STYLES CHANGES (including NEIPA) WORLDWIDE! discussions

Was this supposed to go out to us peasants? I just got it pinned at the top of the forum page.

1 Like

Even if it wasnā€™t it certainly should be. Iā€™ve added a couple of comments myself and have seen a few others by non-admins.

2 Likes

Kvass is life.

2 Likes

KiL

Iā€™ve been watching the NEIPA topic go on for months, itā€™s a style Iā€™m prettt much over already. I really think there are two worlds acting here. 75% of the beers Iā€™ve seen arenā€™t NEIPA (at least in AK by the true definition of NEIPA), they are Hazy IPAs or DIPAs that are juice bombs banking on the NEIPA craze. See all of the Anchorage Brewing Co beers 7.5% and above released this last year.

From an admin standpoint where do they all go because everyone is going to criticize either way?

As always we all can have opinions and this is mineā€¦Shawn

Whatā€™s the difference between NEIPA and Hazy IPA? By a lot of brewers, these terms are used interchangeably.

Exactly so anything from session to DIPA that is hazy is a NEIPA or vise versus? What about beers that were hazy prior to the NEIPA craze? IPA/DIPA categories are huge this seems like a admin overload as team is already way behind on verifying Beer let alone recategorizing.

You are right that splitting these will be a huge time investment for adminsā€¦but again, you said it, IPA is a huge categoryā€¦having 2 very popular styles (traditional bitter-forward IPAs vs Juicy/Hazy aroma-forward IPAs) mixed together doesnā€™t helpā€¦

For the rest, we canā€™t go against the industry. If a brewer labels a beer as a NEIPA even if itā€™s notā€¦we must enter it as a NEIPAā€¦but users can then rate it an criticize than itā€™s not really a NEIPA.

And rightly so. Honestly I know itā€™s not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things but Iā€™ve always hated when admins change the style of a beer to what they think it is, rather than what the brewer says it is. Brewers who release poorly made or poorly interpreted styles deserve to have their beer rated down.

3 Likes

I cannot believe that RB doesnā€™t recognize Heady Topper as a NEIPA. Its like saying that Saison Dupont is not a Saison.

1 Like

Beer Advocate just revamped/added beer styles. Must be the thing to do these days.

Because The Alchemist markets it as an American Double IPA?

The term didnā€™t exist when they released it, it is the mother of New England IPAā€™s.

1 Like

Double/Imperial IPA on BA and Untappd.

Still, they could have changed it at any given time on their label and on their website but they didnā€™t so we canā€™t class it as something they didnā€™t notā€¦

Seriously? To be honest I really donā€™t care how it is classified, but this reasoning is ratherā€¦ weird.

Read this.

https://vinepair.com/articles/heady-topper-beer-history/

1 Like

ā€œItā€™s taken on a life of its own at this point. I think a lot of whatā€™s being called New England IPAs are really different from ours ā€”theyā€™re soft and chalky and just shooting for something entirely different. But thatā€™s kind of the nature of the beast when it comes to craft brewers. They quite often think more is better, and thereā€™s a huge market for that. Me, I tend to prefer my IPAs to have a very crisp, distinct bitterness and I feel like nowadays theyā€™re trying to de-emphasize that bitterness, which in my opinion kind of throws off the balance.ā€

Here you go, we must Add the NEWCIPA. New England West Coast IPAā€¦

The only change to Belgian ales should be to separate Belgian strong into Pale and Dark. Do not change the Abbey description. This is too impoetant to the historyof the style

1 Like

Why would the same separation not be applied to standard Belgian Ale?