STYLES CHANGES (including NEIPA) WORLDWIDE! discussions

In the UK Scottish Ales quite often just get amended to Bitter. And EPA to Golden/Pale.

Sounds very wise

Sam Adams is releasing a NEIPA for broad distro fyi, so certainly seems to be catching on somewhat.

The use of subcategory styles was proposed at one time, but the idea was axed in favor of tags. Tags, however have evolved into a convoluted mess and are nearly unusable. Perhaps its time to revisit the concept of assigning beers a primary style category and possible secondary sub category(s). Hopefully one day we will stop being so concerned with silly site cosmetics and get around to the business of beer.

3 Likes

There has been no decision to axe the substyles in favour of tags.
But moving into substyles requires an enormous amount of work, while tags were already available.
Indeed, to complete the picture, we needed also to add functionalities around tags (for example the ability to search by tag, and to do a combined search style+tag or tag+tag); once again, resources have never been allocated for this either.
And here we are.

If you populate the tags today, the information can be used in the future, whenever we allocate resources to implement one solution.

Good to hear the sub-style idea isnā€™t dead, but wow, it has been years since we discussed it.

With a substyle system IPA can be the primary category and WC,NE, Black, White, Session, etcā€¦ can all be sub-categories.

3 Likes

Itā€™s probably been a few dozen posts since this has been said, but: maybe recruit the dedicated users that have been volunteering to admin to help out. That decisions get made because theyā€™re easy is a shame.

2 Likes

How about a sub-style IPA IPA? :thinking:

1 Like

Without anything weird, I like it. We could use this for RIS too: ā€œhereā€™s a heavy stout sir!ā€ - Thanks, is it barrel aged? ā€œNoā€. Does it have cocoa in it? ā€œNoā€. Peppers? Cucumber? A complete oak tree? An indigenous tribeā€™s sacred urine? ā€œNo itā€™s just a good strong stout sirā€. Oh wow Iā€™ve never tried anything like this before!

5 Likes

NEIPA seems to be going down as the biggest category update miss for the site yet. I would wager that we will see tons of beers labeled as NE or DDH IPA this year.

So a real questionā€¦would you call the style Double Dry Hopped or New England? Iā€™d go New England but donā€™t really like it.

More about developers than admins workload; thatā€™s the scarce resource

UT recognizes it as a style.

1 Like

So does BA

2 Likes

Neither. Itā€™s just an IPA thatā€™s hazy and fairly non-bitter. Done. Style = IPA, tag it with #hazy or #neipa

1 Like

Same could be said about an IIPA, just as an IPA, but with more alcohol and body. Or bipa, like an IPA thatā€™s black. I think the question is when a type of beer is distinctive enough to be a style of its own.

Itā€™s distinct enough, being barely classifiable as ā€œbeerā€ at all, from other beer styles that I donā€™t object to it as a new ā€œstyleā€. HOWEVER, get rid of 3 utterly freaking useless styles first.

And am I the only one who remembers what European Strong Lager tastes like? You know - the malty thing with bugger all hopping.

Why? Itā€™s a fermented malt-based beverage, aka ā€˜beerā€™.

1 Like

When it comes to imperial itā€™s a matter of ABV (in general). Not a style difference indeed, but the distinction is made for a number of other reasons Iā€™m sure. For instance the fact that Imperials almost in every style receive higher scores than non-imperial. Others can explain those reasons much better than I can Iā€™m sure.

The question you ask is correct, although Iā€™d phrase it slightly different. Question is when a beer that diverts slightly from the usual ā€˜outlinesā€™ / borders of a style, has moved away from that style AND other styles far enough to be considered a new style.

Imo, thatā€™s not the case. Neither was it the case when IPL was introduced.

Or kvass.

1 Like

But itā€™s not listed as a style on BA.