100 Best Beer Days Out in the UK

Went to Hammersmith a week ago to tick off Hammersmith Brewery. Their tap is an odd little place. It’s in the cellar of a Chinese restaurant and get the impression that the brewer and his Dad (who seems to be the permanent helper) lined the walls with wood themselves. Not recommend for people who don’t like enclosed spaces. Should be renamed the Tap in the Box.

Spent 4 days in Inverness for work. But didn’t step foot in a pub becaue I was yoing and naive.

Have been to Doncaster a few times but only to change trains and never left the station.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the Black Isle bar in Inverness. We visited a few times in late September, early October when catching the Caledonian Sleeper to from Inverness to visit friends on Isle of Harris. In fact we actually spent more time there than intended as we were stranded in Inverness and then a further night on Skye as sailings to Isle of Harris were cancelled due to rough weather.

1 Like

Was there in October 21 … cracking pizza

Have a night in Inverness booked late February 23 … will definitely swing by … also first visit to Edinburgh in maybe 9 or 10 years on same trip

1 Like

I haven’t been to Inverness in 15 years. Not much of a beer scene back then, not sure if that’s changed. I am not sure if the Black Isle bar was even around then

20 years for me since I went to Inverness. The Phoenix was still ok for cask ticks then, can’t remember where else but there wasn’t much

1 Like

The one now is their main taproom but they had an earlier bar not quite so impressive on my previous visit in 2013

1 Like

Theres the castle up the hill … always good cask plus another bar half way up … cant be arsed looking but the name is the number of the venue … that wasnt as good last time

Theres maybe 5 or 6 venues worth a look in now … way better than the Phoenix only days as youd imagine … my first pint there was 91/2 … old skool barman white shirt and dark apron … imagine it stayed that way for a while

Black Isle Bar is the only one on that list I’ve been to and had a Black Isle Scrumpy Cider there, which made my day!

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/black-isle-organic-scrumpy-natural-cider/446720/

2 Likes

We are now in lower League 1 territory in our wander around the British Isles. All of these should provide a very decent day out.

75th - Scarborough, North Yorkshire with 443 Points. HR = North Riding Brewpub.

74th - Chiswick, Greater London with 443 Points. HR = Fuller’s Brewery Tap.

73rd - Portsmouth, Southsea, Hampshire with 444 Points. HR = Hole in the Wall.

72nd - Buxton, Derbyshire with 444 Points. HR = Buxton Brewery Tap House.

71st - Stourbridge, West Midlands with 445 Points. HR = Duke William.

3 Likes

I have had the pleasure of visiting all of these, although Chiswick failed to really excite and Southsea was quite a while ago, I do remember that the Hole in the Wall was the best on offer at the time.
Of the others Buxton is a little tricky getting round, the opening hours post Covid make for lots of forward planning.
Scarborough is a very good day out and the North Riding Brewpub is excellent, although it is a bit of a treck to get to it.
I would thoroughly recommend Stourbridge, some really decent pubs there with a couple of ‘Craft’ places thrown in.

1 Like

Of all of these, Ive only been to Chiswick. Been meaning to get to Buxton for obvious reasons but just not managed it yet.

Stourbridge sounds like a good day out and not too far from me.

1 Like

Been to 2 possibly 3 of the latest offerings and numerous times to Buxton. I like the tap, and Buxton is a fabulous place with Redwillow bar a very short stagger away. Also worth checking out the opening hours and heading on a short train ride to Torrside brewery.

1 Like

Moving up League 1 territory a little we have the following days out -

70th - Gloucester, Gloucestershire with 445 Points. HR = Tank (Gloucester)

69th - Southbank, Greater London with 445 Points. HR = Hop Locker 3

68th - Warrington, Cheshire with 446 Points. HR = Tavern (4T’s)

67th - Loughborough, Leicestershire with 446 Points. HR = Needle & Pin

66th - Falmouth, Cornwall with 447 Points. HR = Front

1 Like

We have been to 4 of the 5 places today only missing out on Warrington, it’s never been on the radar before.
Never really found Gloucester that exciting any time we have been However there are a couple of crackers on todays menu. Loughborough is a very decent crawl indeed and Falmouth is a beautiful place to go with lots to see and do, the Front was excellent but closed for a while, hopefully it is still as good now.

1 Like

Salisbury has a newish micropubb that would easily be top rated choice; visited last month. Also first visit to rai d’Or; nice pub and food but only 2 cask beers on so not one I’d have pegged as “top”

Yeah we went to the Castle as well, really nice place and cask beers in super nick, which reminds me I really do need to add both of these place ratings.

1 Like

We are now up to mid table(ish) League 1. As follows -

65th - Kings Cross, Greater London with 447 Points. HR = Queen’s Head.

64th - Durham, Co. Durham with 448 Points. HR = Victoria Inn

63rd - Preston, Lancashire with 448 Points. HR = Plug & Taps.

62nd - Oxford St. Clements, Oxfordshire with 448 Points. HR = Big Scary Monsters.

61st - Coventry, West Midlands with 448 Points. HR = Hops d’Amour.

1 Like

Never really think of Kings Cross as a destination, I was in the Queen’s Head last Friday, just as good as ever, but we didn’t do any others close by, mistake maybe.

Both Preston and Durham are on the must do list.

Oxford St. Clements is the studenty, Cowley Road area of Oxford, just far enough out of town to make it an area of its own and it is very different to central Oxford. I still have to visit Big Scary Monsters, I shall put that right very soon. This is the area that the Oxford Brewdog is situated.

Just a few years ago you would never imagine that Coventry would ever be in the top 100, let alone 61st. Hops d’Amour is certainly a game changer and the Brewery Taps being close-ish to the centre certainly help. The Traditional pubs rarely offer up anything new though. I suppose I am still a bit surprised it is riding so high in the chart.

1 Like

Super surprised that you’ve never been to Big Scary Monsters Glen, I’ve been 2-3 times on my visits back to the UK and love the place, it’s small so it can make for great inter-table discussions. I’ve not really bothered with the vinyl aspect of the place though, it’s very nice to see but with Truck a 2 minute walk away and an old haunt and a much bigger selection it’s difficult not to revisit that old haunt.

1 Like

Coventry is worth a trip for Hops d’Amour alone. And of course a trip out to Beer Gonzo.

1 Like