Anyone know what's up with Stone?

Selling out?

If theyā€™re selling out, I feel like he probably canā€™t claim he didnā€™t ask for it.

Some bullshit trademark lawsuit? Itā€™s the land of sue opportunity after all.

I guess one of their beer-names probably offended someone because of gender stuff or racism and after the weekend they will be ā€˜outedā€™.

What on earth is a gender-appropriate snack?

How is popcorn gender inappropriate?

It seems you missed the Lady Doritos flap. Partial credit.

With Stone, who knows? Perhaps theyā€™ve discovered thereā€™s no such brewery as Arrogant Brewing.

Possibly a lawsuit with Great Divide?

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/great-divide-arrogant-bastard/362658/

Time is likely running out for Stone to challenge this or the term Arrogant Bastard ends up in the public domain due to non-enforcement.

Wasnā€™t there a whole series of those with other breweries making Arrogant Bastard clones?

There was a whole series of collabs, not sure if this was one of them or not.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a direct link to Gregā€™s Youtube post:

1 Like

When I saw him holding the can I thought: whatever.

Then I saw the marketing picture from MillerCoors (shown a bit later in the video) and I guess he has a point.

Trademarks and copyright in the US is hard to follow for me though (sometimes it seems like everyone is filing lawsuits all the time over there), so Iā€™ve got no idea how this will play out.

Also the video is so dramatic (with the multiple angles and stuff) Iā€™m not 100% sure itā€™s not satire.

2 Likes

Old Can:

New Can:

Actually had this experience a few months ago. Straight up saw Stone only, checked brewery city and though Stone sold out and was contract brewing with Miller. A store employee had to correct me to look for the small ā€œKeyā€ printed on it. Open and shut case in my book. Which means it will be in the court system for years.

2 Likes

The video is VERY dramatic, and not a very smart thing to do if you are actually suing someone. Also not a good thing to be joking around about either.

4 Likes

Yeah, the video was weird, but Stone has a history of weird cringey stuff like that.

4 Likes

Pretty glad I did; thereā€™s more important news to follow than a junk food company making a tone-deaf decision.

I think I disagree. The video was pure 1st-amendment-supported ā€œwe can put our opinions on this matter out thereā€. This is a civil case, in a matter which will be decided by opinion, not by evidential proof, opinions can be viral, I guess heā€™s hoping his opinion takes off. Yes, it mixed levity with a serious message, but I think it was appropriate for their intended audience. The ā€œwill-he-wonā€™t-heā€ was a nice piece of suspence too. I canā€™t say I particularly like Stone beers, or Stone branding, but I can certainly say that that video made me respect GK despite any negative inferences I have drawn about his approach to beer.

The messed up thing about this is not his opinion piece, but in his (by proxy) official statement - the actual filing:
""" [ā€¦]
INTRODUCTION

1. Plaintiff Stone Brewing brings this trademark action to halt Defendant MillerCoorsā€™s misguided campaign to steal the consumer loyalty and awesome reputation of Stoneā€™s craft brews and iconic STONEĀ® trademark. MillerCoors recently decided to rebrand its Colorado Rockies-themed ā€œKeystoneā€ beer as ā€œSTONEā€ ā€“ simultaneously abandoning Keystoneā€™s own heritage and falsely associating itself with Stoneā€™s well-known craft brews.
  2. Since 1996, the incontestable STONEĀ® mark has represented a promise to beer lovers that each STONEĀ® beer, brewed under the Gargoyleā€™s watchful eye, is devoted to craft and quality. Like all Gargoyles, it is slow to anger and seeks a respectful, live-and-let-live relationship with peers and colleagues ā€“ even those purveying beers akin to watered-down mineral spirits. But Stone and the Gargoyle cannot abide MillerCoorsā€™s efforts to mislead beer drinkers and sully
    (or steal) what STONEĀ® stands for.
  3. STONEĀ® beer is beloved by millions of beer drinkers across America. Resolute and fearless, the brewery has always stood for a philosophy and approach that defies the watered-down orthodoxy of ā€œBig Beerā€ companies and their fizzy yellow offerings. As Big Beer has stumbled in recent years, the Gargoyle has thrived. STONEĀ® is one of the most recognizable and popular craft beer brands in the U.S. and the global standard bearer for independent craft beer, with sales in all fifty U.S. States and across five continents
    [ā€¦] ā€œā€"

Since when did this become how lawyers communicate to a court? The personification, at length, of the Gargoyle - which isnā€™t even a gargoyle, itā€™s a grotesque - is inane. Ditto language like ā€œawesome reputationā€, ā€œbeers akin to watered-down mineral spiritsā€, ā€œwatered-down orthodoxyā€, and ā€œfizzy yellow offeringsā€ come straight out of middle-school debate club, not professional adult lawyering. OK, itā€™s just the introduction, and they do grow into long trousers for the meat of the claims, but still, to an outsider (who admittedly has seen this on other legal documents in the last year or so, and genuinely wonders when it became /de rigueur/) this looks little better than ā€œMillerCoors is a poopyheadā€.

Edit: it gets very interesting on p.12:
In millerā€™s own words: ā€œThe packaging features [ā€¦] a can that plays up the ā€œStoneā€ nickname.ā€ ā€“ http://www.millercoorsblog.com/news/keystone-light-new-look-15-pack/. Iā€™m no lawyer, but even I know the difference between a registered trademark, and a nickname. And then thereā€™s a section on the pushing of the single-word ā€œSTONEā€ designation in all kinds of marketting contexts. It looks like MillerPoopyhead (hey, I can do that, Iā€™m not Greg!) have gone out of their way to encircle themselves with mines, and then fired a BFG at their feet with this one. I know Stones are not entitled to a windfall, but I hope Miller go ouch after this.

Edit2: p.16:
"58. In September 2007, MillerCoors applied to register the mark ā€œSTONESā€ with the USPTO for use in connection with Keystone Light (U.S. Serial No. 77/284,994). The USPTO refused to register the mark for the obvious reason that ā€œSTONESā€ was likely to be confused with STONEĀ® when used on beer. The USPTOā€™s office action explicitly cited the incontestable STONEĀ® registration as the basis for its refusal, putting MillerCoors on formal notice of Stoneā€™s rights (in the unlikely event it was not aware of them already)
59. Tellingly, MillerCoors did not dispute the USTPOā€™s determination that its ā€œSTONESā€ mark would infringe STONEĀ® when used in connection with Keystone Light. MillerCoors instead abandoned its application, admitting that confusion with STONEĀ® beer was likely"
This level of stupidity should be punished.

1 Like

Can he not afford a beard trimmer? He looks like he really shouldnā€™t be working in the food industry. (And yes, this is pure PKB, I admit.)

3 Likes