Advice on selling vintage ales

I’m trying to sell a load of 1997 Fullers Vintage Ales and I’m not sure how to do this, do any of you fellow Beer Heads have any good advice/experiences selling vintage ales?

You will probably find plenty of people willing to trade in exchange for their rarities in the trade section of the forum.

For cash - you’ll have to hunt out special purpose auction sites. I’ve never used any, so I can’t recommend any.

General purpose auction sites typically don’t permit alcohol sales, but you can often put them up as vintage bottles, caps intact, and even add a disclaimer that the contents are not intended for consumption, to at least superficially cover everyone’s back. (And then ship them as “decorative glasswear” to cover the courier’s restrictions likewise.)

I’ve got to admit, 1997 is a year I’m missing…

That’s great advice Phil, thanks a lot! Incidentally I’ve just put them up on Gumtree, I’m not sure about the rules on posting links on RateBeer but they’re here if anyone is interested.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/fullers-vintage-ales-1997/1284853507

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/fullers-vintage-ales-2010/1284854768

Bro, just so you know, the prices on the Fullers website are a well known joke. About three years ago you could buy most of these in the Fuller’s shop for £8-10. Suddenly they stopped selling them and put them on their website for these prices. They are marginally above average beers so I think it’s highly highly unlikely anyone on the planet will pay £450. You might sell a couple for £45 but I wouldn’t pay more than £20-£25 for them.

Ah well, worth a go anyway. Let’s see how it goes

These are very old tasting and not worth for me with just 10 years on them. Is there a demand for these with 20 years?

I can see if they were Thomas Hardy Ales but the vintage ales I had with more than 10 years on them didn’t stand up to the test of time.

My beer cellar dot com is where I usually check out no longer on the shelf beers. Lots to most are over priced but I have found some jewels in the rough.

Most people who have sampled a good number of Fullers Vintage agree that around the 5 year mark will showcase them at their best in terms of flavour.

At year one and two they tend to be too young.

Six and Seven year old vintage can be excellent but ‘may’ also carry some oxidisation.

I had a case of 1999 Vintage and had the last ones around 2012 / 2013.

One was excellent, one average at best, the other shot through.

Once you go past 7 or 8 years it’s a case of beer roulette.

Those 1997 vintages are likely oxidised mush.

yeah, we were so lucky to have a perfect bottle of Vintage 1999 just last month; I wouldn’t expect all bottles to hold up like this.