Beer52

Dang I was going to stop my club while out of town, but that looks good. Need some Korea ticks since I left before the boom.

1 Like

They are almost all brewed in Belgium, but using ‘Korean’ brewery names; no idea where the ‘Admins’ will actually slot them in brewery or national ticking place.

<*))))))><

I joined for the free Korean box. I intended to cancel after getting the box, but when it arrived today I so like what I got, with a handy magazine giving details on all the breweries and beers in the box, that I’m going to hang on to see what happens. They even got together a Korean collaboration beer which is unique to them, and which includes ingredients from North Korea. Awesome!

2 Likes

Oh shit. You’re right. De Proef is the brewer. And it looks like they are unique beers (not beers that the brewers normally make), so this is just some branding exercise. I feel right cheated.

I’m not drinking Korean beers, I’m drinking De Proef beers misleadingly badged as Korean. Fuck that shit!

As there is no evidence of actual involvement by the Korean brewers in the recipe or brewing (they are not even versions of beers currently listed at the brewers), I’ll list these as collaborations between Beer52 and each Korean brewer, brewed at De Prouf, with Beer52 as the lead brewer. I suspect the Korean brewers are getting little to nothing out of this other than free publicity.

1 Like

I haven’t tried one yet, so can’t comment on the quality, but they will all be new rates and hopefully OK, no matter what country they actually come from.

<*))))))><

I found the magazine annoying. Seemed like they were just using the money from the subscriptions to jet about and then justify that by producing a pretty shallow magazine.

I can’t subscribe living outside of UK, but I follow the magazine online. Tbh I appreciated a lot the issue about Balkans and the one about Bristol. It’s always a nice reading on the way to work.

If I’d have the chance to subscribe I would.

1 Like

I’m actually cool with the magazine, and I was very keen on the set up. But to find out that the Korean beers are not Korean, and are made by De Prouf is very disappointing to say the least.

2 Likes

I agreed that the non-Korean marketed as Korean beers is upsetting. They will all be new ticks for me. I’ve suspended my March subscription as I’m now out of country for a while. Kind of annoyed that I can’t suspend it for more than a month without contacting them, but I do plan on keeping my overall subscription going.

1 Like

All the 52 beers marketed as other countries or breweries was the reason I left beer 52.

Do you have any opinions on Mikkeller and To 0l?
:trollface:

2 Likes

Happy with my February selection.

<*))))))><

2 Likes

What’s the theme?

6 Nations, but not really.

<*))))))><

A buddy brought back a couple of White Hag beers from his trip to Ireland a while back and I was quite impressed.

2 Likes

I grabbed some in Dublin, was pretty impressed. I put Feb on hold and will have to take March I guess. Can only suspend for a month.

OK, I was tempted to buy again by their latest FaceBook offer of 18 beers for £24 (including delivery and snack and magazine). The beers have arrived and all appear to be genuine beers. They are focused on lagerish, (mildly) hoppy craft beers (not my style - I am a malt and yeast man), but that’s a good offer. Some lagerish beers to knock back while watching Wales win the Grand Slam!

1 Like

What’s cool is that it’s a one-off offer, so I don’t even need to cancel my subscription!

3 Likes

What did we get in March? My ten beers are waiting for me at my brother-in-laws awaiting my collection once I get home from my travels.

<*))))))><

White Hag are great in my experience too. Seem to get quite good distro over here too, Hereford Beer House had a six-line takeover of their beers for St Patricks as well!