UK Booze Cruise

On Friday 30th August I, along with my good lady set off for Portsmouth to join a ship that would take us around the UK and back to Portsmouth in 12 days; this thread will highlight the highlights!

We stopped off on the way at the Southwick Brewhouse, an old steam brewery with a bottle, can and cask ale shop within it. A very pleasant place with all five of their ‘Suthwyk Ales’ for sale in both cask and bottles. We bought all five and a few other bottles while there.

We then proceeded on board and was a little disappointed to find only one beer on tap in each bar. The ship is registered in Madeira with the companies head office in London, so seeing Bitburger Pilsner as the draft beer was a surprise! Luckily it was only £3:30 for 0.4 litre, plus there was a small selection of bottles and cans to choose from (no new rates for me though).

<*))))))><

4 Likes

Do you mean 30 August? This all has already happened right?

1 Like

Corrected!

<*))))))><

1 Like

I’ve been looking forward to these details as my lady and I love cruising…I love beer.

1 Like

First port of call was Hull, yes I do spoil my wife don’t I?

Actually Hull was lovely, hadn’t been for years and we had a great afternoon visiting some interesting pubs while also taking in the old buildings and sights of the city.

Pub No. 1

Pub No. 2, The Yorkshire Brewing Taphouse. Margie and our ‘flight’, plus the beer board.

Pub No.3

Pub No. 4

Last Pub of the day: This is the inside of Wm Hawkes.

Hull gave me five new place reviews and eleven new beer rates, could have been a lot more of each, but we also visited a ‘Freedom Festival’ and saw a fair bit of Hull while wandering the streets, even found the old Hull Brewery.

<*))))))><

4 Likes

I’ve been meaning to go back to Hull since I graduated 19 years ago. The Minerva is the one place I remember going to.

(And funnily enough I’ve been meaning to go to Suthwick too.)

2 Likes

Second port of call was Kirkwall in The Orkneys. Visited two shops selling local bottles (picture of bottles below) and the Bothy Bar in the Albert Hotel, picked up two new rates in there; pleasant little town, cathedral and museum also visited.

<*))))))><

4 Likes

On returning to the ship at Kirkwall we were informed the weather had altered, with strong winds and high seas forecast; we would be staying in Kirkwall overnight and not be visiting Stornaway on the Isle of Lewis the following day. A pity as I have never been to the Outer Hebrides. Tobermory on the Isle of Mull would therefore be Port No. 3.

The cruise line didn’t advertise it as a ‘Booze Cruise’, I did. Having a fridge in our cabin helped, as I had a couple of beers each night as we showered and changed for the evening meal. The ships policy was not to allow alcohol to be brought on board, but I had no problems when ever I had beer in my rucksack.

Tobermory (Balamory to thousands of childen) is a pretty little town with a colourful waterfront and not much else to see once you’ve walked it’s length. The best pub is called Mishnish and sells Belhaven beers, the Co-Op had a few local beers and I found another two bottles in a weird shop, ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ sort of place. Bought a new anorak too!

The Mishnish is the yellow building in the picture.

Me inside having a pint.

The contraband I smuggled on board.

<*))))))><

4 Likes

What was the cruise company name? Trying to talk my misses into it. :wink:

https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyu2tr4zN5AIViLTtCh1f7wwhEAAYASAAEgIOdPD_BwE

<*))))))><

1 Like

Next morning (Friday 6th Sep) we wake up in Belfast. Titanic Exhibition takes up the morning and we mange a few beers during the afternoon, three different locations used as we walked around the city.

This is the 401 Bistro inside the Titanic Exhibition, only bottles available, but needed a rest after our tour around the place.

A Big Fish meet!

Bittles Bar, a proper drinking establishment with six new rates for me.

Enjoyed our time in Belfast, first time we’ve been.

<*))))))><

4 Likes

Saturday was Dublin, it’s full of pubs! We walked around a lot and managed to drink in three fine bars while taking in ‘the sights’. I think I got nine new rates and a Guinness while in the city, plus some bottles in the rucksack.

Slattery’s Bar, the wife wanted an Irish Coffee, I needed a pint!

Molly Malone with her Cockles and Mussles, plus a Fish!

Inside the Temple Bar location ‘Porterhouse’.

Mulligans was our other bar of the day, a real drinkers place, but a bit like an old waiting room at a large railway station, so no photo.

<*))))))><

7 Likes

Next morning we wake up at anchor off St Mary’s in the Isles of Silly, like Tobermory, it’s a tender to the land as there isn’t a deep enough quay for us.

Nice little town with a small selection of shops and pubs to wander around, we did an hours walk around the coast before looking for beer outlets and pubs. Bumped into an old work colleague and had a couple of pints with him in The Mermaid, already had some others in the Atlantic beforehand. Managed to find some Ales of Silly bottled stuff to take back on board too, so a successful day all round.

Local beer at a Beach Bar.

Four more beers from Ales of Silly made it back to the ship, along with a guest beer!

The Atlantic is a St Austell owned pub and I haven’t rated a cask ‘Proper Job’ or ‘Hicks’ apparently, I will when I get round to adding all the beers from the trip.

I told her not to park it too close to the beach!

<*))))))><

6 Likes

Really like the updates.

Thanks!!

1 Like

Last port of call was St Peter’s Port, Guernsey; another place I had never been to before. Managed four pubs and some bottles from the Co-Op as well as getting soaked as it rained all day. Again we used a tender to get in from the ship.

Three cask ales, two from Guernsey (White Rock and Randells), the other ‘London Pride’.

This is a Banks’s/Marstons pub, but they did have that Breda Pilsener/Lager on tap. I also had a pint of Lancaster Bomber while sheltering from the rain.

New place on the harbour front called The Taphouse, these were the most exciting offerings.

Very close was the Ship & Crown, a Liberation (Jersey) owned place where I found three new rates.

<*))))))><

5 Likes

Portsmouth docks and home after a lovely 12 day cruise, 7 ports of call and 19 place reviews when I get round to finishing writing them. 18 new bottles came home with me and I think the total new rates I had while on the trip will be over 50.

All that and keeping the wife happy by having a bottle of wine with every evening meal, Gin & Tonics beforehand, more wine watching the show and then even more wine in the night club and staggering back to the cabin between 01:00 and 02:00 each morning.

<*))))))><

6 Likes

And here’s your reward!
http://fatphil.org/beer/stats/Britain_2019-09-16_daily.html

Cheers, I have now broken into the top 50 of Northern Ireland, Guernsey and Jersey (just).

<*))))))><

Great updates Jeremy, loved the photos and the commentary

1 Like

@FatPhil, I take it the ‘regions’ are England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland, IoM, Jersey, Guernsey and Gib? Have I added, or missed any?

<*))))))><