Some Farmer in

Why are those at RateBeer? Can I just add a brewery from a region with brewing traditions far back in history? Claiming that they still use ancient recipes and some kind of obscure herbs or Kveik???
In my opinion, delete all «Some Farmer in… « breweries. This is not Untappd! If not so happens, who makes the desition to keep them rateable? @joet or @ discobot

1 Like

Well, if it were Untappd, there would be one entry for each of the dozens of farmers…

That’s a bit silly; hopefully they all get removed. The Kyrgyz should also not be a brewery.

Hard to get the beer? Brew your own and rate it😂

the reason we have these entries (at least for Gotlandsdricka and Koduolu, those were the ones I knew about) is literally that these are homebrews which are not rateable, but we make an exception for those who have had an authentic one from the region. Probably Voss and Stjørdal were added for similar reasons, @larsga can probably explain more about those.

Larsga is not active on the Norwegian forum. Stjørdal and Voss are regions in Norway with old, authentic brewing traditions. But, there are other regions too, so why allow some to be listed at RateBeer and others not? And, can all homebrewers in those regions claim their «Farmhouse beer» to be rateable? Regardless quality? And, there are commercial breweries in Stjørdal and Voss that also offers «authentic beers»

1 Like

Some of these are just legacy entries from the early days of Ratebeer, when the rules were maybe a bit less defined. They are retained mainly for nostalgic purposes. Oakes or omhper would know the details.
I would be reluctant to see them deleted (except for the person who brewed his own), they’re part of the history of Ratebeer. I bet that traditional brews from other areas could be added if someone made a logical enough argument.

1 Like

as far as I know, any Gotlandsdricka brewed by any farmer on Gotland belongs under that one entry. In this sense, no, homebrews are still not rateable, but yes, that particular homebrew is rateable, but not as its own entry. And we only do this for these historic styles.

https://www.ratebeer.com/tag/true-traditional/

The tag description has the answers you seek.

I’m not Norwegian admin, so really hard to say. It is only justifiable if there is noticeable difference between regions, otherwise they should be merged. For example in Estonian we have 2 totally different traditions: the islands have tradition of koduõlu (which in it is most common form* reminds sahti) and setomaa has seto koduõlu (which is more similar to kvass).

*To be precise koduõlu actually has 3 substyles - koduõlu, taherber (made from 2nd run of the same malt), taar (3rd run and soured). The last two are even more rare than koduõlu, hence they are grouped together under one entry.

+1

There should also be one entry for a traditional “beer” in South Africa. Anybody remembers the name of that?

So that people can have true and genuine taste of what style should taste like. If local brewer legalizes his business and becomes “widely” distributed they get their own brewery entry with proper name and everything.

This, exactly.
If someone feels that a “Some farmer in…” or similar is missing, please feel free to discuss this with admins such as me, MartinT or Oakes.

It is intended only to list non-commercial brewers using traditional techniques, as a reference for those that want to know how the style is actually tasting. To brew your own example should not count.

2 Likes

There are several types of traditional beer in Southern Africa.
The most common style, sorghum beer / chibuku is commercialized and hence does not have a “non commercial” entry.

Here is one existing entry: https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/the-owambo/6465/

1 Like