STATES / REGION for all countries

@Nisse666 , they haven’t finished adding all the breweries to their regions yet, so your totals may well go up a little.

My total for Belgium is over 100 rates more than my ‘Belgian Provinces’ show currently, so what you are seeing now is not the finished article.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

No I know, and trust me I’m thrilled. Also flipping Belgian places over now. Just putting in the work to see how some of these countries may split as there seems like some decisions to be made, especially with Netherlands and Spain

1 Like

In my own list I used the following:

This has the benefit of having boundaries on google maps.

1 Like

For Netherlands I went with the Google boundaries again which are based at NUTS level 2 from the attached:

This breaks Netherlands down into about 12 regions.

Also probably a debate to be had for France.

18 administrative regions

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 14.37.15

or 100+ departments

2 Likes

Would it make sense to allow things like French Guiana or Reunion count as both countries and regions? Or should they be excluded from the country list (drawing the ire of many) or excluded from regions like Puerto Rico and Guam?

1 Like

I would say 18 Adminstrative regions.
Do not make it insaint. 18 is small enough, 100+ would be to much and too small regions.

2 Likes

There are some overseas territories for NL, but I think we should treat those as countries, as is already the case with Bonaire.

2 Likes

I agree. At least most people have heard of places like Normandy etc. 18 seems like better choice. Further division in far future if and when we get a bunch of stuff done into basic regions.

I’d say that’s a question to kick down the road as low priority for now compared to splitting other major beer countries. But a decent question there.

Agreed here. France is the biggest clutter we have here, and what is clearly the most pressing to split.
Italy and Spain should be next in line if we go by that.

2 Likes

Yes. Otherwise England will have to be divided into Parish and Village Councils.

1 Like

Years ago I worked on a geography/flag related app/quiz/game thing which had many countries split into regions much like is being done on RB now. Typically the NUTS-2 lists were used where applicable, but where this resulted in too few, or too many, common sense led to some using standard administrative regions, states, or otherwise well defined and (mostly) undisputed regional boundaries.

If I remember correctly, I had country splits done for around 30 countries. At least half of which were in Europe. If anyone would like it, I can export my data and share a big list of it here broken down by country, to serve as a basis for discussion for anyone knowledgeable about those countries?

2 Likes

What do we do with Ceuta and Melilla in Spain though? Not that they brew beer, being basically morocco. But do we make them regions?

Denmark seems to have general agreement, and netherlands as well. Spain the only real question is those moroccan territories. I’m cool with anything first. Easiest for @services to do is probably choose the next easy one and go from there.

Is the precedent not there already - I.e. Gibralter?

There is a brewpub/brewery in Ceuta.

http://ceutastar.com/Inicio.html

1 Like

Another good starting point might be iso-3166-2, which should cover all countries.

We’re getting dangerously close to talking about concordances between Statistical Divisions and Statistical Local Areas. Then nobody will believe we’re cool.

3 Likes

According to the ICSM (Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping), there are five different types of maps : General Reference, Topographical, Thematic, Navigation Charts and Cadastral Maps and Plans.

Just saying!

<*))))))><

And treasure maps, surely?

7 Likes

Now we are talking pirates of the caribeen and a bottle of rom.
This is all about beer. Lets keep those mapping for other kind of rating.