How to pick style for sake?

It seems that the styles we have listed here can (and often do) overlap. For example, you can have a junmai gingo nama genshu.

So, what style should be prioritized? Milling ratio? What about after that? What gets first billing for a Nama Genshu sake?

@KyotoLefty for sake god to add his 2 cents

1 Like

They almost always overlap, and the system is somewhat arbitrary.

Junmai Ginjo and Junmai Daiginjo are categorized as Ginjo and Daiginjo respectively.

Anything with “Genshu” in the name is categorized as genshu. Anything with “nama” and not “genshu” is categorized as nama. This part is wholly arbitrary, but that’s how it has been done for the past 10 years or more, since I have basically been watching over things. (I did not create the categories, and would do it differently–I would make Genshu and Nama tags, not styles).

Anything with additives is Infused.

Anything with “taru” or “kioke” in the title goes to Taruzake, no matter what else it is.

If this was a sake-focused site, I would suggest changing things, but as so few people rate sake anyhow, I never thought it was worth the bother.

Mark

8 Likes

Nice timing.

15% sake sale at Astor & online today:

3 Likes

Appreciate the post and you keeping watch. Just for clarification;

So a Junmai Gingo that also happens to be a Genshu should be entered here as a Genshu or only if Genshu is in the name (e.g., not the description)?

1 Like

And for those in the UK after sake styles, Japan Centre are doing 15% off your first order and free delivery over ÂŁ40 till Wednesday
https://www.japancentre.com/

2 Likes

Yes, at least that’s how I would enter it.
One reason I never tried to fix this was that genshu and nama almost never were exported, so few people got to drink them. I guess things are different now.

Mark

Dr. Mark Meli
Professor, Faculty of Letters
Kansai University

3 Likes

I took a screenshot of your explanation in case I run into anything new on my visit to the Northern Islands in late April and early May. (One of our cruise ports is supposed to be inside of the cherry blossom window!) Otherwise I’ll beermail you Mark with any sake questions. I’m hoping to find a Saké - Futsu-shu the only style I’m missing (they added a couple new ones) since I was the 3rd on here to complete the sake styles after Josh Oakes and Walt (RIP)!

Futsu is everywhere. It usually won’t have the word on it, but anything cheap is likely Futsu.

Dr. Mark Meli
Professor, Faculty of Letters
Kansai University

Yeah, I’m surprised how many nama I’m starting to see. Though, had my first genshu.

Also, as opposed to breweries, seemingly we don’t add the producer’s into the name of each product. For example: Miyoshino Jozo isn’t in the entries for any of their products
https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/miyoshino-jozo/15357/

Though, I’m not sure how consistent this is.

1 Like

It’s not consistent. The thing is that many sake brewers have a name that is completely different from their brand name, often unknown to drinkers. Sake names are already quite long, so adding the brewery name along with the brand just makes things more confusing.

When I add a new brewery with such a brand, I usually omit the brewer name, but if there are already sakes added with both, I usually follow suit.

3 Likes