad you are back safe and sound. 300 beers for a trip is a tidy haul.

Missed the Winter Gathering by four days! They went to a load more places in San Diego then I did, the city is awash with good places.

<*))))))><

If you have the liver and the wallet for it you could have netted well over a hundred ticks a day with us.

I managed to get to Barcelona for the European Summer Gathering in 2016, we nearly reached that number on two of the days. Liver took a bigger pounding than the wallet.

<*))))))><

We were talking about the idea of proposing a Mexico City gathering later this year. If the prices are at all like Baja prices I’m sure you can get hundreds of ticks relatively cheaply…

1 Like

Great thread @BlackHaddock !

I look forward to going back to CA one day. Think I have been 3 times but it was all before 2018, so it has been a little while. With the 2 kids now (ages 4 years and 6 months), I doubt I’ll get back in the near term. Your photo blogs do bring back memories of my own brewery visits in CA!

3 Likes