Style updates are live

What is the difference between Pilsener - Imperial and Pale Lager - Strong?

2 Likes

Marketing.

1 Like

But a Pale Ale is a bitter or gold. Or an APA, etc. It doesn’t exist as a style.

1 Like

I was wondering how many Imperial Pilseners there could be. I’ve had one from when a local brewery used a recipe from the 1800’s and there was also a barrel aged version of it. Otherwise I’ve never come across it as a style

1 Like

Hvidtøl and dutch oud brune are trad. Ales not low alc.

Now that the urgent beer style adds have been made, I’ll be makes fixes in our QA environment and making bulk assignments requests. I do have some notes on these.

Can’t you just rename it to Pale Ale - Intl. / Other?

I’ve had a lot of Pale Ales that use a combination of for example US and Aussie hops (or any other combination of countries) that we’d have to arbitrarily decide whether it’s in the US or AU category or whatever. I’ve also had a pale ale using South African hops. Pale ales using German hops. Spanish. Italian. Even “European hopped”. What about these less common examples? Rather than forcing these into the nearest geographical category, why not repurpose/rename the catch-all? It would still retain its current intended functionality.

If not, where actually should I add a German hopped pale ale?

2 Likes

I’ve sent you a message with a list of ~20 bulk assignments that I think you should seriously consider. You may already be aware of some of these but since I use the tagging system A LOT they are mostly based on highly specific tags that should result in very few false positives (if any) that will greatly reduce admin workload and the insane number of corrections that would otherwise need to be made by us lowly users.
There are some that also take into account current style and/or ABV to pretty much guarantee no false positives will get accidentally moved.

Well they’ve been on the low Alcohol style definition for a long time…

Low alcohol beers range from the typical “non-alcoholic” beers which typically contain around 0.5% to the various European table beer styles. These include Hvidtøl and Skibsøl from Denmark, the Dutch oud bruins, svagdricka from Sweden, kalja from Finland, various Klass, Scandinavian lagers and table beers from the Teutonic countries as well. The base criteria is that the beer should be under 3% but still contain some alcohol - which rules out Malta/Malzbier. Otherwise, the class can be a bit of a free-for-all stylistically, ranging from bland lagers through alcohol-free Weizenbiere, to the smoky Skibsøl.

Then check please. The description is false/old/mistaken. All hvidtøl on ratebeer (with one or two exeptions) are trad. ales.

And all of the skibsøl on Ratebeer are smoked or trad. ale.

Doesn’t it make more sense to keep the truly traditional ales in traditional ale rather low abv?

4 Likes

There are bunch of beers in database that contain 0% alcohol (or very close to that) as modern technologies allow almost complete removal of alcohol. They are still beers in the essence, the alcohol is just removed.

1 Like

the right definition should read 0.05 to 3.5%.

It probably should, I have no problem with that, theses definitions are dating and are in the process of being updated.

1 Like

And the BA made another list of style guidelines:

2 Likes

Let’s hurry to add the South German-Style Bernsteinfarbenes Weizen to our style list :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Is there any missing styles from that list that should be worth it here?

2 Likes

Pale Ale - Hazy / New England
We have the IPA style but not Pale Ale, even though there’s a shitload of them. Probably half the pale ales I add are NE style, I put them all in Pale Ale - American because it’s the closest fit, they rarely seem hoppy enough or high enough ABV to classify them as a NEIPA, and I don’t like to call it an IPA if the brewer didn’t.

But in general, no, the rest of the styles we don’t have here seem like extremely rare/niche styles, many of which I’ve never even heard of let alone actually know any examples of.

Yeah but are they marketed as New England /Hazy Pale Ale? There’s few tagged examples of those…

In Québec, Canada, we have tons of marketed NEIPA but not a single Hazy Pale Ale…

Yep. “NEPA”, “New England Pale Ale”, “NE Pale”.

Do you have examples? Maybe this is just a UK thing?