Cold IPA - a candidate for the most redundant fad IPA substyle of the year?

“A lot of people think [a Cold IPA] is an IPL, but it’s not,” says Hughes. “In my mind, an IPL is like making an IPA into a lager and that’s not what this is… To me it’s taking a West Coast IPA and making it more West Coast by showcasing the hops and having a really crispy grain bill.”

Still an IPL.

Oorrrr ICC.

1 Like

Definitely a style. Not going anywhere. We missed another one. Shocker.

Ye, deffo a style, not going anywhere, but man, please, there is no doubt that it will get added as soon as anyone able to do it shows up. Can always see with Joe if he can get to that.

Now, the only issue is if it’s gonna be added under IPA - Cold IPA, IPL - Cold IPA, or California Common / Steam Beer - Cold IPA. XD

Any other styles you think that we’ve missed btw?

1 Like

My other two I see a lot are Italian Pilsener and Rice Lager

2 Likes

And Mexican Lager

Sadly - white stouts/porters are still common.

I actually don’t see these that much happily. But I know they are out there which still keeps me up at night

1 Like

There are some existing styles that could potentially be further split out:

Low ABV - Sour

Low ABV - Lager (I.e. not just lumped in with Pale)

Are there many Perry - Flavored?

1 Like

Idk, to me cold ipa still looks like a fad, a’la brut ipa.

1 Like

I’m still seeing plenty of Cold IPAs here in the UK. People (including non-beery folk) seem to like hoppy lagers so I can see this one staying around for a lot longer than Brut IPA did. Seems to be much more marketable/profitable for breweries.

1 Like

IPL

IPLs and Cold IPAs are totally different things. Trust me, I’m an elite marketing team. Or whatever.

3 Likes

Good shout. Also think it’s also about time we allowed (and added a style for):

Low ABV - Cider / Perry

1 Like

White Stout probably should be added, as it is a style at this point and has been for years.
Grape Ales or whatever you want to call them seems reasonable.
Italian Pils…obviously an odd style to define but so is APA, NZ Pale…

Does ratebeer not acknowledge fads in the beer world? Hazy IPAs were/are a fad too.

For the people who can’t seem to wrap their heads around Cold IPA as a style vs. IPL, let me help. Cold IPA is brewed with rice or corn, is drier, cleaner, better attenuated. Quite a different flavor profile.

And what among the things you’ve written makes it an IPA and not an IPL? Nobody’s claiming it’s the same thing, and that it doesn’t have a different flavor profile from most… The guy who posted the meme Shig shared on FB is actually insisting that it’s an ale. :slight_smile:

Funnily enough, I had “Cold IPAs” with full bodies, and I “Cold IPAs” without adjuncts… It’s funny really how loosely the term is sometimes used “because brewer’s intent”.

PS. I’m all for adding it.

I think the corn or rice additions are the major differentiating quality. I have certainly had many Cold IPAs that didn’t fit into the box that well, but the same could be said about any style.

We could join them into one style:‘Fad/Brut/Cold IPA’

1 Like