Any interest in an opening/closing places thread?

London Beer House can be added to the list.

And Mother Kelly’s E9

A couple of Cornish ones closed: 'Front in Falmouth and Mr Small’s Cornish Tap House in St Austell.

Bugger. The Overdraught in Nottingham closed.

More new places opening.

The Rake have now got a bar/restaurant in Borough Market: Matchbox SE1. Details are scarce but it appears that they will have different pop up kitchens. Currently some really nice looking German food and a range of beers including Anpsach & Hobday’s German style beers. The food looks really good, I’d really like to nip up there.

Big Smoke’s/their investor’s quest for expansion continues and they now have a pub in Hammersnith: The Prince of Wales Townhouse. Formerly called Rook’s Nest when run by Laine’s.

1 Like

On a sad note, Greater London’s #3 rated place has apparently closed for good. Craft Beer Co - Islington is the one in that chain that has yet to re-open and staff have apparently confirmed that it’s shut for good.

Oh wow… that’s so sad.

Wow. That’s a shock.

Yea I saw this on Twitter. Far my favourite of the Craft Beer Co empire when it first popped up, but I grew to like it more on subsequent visits, though still thought that it lagged well behind some of the others. A shame to lose such a place though.

1 Like

BrewDog have announced further new bars.

I am going to be in trouble when the wife gets home and the boy asks, “What does ‘fucking Basingstoke’ mean?”

We were just discussing Basingstoke, we got stranded there waiting for a train last year and bemoaned the lack of decent pubs. I know that not everybody likes BrewDog, but I think this is pretty exciting.

Aa a Farnboriugh FC fan I would normally look down on Basingrad so not sure what to make of the news.

But they should do well because there’s fuck all else there.

Woking is the next place that needs something, especially as the town centre is being redeveloped.

1 Like

Update on this - Three Hills will continue to brew in Northamptonshire. The Bermondsey offshoot will be a tap for Three Hills but also brew beer as ‘The Outpost’. Apparently beers have already been seen.

2 Likes

That’s good I was worried I’d loose the vast majority of my Northamptonshire rates.

1 Like

Interesting new bar opening near Mikkeller Brew Pub in Clerkenwell. Pivo UK will apparently stock Czech beers that are less common in the UK. Polotomavy ticks?

Another new brewery is now opening in Reading, Crafty Cat. I spotted that their beer would be available in a Berkshire Beer Box being released this month (annoyingly delivery is only available within Berks). Whilst they seem to have no social media presence there is a listing for them on Companies House.

There also 8 London breweries either not on here yet or which are planning to open in London. Most of the latter were planning to have opened already but were pushed back by Covid-19:

Blondies, Hackney. Although it’s a rock bar and looks like it’s contracting rather than becoming a brewpub with its own equipment? The beers may already be on sale at the bar.

Distortion, Battersea. The brewery was 90% complete back in August and they have been tweeting their new beers so looks like they’re pretty much ready to go.

German Kraft (Mayfair). Was supposed to open early this year

Jawbone, Twickenham. Brewery is being kitted out.

Never for Ever, Kentish Town. Listed as a brewpub by CAMRA but they appear to just sell the one house lager so suspect it’s just a rebadge.

Nostromo, Chingford – two home brewers who currently brew in a garage and seems that their beers are available in small quantities but can’t tell if they sell them commercially – I asked but have not had a response as of yet. However they are planning to open a brewpub.

Plum Tree, Plumstead, Micropub planning to start brewing this year

Three Hounds Beer Co @ Three Hounds Bottle Shop, Beckenham. Currently have some beers brewed for them offsite but they are now installing a brewery at the shop.

And the reason Craft Beer Co - Islington shut was because the landlord did not renew their lease. It’s being converted into flats.

6 Likes

German Kraft is one of the Collabfest 2020 breweries. They collaborated with BrewDog Tower Hill.

1 Like

That’ll be their Elephant & Castle brewpub. The Mayfair one is their second bar but no brewing yet as far as I know.

1 Like

I got that one. A hefeweizen, tried it last night. Wasn’t impressed.

Plus: Dogs Grandad Brewery, Brixton. First beer should be available in December.

Maverick Brewery and Taproom’s opening in Farnham had been pushed back to next year.

1 Like

Received information today that Derventio Brewery of Darley Abbey, Derbyshire had closed for good. Now updated on here. Ran from 2006 until its demise due to lack of trade in Covid closures. We show 64 beers in total for them of which I had tried 16.

1 Like

I have had five of those Derventio beers, last rate was April 2015 though; not seen any about since then to be honest, or I would have tried them.

<*))))))><