Please Post Request/Bugs in separate threads in the Feedback Forum

Every beer I click on goes to the above.

This is what I get when I click on one of your rated beers.

using one of the apps?

No, the website on my mobile.
When you click on your beers, do you see the review on the website or does it open in the app?
Maybe I should uninstall the app until further notice?

Yep, works fine now. Damn app was pretty useless anyways.

1 Like

Getting deconstructed, beer by beer, rating by rating…

1 Like

Can’t reproduce this… Weird bug you get…

I “cured” the problem by uninstalling the app.

1 Like

Isn’t this just in the app settings/app preferences/whatever your phone calls it? I get asked wether I want to open ratebeer.com-links in one of my browsers or in the app. I’m sure you can easily switch this setting.

This doesn’t explain why only one weirdly different beer comes up then, but might offer a workaround if you wanted to keep the app.

That is something I would like to understand. Some years ago when the website was “different”, the app was sometimes workable when the website went into spin cycle. These days the website seems quite fast. So why have an app when the website works quite quickly?

Hence the “if”. I still use Eric’s app, as it gives me more information about the people i follow, as well as a better experience when rating. And a better search.

2 Likes

The ability to upload beer pics seems to have gone tits up again. Not that that’s any kind of surprise, or anything.

3 Likes

The trick is to upload the pics in the page where you enter in your rating. On the main page it atill wants you to send an email. Hurray conaistency.

That’s the only way I ever do it. It doesn’t work at the minute.

1 Like

Actually no, not at all. We’re still growing and although traffic is slightly down from last Summer’s historic all-time high, we’re still approaching that level after Google’s recent shuffle. Engagement is up. And mobile is growing in use, users, and new users. Forums are less and less a feature that new users engage with, so this is what you’re noticing?

And “nearly a total site redesign”? I don’t get it. We have hundreds of different scripts that make the site. Mike and I worked the better part of a year to move all these to Bootstrap. Since late 2017, we’ve really only changed and redesigned a single feature page – the beer page. We’ve also changed search and search results. We’ve replaced the forums and messaging with an off the shelf product. I’ve been wanting to do so much more, but we haven’t really had the time. About 98% of the site though is essentially the same 2017 design.

I agree, that the experience of launching and then continuing to work on new output while we still have bugs has been a painful process. This is something we want to get much better about.

Thanks for your input. This is helpful. The image refresh issue is one with our host and simply requires time for the image to propagate to all of Amazon’s image hosting servers. The others were either or added or were already in the doc.

Here’s the doc

2 Likes

I hope that this is right. I only want success for the site. It certainly doesn’t feel like minor changes have been made. Either way, I hope that we are doing well and keep growing and getting better.

That perception threw me for a loop. I’m totally blown away by this unbelievable perception.

I just checked Analytics for both vs last month and year over year. Overall we’re looking great even relative to last year, which is our best on record. Even after we set records for most new users in a month and most visits in a month and most new reviews in a month since we announced the ZX investment, there are a few people that still believe that RateBeer is somehow struggling in the users and usage departments.

This is very much not the case at all.

Nice. I’ll take a proper look at that tomorrow but just briefly skimming over it now it does actually look like it contains most of the issues I was personally seeing, so if everything there gets fixed that will be great!

Hmm… I’ll have to try and remember which beers I tested with this to confirm. If that was the only issue then it was taking literally weeks in some cases.

That perception threw me for a loop. I’m totally blown away by this unbelievable perception.

Two days ago I looked up a beer that had 4000 ratings on Untappd and 3 on Ratebeer. Not an exaggeration. Are you really still unclear where this perception of low traffic comes from?

You’ve been saying for a long time that Ratebeer traffic keeps growing, but by every perceptive measure of traffic that we see, the site is being gutted. Common beers go unrated for days, weeks, or even months, nothing new gets added by anyone but the most steadfast old hat power users, and the forums are the slowest they’ve been in some 15 years. Meanwhile, your competitor, whose existence you refuse to acknowledge, has (very visible) numbers through the roof, numbers Ratebeer can’t even dream of: they’ve got random brewpub beers with more rates in 6 months than two decades worth of Guinness rates on Ratebeer!

The craft beer bubble has left Ratebeer in the dust but you perceive the trickle of growth as a win. Craft beer is a waterfall and you hold out a pint glass and say “look how much we’ve got to drink!”

7 Likes

this man is correct. r.i.p. ratebeer

1 Like