Is Untappd Dying

Why is it bad?

Because most things beside basic functionality have problems. Even something as simple as beer menus of verified places - it is easier to use untappdā€™s web page than app (less scrolling, less clicks, easier to get overview, more intuitive). Or for example PM functionality (the GUI is bad, again non intuitive - many people donā€™t even know that they can PM, and the worst of all: sometimes it takes 5 minutes to receive a message, sometimes it takes hours, so it is not reliable).

1 Like

Thereā€™s a major new app version in beta, due for release very soon as I understand it. I donā€™t know if itā€™ll solve the problems you see, but just FYIā€¦

1 Like

ABI had a use for RB, as I understand it, which was to access & mine the historical reviews and rates to better understand what beer geeks like, value and want. But I suspect with that done, then its usefullness to them has expired.

1 Like

First, Next Glass gobbled up Untapped, and youā€™ll note that five of its 13 Top Rated beers are Goose Island. ABI must have troll farms posting thousands of fake reviews from the Amazon. Next, Next Glass gobbled up Beer Advocate, so you can expect the same will happen to their Top 250 Beers soon. ABI owns the words Iā€™m typing. Beer Menus seems on the way out. Soon, all these sites will be wall-to-wall promos of Blue Moon and Shock Top.

Bollocks.

If you look at the beers in production on UT youā€™ll notice only one of 50 is from GI. Those retired beers have been up there forever and I really donā€™t see how would pumping up rates for retired BCBS help GI.

3 Likes

Brita to Taylor family: ā€œKeep my brand name in front of at least a third of your 15 Top Beers, and I donā€™t care if they are retired. Youā€™ll get Beer Advocate to do the same.ā€

Itā€™s annoying that the retired beers are in the top at the first place (there should be a separate top that includes them). Also the vintages (that are the same beer) shouldnā€™t be listed multiple times in the top, especially considering how liberal (read: no proper system at all) untappd is with vintages.

There is an option to show only beers in production. I agree it should be a default setting.

Youā€™re both missing the point. Who was the supposed ā€œvote counterā€ who put more of GI brand at the top than any other beer? So, far, you see no GI at all till #25 on the BA list, which also has historical beers. Beer and wine lists always have retired listings, so you can remember how good the harvest was for that vintage in a particular year. We cellar our own best way after theyā€™ve been sold out.

If BA list is showing retired beers why are BCBS not there? From what Iā€™m seeing there should be bunch of them in top 100?

I donā€™t see ABI beers being favored on any of the platforms mentioned.

Beers are not wine. With certain beers you can make the argument - with others itā€™s nonsense. Beers donā€™t have ā€œharvestā€*. A competent brewer should be able to brew the same recipe again (with minor variations that are not under his/her control). Hence, different vintages should taste the same when they have the same age.

From my personal experience: just the other day I was in the beer shop and untappd menu listed ā€œvintageā€ i have not tried. While looking at the bottleā€™s BB I was fairly certain that the listing is wrong, but there was no vintage on the label, hence there was no way to be 100% certainā€¦

*There are some exceptions, for example some 3F lambics specifically say ā€œOogstā€ or harverst on the label, but thatā€™s another complicated topic.

GI is OWNED AND OPERATED by ABI. It was one of the first sellouts/fake crafts. They have five of UTā€™s Top Beers. Britaā€™s got those troll farms in the Amazon jungles pumping out thousands of fake UT ratings. Trolls there quaff chicha, not Treehouse.

Thanks for the info, but Iā€™m quite familiar with breweries ownership changes. Frankly you sound a bit delusional.

I never insult posters on boards, but I would say, you sound a bit of a GI fan.

1 Like

Hazies might be another type of exception, in the sense that even the same beer seems to taste vastly different in different batches, I guess based on hop source or harvest as well. Hazies are so volatile that it would be hard to separate even by year though, especially for the ones that are consistently produced throughout the year but vastly differ. Then thereā€™s the whole thing of how fresh you drink it, so ya.

Hazies differ from different parts of the keg sometimes pretty dramatically.

1 Like

Where I come from there is no GI, so I can hardly be a fan. However I do think a BCBS is a good series. And seems there are some like-minded raters here as well since there are bunch of BCBS in top by style categories. Makes me wonder how is it possible those beers are highly rated on all three platforms. Has to be evil farmers.

Oh, and that wasnā€™t an insult. Was trying to be polite.

2 Likes

ABIā€™s GI has a #2 in Imperial Stout and a #3 in Belgian Strong in BA. Thatā€™s about it. #25 on BA in no way signifies ā€œthose beers are highly rated.ā€ What is your unnamed third platform, so I can further check your assertion.

5x BCBS in top imperial stouts and 6x in top pastry imperial stouts

https://www.ratebeer.com/top-beers?style=Stout+-+Imperial
https://www.ratebeer.com/top-beers?style=Stout+-+Imperial+Flavored+%2F+Pastry

16 of Goose Island beers would qualify for Top 250 at BA (rated 4.5+ and 300+ rates)

1 Like