Any interest in an opening/closing places thread?

That’s a shame. Must be very recent as I added a new beers of theirs only a couple of weeks ago. My records show that I’vev drunk 14 of their beers and rated 5. However, I was never very impressed with their beers (highest rated was 3). And As BlackHaddock says they were never very easy to find. AFAIK they didn’t have a brewery tap, or anywhere else in Derby that byou could reliably expect to see their beers available.

1 Like

No, I don’t think they had their own tap or anything like it, I picked up most of my ratings in Free-houses by the looks. Not a brewery I would have searched out, I averaged at less than 3 across those 16 beers.
I expect we are going to get quite a few closures coming up, just will have to stay on top of them.

1 Like

One Derventio tick, at the Wellington in Brum prior to last year’s Cotts Convention.

I guess Lockdown 2 and continued restrictions may result in more closures but so far there have been far fewer closures than I was expecting. I asked Andy at Elusive about it and he said one he’d got to grips with the situation the beginning of the year OK and he was busier than ever in August but was concerned that a further lockdown would impact the pubs and bars that were buying his kegs and casks.

Just seen this brewery has been marked as closed. They have a new website launched are are still posting (today and yesterday) on their Facebook, twitter etc. Are we sure it’s closed?

I’m pretty sure they aren’t closed, at least I hope not. They’re a bit inconsistent but generally very good.

Yes, I also expected more bad news. So far it’s not too far up from what it would be the normal run of events. I imagine the upcoming period will be testing for a lot of pubs especially though.

Sad about Derventio, although I saw them around rarely despite them being semi-local-ish. My third and last tick from them was only about 3 weeks ago.

I had the information from the local Camra group, I will take another look at it. Could it be that they have closed the brewery but are now cuckooing somewhere else perhaps?

They are certainly still brewing and at the same place, thank you for the heads up. The confusion lies in that they have shut their pub, The Overdraught, probably for good. I have resurrected the brewery and shut the pub now. :+1:

2 Likes

Shame about Overdraught. Great pub. Great to hear that the brewery is still around, and they still have the excellent - if much smaller - Totally Tapped in Beeston.

Lion are launching New Belgium’s Voodoo Ranger brand as Voodoo Ranger UK. Take a look at the absolute bullshit in this press release/article:

The Hazy IPA will be a UK only beer brewed at Fourpure. So worth adding Voodoo Ranger UK (Lion) as a new client brewery?

Edit: just noticed that the cans will say New Belgium on them and the Voodoo Ranger UK website includes a link to the New Belgium website so would just add it as NB beer.

I’ve had the American original Voodoo Ranger IPA, and one of their many variants; 18 beers from New Belgium in total. Like their beers.

<*))))))><

1 Like

No sign of slowing yet…

Windsor and Eton Brewery have opened what may be their first pub? The Rose and Olive Branch in Virginia Water.

Cloak + Dagger have also opened a tap in Brighton.

Added a couple more craft bars in London (Twickenham and the 1,000,000th micro pub on the London/Kent borders).

Added a brewpub in Hove, Larrikin at The Urchin. Seems to have been going since 2018. They are now canning and doing mailorder.

Also two other breweries and a kombucha producer that also has a cider, all in East Sussex.

Edit: have also now added a new brewery in Devon, Gilt & Flint.

1 Like

I had one at Beaverfest which I scored 4.5, but more recently bought two of their core beers and thought they were both pretty average which may be macro watering down.

George Inn (Windsor & Eton) • RateBeer

Opened when I lived in Windsor - Summer '15.

I stood outside that pub when I was stewarding a charity walk and failed to spot that it was a W&E pub.

1 Like

Not closures but Antic Pub Co’s financial partners gave them 36 hours notice that the pubs which Antic managed rather than owned were being transferred to Portobello Brewing:

This is sad news :frowning: Pratts & Payne Streatham is my parents local, so go quite a few times a year when back over, and The Effra Social in Brixton we only visited for the first time (and rated) last year and was a great venue as well. No idea/experience what these places will be like under Portobello.

1 Like

I am the only person to have reviewed Knowles of Norwood, got four new rates in there too. My son was living in that area of London at the time (Early 2017).

<*))))))><

Pleased to report an opening … although doubt the place will ever return to it’s 2015 era ticking prowess when I first discovered it.

The Bootlegger @wheresthepath, opposite High Wycombe station for those unfamiliar.

Re-opens this Thursday as the Flint Cottage, after just over a years absence, which was it’s previous name.

No clues about beer range other than the obligatory cask dispense pictures on the website.

Owned by Charlie Wells and does give mention to their ‘Brewpoint’ pseudo - craft type range.

Don’t seem to be any of these on RB yet but a few on UT as you’d expect.

At least be a few new ticks if nowt else.

They are also doing food … obviously important right now but one of the beauties of the Bootlegger was that they didn’t and you could bring your own in be it a picnic or a chinese.

or a scotch egg ? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: