BotM Nov’23: Belgian Abbey/Trappist

If you haven’t had a Westmalle or St. Bernardus, go pick up something similar and enjoy. Don’t forget to post here!

1 Like

Picking up some Rochefort 10 tomorrow

2 Likes

Should revisit Westmalle and the like anyway!

2 Likes

Please note that Achel has lost their Trappist designation so please don’t sully this thread with their brews.

4 Likes

I realized it’s Abbey and Trappist so this one counts to get party started.

9 Likes

I may be in the minority here, but St. Bernardus Abt 12 is my favorite. I prefer it to Rochefort. I’m also one of the few who has never gotten my hands on Westy. So can’t compare to the rare.

4 Likes

Not Belgian, but Dutch (6 miles from Belgian border) Trappist Zundert 4% refectory beer, New 2023 beer, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Trappist brewery De Kievit, Limited availabilty, got this one from the monastry shop. The brewery uses gale in all of their beers, making this one an easy drinkable but at the same time tasteful herbal Trappist.

12 Likes

Not sure I’ll find a new tick for this month, so this and an Orval might be it. Still a lovely beer even though I’ve thrown the glass in the dishwasher too many times.

4 Likes

About 50% Westmalle Tripel and 50% Westmalle Dubbel: Westmalle Trip Trap or Half-Half. Wanted to try this for a long time, couldn’t withstand anymore. Not rateable but a pleasure to down anyway. They should release this as an official blend!

My Westmalle goblet is unfortunately at my parents’ place, so had to go for the Duvel cup instead.

6 Likes

Nine months old, much less complex than other batches I tried, not even that fruity. Way too effervescent as well. Meh.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had a fresh one of these a few days ago. Definitely an easy drinker, but doesn’t develop the complexity.

1 Like

Had the Rocherfort 6 and Westmalle Dubbel last night. The Rochefort was a bit too sweet and syrupy for me. The Westmalle was on point.

1 Like

2 Likes

Any of you guys tried the new Rochefort tripel? Pretty nice. And a new rochefort beer!!!

1 Like

I didn’t expect the spices but like it and thought it interesting. Not sure it’s going to tear me away from 8 and 10 from then, though.

A 6/21 Orval:
Quite funky. Old lemon, nectarines. Very dry at the end and still fairly bitter. Never quite the same but always itself. Definitely the best beer I’ve had a hundred times and still my highest rated.

4 Likes

2 Likes

For the first time I’ve actually managed to have a beer that fits into one of these monthly threads (albeit Belgian Abbey-style, rather than actually Belgian) within the time limit!

Ninkasi Triple - pretty good, gave it a 3.8. Forgot to take a photo unfortunately but here’s the link:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/ninkasi-triple/108708/74729/

Twas my fourth highest-rated Tripel out of the meagre 9 I’ve tried, and a new region for me. My highest rated Trappist/Abbey brew was Orval at 4.4.

3 Likes

Yep, that was a good one - my highest rated of the Rocheforts.

3 Likes

Had this beer the other day on tap. I took a photo but forums don’t work on my phone, and nothing else works on my computer. Anyway, beer was good. Also another tick from a relatively rare belgian region.
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/val-dieu-biere-de-noel/12172/128160/