BotM Feb’24: 10%+

I checked this up and its only 10%.

We want you to express yourself, ok. Now, if you feel like the bare minimum is enough…

4 Likes

So I need to pull any 10% even beers from my queue? Or do I test them to find out how closely they tested? I suspect a lot of breweries do it gravimeterically rather than by using a gas chromatograph since they’d need to employ a chemist like the wineries here in California used to have to. I almost went to work for one before I got my first teaching job a few days later. Questioning :face_with_raised_eyebrow: is that 10% beer 10.001% (+) or 9.95% (-)? LOL :joy:

1 Like

Only 12% but very tasty! Evil Twin Cookies ‘N Cream ‘N Pumpkin Spice ‘N Cappuccino

4 Likes

if I look at the sig. figs. for the threat title, 9.6% can be 10% :grinning: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I agree, sorry Beastie

The higher the abv the higher likelihood the number is off, imo.

Just messing around. But it’s funny how the beer choices are going.

3 Likes

I have no idea how many 10%+ beers are in my collection. I’ll try not to strain the limits with 10% ones but there are a couple from my last Tavour box and I’ll probably get a few more 10%+ Firestones on it trip to the brewery store as we head to the coast for a few days.

I say go big or go home.

1 Like

And pulling up a few more biggies up to the queue I probably only have a hundred 10%+ers left to drink so drinking a beer usually every couple days I could easily finish the year on them.

2 Likes

And maybe I can round up my 19.5% port wine!
:wine_glass: :joy:

3 Likes

Hair of the Dog Adam Batch 55 bottled on 08-14-2002

7 Likes

How does a 21+ Adam taste?

1 Like

What kind of port is that?

1 Like

Cheap Porto Morgado Tawny from Trader Joe’s my everyday wine (tastes good and is only $6.99/750ml). I don’t want to drink 20 year old bottles that cost $50 if I want to buy Barrel Aged beers and not get in trouble with my wife.

2 Likes

8 Likes

dat glass tho

2 Likes

I’m a fan of vintage port but it is pricey and I rarely get to open a bottle unless I have people to share it with.

I’ve also dabbled a little with white port. It’s cheaper ~$20 and a nice chilled sipper for warm weather nights.

1 Like

Lervig Rackhouse - Vanilla Dreams 13.1%.ABV

It’s good but gets wearing ere the 375ml is up.

Contra various raging pissheads in this thread, I find that once you get near 10% - let alone 13% - beer gets hard to justify. I had the Aún Más A Jesús (Port Barrel Aged) @ ~12% the other day and that worked because it had the depth and needed the intensity of flavour that that strength brought. And of course there’s St Bernadus 12 that brings off the big flavours whilst remaining (dangerously) gluggable.

But a lot of beer around 10% is just lazy and has most of the character provided by very, very wet spirit barrels. And most beer around 13-15% doesn’t have the acidic structure of fortified wine (Port, Sherry, Muscat etc) and might as well be poured over ice-cream.

7 Likes

Last night’s finishing beer.

11 Likes

Maybe one day they will ship this to the states. I’ve always wanted to try it.

2 Likes