Style updates are live

How do you like the current Style list compared to yesterday’s one guys? They just rolled back to an earlier beta version. Now we have Fruit Beer and Flavoured - Fruit styles…use the best that suits you.

Looks like it is no longer a style. At least not right now. By the time I click “Reply” it might be back again as a style…

Yeah they rolled back to an earlier beta version that was released with bugs and incomplete compared to what was voted. I don’t understand why I still invest that much time on this website…

1 Like

With the style roll back changes to the beta release version, we now beers listed like this in the DB, that don’t appear in My Styles…

It was a Saison before the roll back…

Seeing how I have a hard enough time to still understand the difference between a Belgian Ale that is blond and a blond ale made with Belgian yeast, that is not a Belgian ale, I won’t get into trying to understand the difference between Fruit Beer and Flavoured - Fruit.

Maybe one is made of fruit and one is just fruit added for flavour. Wonder if you can ferment a banana and get a Fruit Beer Banana, or if you have to add banana to the beer and be stuck with just a Flavoured - Fruit Banana.

That’s meant to be the same, they just rolled back an earlier version that had mistakes, twin entries and missing styles in it…

And here I was hoping for a difference. Would make adding new beers more interesting at least. =)

Guess it’s just wait and see what styles we will finally end up with.

I still dont understand what they have been doing the last year. The vote was months ago. Now they are rolling out an update which was promised months ago and it is still not even in a bit thought trough. Many mistakes, no style descriptions and now the roll back to some in between beta version.
Ratebeer get your shit together and finally deliver something which isnt full of bugs or mistakes. You are destroying youserlf. I really appreciate this new style move but it needs to happen in a smooth and faultless way not with this crazy mess!

5 Likes

Even better we now have a Pale Lager/Premium Lager style and a Premium Lager style…

1 Like

I suspect that was only true very near its roots. As it spread, and over time, it became predominantly a lager, to such an extent that nowadays those who think it’s useful to attempt to precisely define a style will specify it as a lager. (Note - do not confuse “precisely” with “accurately”, if I say Pi is 3.123456789, I’m being very precise, but not very accurate.)

So, are you saying that almost every current German attempt to make a Schwarzbier is also a failure? You seem to be damning 99% of the examples of the style.

For modern definitions, which is what RB is attempting to reflect, “is historically” is probably better worded as “was historically”, and left as an interesting footnote rather than normative. Certainly, don’t forget history, but don’t be a slave to it.

1 Like

The low alcohol - dark style retrospectively justified my decision to drink Karmi Classic. Now it is gone and I am lost.

6 Likes

I would say everyone should just wait a few days for things to settle down and even out before suggesting moving beers around etc.

2 Likes

A Herculean task to get things in order. Good luck!!

1 Like

All the pale lagers I’ve rated are now classed as Pale Lager - NthAm Light/Adjunct. But in reality I rarely drink such beers.

Whilst my Premium Lager rates are now under Pale Lager/Premium Lager

Isn’t a Rice Lager an Adjunct lager?

I’m thinking I should just close ratebeer for a month or so and then see if this mess has been sorted out.

1 Like

I think Rice Lagers should go with American Adjunct because Rice is adjunct and I don’t know if there’s enough Rice Lager in the DB to justify a separate style (but I may be wrong)

isn’t there a difference between Pale Lager (normally International Adjunct) and a Premium Lager (normally a pure malt lager) ?..ok I know many breweries cheat on the term…but it’s penalizing real Premium Lagers… and breweries also cheat on other styles too…
Won’t this enlarge an already big style even bigger?

And if you go on with the change, at least name it
Pale Lager - International / Premium
(to make the difference with North American Adjunct ones and keep the nomenclature)

3 Likes

I would suggest:
Pilsner: all grain malt and hops
Premium lager with malt ekstracts or hopp-ekstracts
Pale lager -adjunct with different sugar adding (rice/corn and others)
And you could throw in:
Pale lager- ice/light
That would be fairly easy to identify when looking at the ingredients list. (If you can trust that)

If it’s “all rice” - like Jasmine Rice - wouldn’t that be specialty grain?

1 Like

Now things seem to have settled down a bit, but I’m still trying to wrap my head around some of these new styles.

The style Pale Ale, what differs it from the other pale ales styles? At the moment it seems to only have some eastern European pale ales, but depending on the definition I’m sure there are quite a few APAs that will fit into that category that ended up as an APA due to the lack of other Pale Ale categories.

Not settled, more changes coming + automatic scripts “to fix” styles based on tags.

From what I understand: “Pale Ale” category should read as “Pale Ale - Other” and I moved Estonian things before it was known how big clusterfck this new style thing will be. At the moment joeT asked from the admins to not make changes to styles before new updates are live.

So we’re letting the dust settle and during this phase, Viper4 is helping classify change requests into three priority tiers. I won’t be moving beers for assignment into these categories until we have the first round of tier 1 high priority changes made. These changes will be based on admin discussions prior to the most recent styles push. We’ll make these change requests public and leave time for admin review.

Any criteria I use for making beer assignments will also be collaborative. I have faith it will go well. We can target country of origin, time of entry, terms in the beer name, former style assignment, words in the description, existing beer tags, abv… We can narrow the scope of changes to be very targeted. I’m sure we will have some false positives and false negatives while the expectation remains that these efforts will greatly reduce overall errors and speed the transition. I can use your help making criteria and checking for errors! Thanks so much in advance for your help!

5 Likes