Well?!

That might have been true a decade ago, but these days multitudes of US brewers are making World Class lagers of all sorts.

6 Likes

Does that mean you’d get rid of Pale Ale?

3 Likes

Surprised no one has said Stout after all these years of pastry candy sugary crap. Known accomplice of Hazy.

2 Likes

They’ve raised the bar, that’s for sure, plenty of US brewers actually visiting Europe to learn how to do lagers properly from Czech or German brewers, going through all the motions like double decoction, getting Euro ingredients and not improvising with local stuff as well in some cases. I’ve had a couple of pretty good ones, that’s fo sho. Wild East brought their Patience & Fortitude to Prague last March and it easily beat a lot of / most local lagers present at the fest (which did lack most of the best ones). Juuust slightly missed bitterness for my tastes (though it’s 37 IBUs), but Saaz was truly shining there.

Thing is, sometimes they’re too well brewed for their own good hahahah, ending a bit on the sterile side. Or sweeter than they should be.

4 Likes

I do like pilsners but yea, around here, where you and I sample, the majority of pils/pilsners brewed here are quite unenjoyable.

2 Likes

Based on my drinking habits I’d probably say stout. I nearly never drink the big sweet pastry stout things, both because they’re too expensive and I just don’t ever want more than like 2 ounces of it.

So yeah, I’d pick stout from this list even if it included imperial and pastry stouts.

1 Like

I’d consider giving up stouts if I can still have porters :wink: Non hazy IPAs and pale ales can theoretically fulfill my hop needs.

2 Likes

Pale Ale is probably my favorite style and in my area fairly rare.
I love pilsners: Czech, German, Italian and recently New Zealand.
I enjoy stouts as long as they’re not too strong and and full of stupid shit.
And while I do have one now and then, hazies can basically eat a dick.

3 Likes

@sloth hit thread

and the answer is, obviously, hazy.

2 Likes

HAZY, New England IPA’s to go immediately and all the rest by Saturday!

<*))))))><

2 Likes

Looks like it eh?
Goin against the grain here. I’m a fan of Ales. They just have more flavor imho. Bigger bodied, hoppier, fruitier etc. I dig my hazies. Pale Ale I was weened on and damnit ya just gotta have some thick black beer on occasion!
Don’t get me wrong I dig a Pils occasionally, love a nice hoppy Bo Pils when I can find a good one, find a good one. :beers:

1 Like

I like Hazys a lot, but I think it’d probably be the one I’d lose the least sleep over.