Beavertown confirm sale of minority stake to Heineken

Beavertown Tempus Project have now pulled out !!!

3 Likes

Verdant out as well, making another top 5 UK brewery absent. https://verdantbrewing.co/blogs/news/beaverex-2018

1 Like

Buxton as well!

Has there been any comment whatsoever from Beavertown regarding the Extravaganza and the increasing roll call of withdrawals? I’ve seen nothing.

No. friday they said they were still waiting to hear back from all the brewers before they made a decision

Yep. Buxton’s statement on their withdrawal:
https://twitter.com/BuxtonGeoff/status/1013797395631656964
or

Yes, something in the morning advertiser a few hours ago

Mentions a public statement from Beavertown in the next few days. Some interesting comments, one of them is that the morning advertiser says they understand the actual amount of breweries that have pulled out is much higher.

And now Deya pull out

Deya reasons

It is with sadness and mixed emotions that we announce that we are pulling out of Beaver X. We fundamentally can not support an event that involves Heineken and supports Beavertown’s decision to partner with Heineken. — We are extremely torn as we feel we are letting down all the people who have purchased tickets (plus travel, hotel etc). It’s a horrible feeling, but if we had known that this was Beavertown’s plan we would not have agreed to do the festival. We can only apologise to every single person - we are truly sorry and really saddened by this situation - it has taken us a while to make a call on this as honestly we feel so bad about letting people down. — We believe the longevity and health of our industry rests on independent business’s. The lasting legacy of craft beer in the UK has to be strong independent breweries creating choices for consumers based on flavour. We do not feel Heineken (and therefore Beavertown) share these interests. — We hold Beavertown in very high regard - definitely one of the most influential breweries on our own personal journey. This makes it even sadder for us. #DEYA

More bull shit , we feel sorry for all you were screwing over but were still going to screw you over.

I really had though the UK breweries were going to be better than this.

Any that do commit to go will look bad and unethical, given the amount of pull outs now. They are making a real stand here.

I would say Beavertown is the one who screwed you over. Like i said before, this deal was not made in a day or probably not even in a month. When Beavertown started negotiating the deal, they could have said something to other brewers in very vague terms like “we are discussing minority sell to one of the big players” or something even more vague. Beavertown is the one who was not clear about their intentions and put other brewers in the position where they have to choose between pulling out and disappointing the fans or accepting the sellout to macro as ok thing.
I also said before that I don’t really care who owns what, but I care about honesty and transparency in business dealings, and that’s were Beavertown fails (like many macros!). I understand that selling out may make sense from the business perspective. Running a craft brewery and expanding it in a sensible manner is actually really hard and very risky. That doesn’t mean you can’t be as transparent as possible about your plans. By the way that was the thing that annoyed me about RB selling to ABInBev, not the fact itself, but again not being transparent about it.

3 Likes

I was really considering buying the extravaganza ticket, but now i’m happy i didn’t

Wow
 This may be the first time I’ve not been the slightest bit upset about missing a major festival. Most of my favourite breweries have pulled out now. Just Magic Rock and Wylam left for me.

This is why I was surprised to see Nothern Monk commit when they did. For me, they are up there with Cloudwater, Deya, Verdant etc. as my favourite UK breweries, all of which have pulled out, it surprised me that they’re ok with everything. As mentioned above, the only other remaining top breweries for me still there are Wylam and Magic Rock, but given the number of withdrawals I am almost expecting them to announce withdrawals too.

They surely have to start offering refunds to people soon given the sheer number of breweries no longer attending? At some point this might be considered by some as false advertising!?

Cam get UK beers anytime so not bothered about UK breweries dropping out. So will they get interesting foreign replacements? It’s if the foreign breweries that you don’t see that often all pull out that’ll be the issue for me.

Exactly. I’m only sad that cloudwater, verdant and deya have pulled out because they draw people away from the breweries I actually care about - if this does go ahead I can see there being more queuing.

I had intended getting tickets as we’d enjoyed it last year, however Loz had suggested we could have a weekend away in Frank for that kind of money with plenty to spend on beer and to be fair when in the likes of London, Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol etc the beer choice is so great these days it’s like a beer festival anyhow.

Perhaps Northern Monk are courting? Just putting it out there

Exactly what I thought 
 anyone not pulling out could be saying ‘we’d do the deal with the devil in the future given the chance’ !

Wouldn’t blame them mind.

1 Like

I still have my ticket. Even if 50 of the 90 breweries remain, thats still 100 different beers, and i would guess some would have the option of another tap. So thats still more than id be able to drink, even with minimal taster pours, providing they dont all run out early.

That said, id expect a discount from the ÂŁ65. Its not sold out & by the looks of it more breweries will pull out. If they do decide to issue refunds i can see the whole event being cancelled to minimise loss.