Two new RB countries

Because they’re stubbornly refusing to abide by international norms, despite repeated corrections issued by the Ivorian government. The BBC also keeps using ‘Czech Republic’, even after publishing a piece about their new short name.

Using an outdated name after a country has made it clear that they have a new English-language name isn’t resisting ‘foreign pressure’: it’s childish grandstanding with no purpose.

1 Like

Well it is fun

2 Likes

The actual meaning is a bit different (at least in Belarusian, Ukrainian and Russian, I can’t speak for Western Slavic and the Balkans). Germans were called this because they (initially) couldn’t speak the local language, not because they “didn’t matter”. It would translate better as “inarticulate people”.

Damn just use the same location name that Google Maps uses FFS :stuck_out_tongue:
Cities list for places are already messed up because people often write the name of the city in their own language or by shorting some words instead of how it’s written on googlemaps leading in duplicates…don’t make the same mistake with Countries…

1 Like

That is my understanding as well of the word.

Should google maps’ view of Crimea be considered correct?

I deny that assertion. It’s not in English, so it’s not an English-language name. If they’re happy for us to do our best, by converting the accented letter into one with no diacritic, then surprise! - maybe our best is actually just translating the French into English like we’ve always done. Have they even considered meeting us in the middle (hey - international relations!) and saying that their official name in English should be “Cote d’Ivoire”?

I don’t see what the fuss is - tons of countries/languages fuck up the united kingdom’s name (to the point of being actually wrong), and we don’t give a monkeys.

Well, unless the situation has changed, Google Maps actually has two views of Crimea:

1. It’s part of Russia (when you access GM from Russia, and possibly the handful of other countries that voted against UN Resolution 68/262)

2. It’s part of Ukraine (when you access GM from the rest of the world)

Interestingly, UnTappd lists Crimea as part of Russia.

When I asked about this on RateBeer (can’t find the post, was possibly on the old forums) the reply was that the situation the ground is not clear, and that it may listed as part of Russia in a “couple of decades” or something like that.

1 Like

Croatian:
Nijemac / nijem (mute)

Serbian:
Nemac / nem (mute)

In our cases, the word definitely means “mute” now - the origin is likely what you say. Unsure for Serbian, but in Croatian “nijemac” isn’t used for a “mute person” really, only the adjective is used.

Then I went to the wiki page for “foreign names of Germany”, and of course some clueless degenerate(s) “with opinions” / “who know better”, among the other languages listed the “Serbo-Croatian” name for it, and of course it’s the only place where two forms are written down.

I’d say that insistence on a dead idea and the entirely wrong approach to the legitimate sides of it (that STANDARD Croatian and STANDARD Serbian (and Bosnian etc.) are based on the same language but whose name isn’t and shouldn’t be “Serbo-Croatian” - the Shtokavian language continuum) is even more aggressively wrong and annoying than the whole Côte d’Ivoire thing. The standard isn’t the entirety of a language FFS. Somehow it’s “right” to do that in this situation and this situation only, and not in tens of other similar situations worldwide - those are okay to be separate. Fucking un/semi-educated hipsters.

/rant over

2 Likes

The Crimea situation on Ratebeer is as follows.

• It is considered a ‘disputed territory’.
  • Disputed territories that affects a traveller may be listed as a separate country, if the situation has remained frozen for a long period of time (in the order of a decade)
  • Until then the disputed territory will remain where it was before.
  • Hence Crimea is still part of Ukraine on Ratebeer.
  • In a not too distant future it may be listed separately, but the decision for now was to not make any change at this time.
  • Under current policy, it can only be considered to be part of Russia if it is more or less universally recognized as such.
  • Note that this is a new situation, that was not considered when policies were discussed, so policy may of course be changed.
4 Likes

Why would they? It’s their name, not yours.

Because it’s our language, not theirs, and you’re trying to modify our language. They shouldn’t have a say in that.

You desperately keep pushing the perverted idea that the source language decides how their words are introduced into target languages, which is utter wrongthink. That’s not how things have ever worked, will ever work, or should ever work - pretending otherwise is really pissing in the wind. It’s our language, and we will mangle your words as much as we darn well like. I expect you to do the same to our placenames in your language. That’s how the world works, we accept that, why can’t you?

Is your forehead getting sore from repeatedly running onto my fist?

3 Likes

From now on, the official Dutch name for the United States of America is 美国. That’s what we’ve chosen, please be respectful and honour our wishes.

3 Likes

So, playing devil’s advocate here, you’re called Phil, which is an English name. I’d rather call you Dick, because that’s how I feel you should be named from a local language perspective. Or like @blipp, I’d call him Shitface all the time, even though he insists on Shithead. You’d be OK with that? You’re called what you’re called, right?

1 Like

It’s not an English name, it’s a Greek name, that we mangled, because fuck greek. Anyway, if that’s how your language works fine. I have the right to not recognise your local name for me and not communicate with you.

I have been in a place where I didn’t recognise my own name, by sound. I heard this “puh-hil” that was read out by people who were used to phonetic languages, and ignored it until the coin dropped that it was me. Next time I was asked for my name I wrote it at “Fil” - so the letter sounds in their alphabet would match what I’d expect to hear. This was taking place in their environment, I adapted my name to their environment. They were polite enough to want to call me by something that I’d recognise, why do you not extend the same courtesy?

And it’s not just the spoken version that I’ve witness being mangled. When I went to Russia, my visa had fucked-up-not-proper-Greek glyphs (apparently Bish Kyril thought fuck greek too) all over it that apparently represented my name. At no point did I think of approaching the authorities and saying “this bunch of heiroglyphs is not my name”, because to them it was my name. The environment was Russia, their transliteration protocol and their script rule. Full stop.

There’s no hyprocrisy here, I’m not sure why you thought you might uncover some.

It isn’t your language; you just speak it.

That’s your idea of perverted? A country telling the world what their name is? Do you go on this rant when you meet people from other countries and they introduce themselves with a name that scares you and makes you uncomfortable because there’s a ł or a ž in it? Would you tell someone named Paweł that his name must be Paul around you because you’re speaking in English to him and English doesn’t have those letters in it?

It’s worth pointing out that every single country in the UN recognises Côte d’Ivoire’s name, including yours. So much for the world not working like that.

Fixed.

I hope the audience at home has got their pen and paper ready - let’s play “spot the logical fallacy”!

Straw men.

Irrelevancy.

What’s the name of those two new countries again?

I seem to have lost the plot, or at least some of us have.

<*))))))><

Saint Pierre and Miquelon and Easter Island

2 Likes

Thanks @rhoihessegold, I wonder what the locals call those islands?

<*))))))><