County Stat Attack Week 1 - Warwickshire

Mates, I just love how active you try to keep your UK forums. We Germans are quite silent and inactive in our forums :wink:

And just for fun I contribute my Warwickshire ratings:

a cider by Hogan´s

drank in Brussels at Dynamo Bar

Crazy world :smiley:

6 Likes

Thank you for joining in, the more the merrier, hopefully you will have more luck with the next County we highlight. We intend to follow up with German Bundeslander at some point.

2 Likes

I’d say that Purity are worth seeking out, they can beers now as well as bottle so can be found, also Clouded Minds and Atomic are pretty decent at times.

1 Like

@rhoihessegold, I have used the DACH forum a couple of times, always had helpful replies to my enquires. It has never been a busy place even before so many people left RateBeer. The UK forum has sadly died a slow death, however some of us do try and keep the posts ‘flowing’.

Thanks for joining in.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Many thanks!

My local Asda in Cheshire stocks Purity, but I’m not keen on their beers

43 for me, with Hogan’s taking the lions share. Clouded Minds and Purity have a good look in plus a smattering of small cider producers. No ratings from Aldi and no places rated I don’t think.

Funnily enough we were driving past Warwickshire on the way back from London on Wed and thought we should book a night there. Perhaps Easter.

1 Like

Right here we go.

Aldi 9
Purity 8
North Cotswolds 5
Shakespeare 2
Atomic 1
Church end 1
Freestyle 1

Only just rated the Aldi beers.

Joe

2 Likes

Warwickshire 62 (24th place)

Purity 10
North Cotswold 9
Church End 9
Atomic 7
Warwickshire Beer Co 7
Aldi 6
Tunnel 4
Slaughterhouse 3
Wetheroak Brewery 2
Clouded Minds 2
Church Farm 1
Long Itch 1

2 Likes

I think that one of the more unusual aspects for Ratebeer and Warwickshire is that the current leading Place for us is The Norman Knight in Whichford. Unusual in the fact that generally our top rated places tend to be in the larger towns / cities where access is easier.
The background to the high ratings for The Norman Knight is that it has hosted 2 pretty reasonable breweries over the years, Wizard and Patriot Breweries both started there before moving on, also John of Turpin Brewery started there too. It is a very traditional Cotswold pub with flagstone floors, nooks and crannies, 7 hand pumps serving different local beers. There is a camp site in the orchard at the back, which made the remoteness of the pub a little easier to handle. The area is very attractive, very popular with walkers and cyclists in abundance.
Although it is still a very popular pub it has changed a little now, the Breweries have left and it has gradually become more popular for food than beer now. The Norman Knight on horse has been removed from the front. A lot of the marks are from quite a while ago, one of the issues with Places on here unfortunately.
It is good to see that more remote Places can reach the heights on Ratebeer while it is pretty unusual it can be done.

2 Likes

So it’s one of those places that should have been closed when the breweries both left as the ratings no longer reflect the actual place.

I know what you are saying but I don’t think so as people are reviewing the place rather than the beers and the place remains more or less the same, just different licencees, which happens to most pubs. If I were to be able to have influence of how Ratebeer runs places, which I don’t, I would have older reviews having less impact by the year and newer scores counting for more.
I would also like to see my score on the Town Page / list and I would also like to be able to sort alphabetically and on the pub page see a lit of nearby pubs, but hey ho.

2 Likes

Only 16 for Warks. Clearly I need to go to Lidl. But I wish I could find some more Clouded Minds or Church End beers as they were good. It seems I find it easier to find the beers of New Zealand and Colorado than those of Shakespeare’s county. Let’s hear it for globalization!

Purity Saddle Black (Cask, Keg & Can)

Clouded Minds Clout Stout

Church End Stout Coffin

Atomic Fission

Atomic Half Life

Purity Pure UBU

Church End Grave Diggers Ale

Sperrin Ansley Mild

Hippy Killer Brew Natty Dread

Windmill Hill Pump Room Porter

Clouded Minds Hazel Nutter American Brown Ale

Atomic Bomb

North Cotswold Hung Drawn ‘n’ Portered

Atomic First Lightning

Purity Longhorn

Slaughterhouse Winter Ale

1 Like

Only 46 for me, which surprised me that its that low as being in Black Country based, I’m fairly close, but obviously the beers don’t make it over here that often. Haven’t got round to clearing the whole Aldi range yet, either.

1 Like

OK now I’m going to go through the 46 counties and see how many top pubs are rural…

Edit. I did it, here are the counties where the top pub seems in a less urban location (proper rural or in a smaller town for the region). I dont knkw some of these areas too well (e.g. Oxon) so used my guesswork

Bhurtpore Inn, Aston (Cheshire)
Blue Anchor, Helston (Cornwall)
Beer Hall Hawkshead), Staveley (Cumbria)
Buxton Brewery Tap House & Cellar, Buxton (Derbyshire)
Darts Farm, Clyst St George (Devon)
Castle Inn, West Lulworth (Dorset)
Westholme Stores, Goring (Oxfordshire)
Simply Local, Burntwood (Staffordshire)
Norman Knight, Whichford (Watwickshire)

1 Like

I dont know this place in particular but this can be a problem. However I’m glad we don’t go down the CAMRA route of delisting a place when they change landlords, especially in this day and age.

Obviously Darts Farm, Westholme Stores and Simply Local are not pubs and I would say that Buxton is a large town, so that just leaves 5.

2 Likes

The Place ratings are quite sad really. I.e. Surrey has three fecking Spoons, a Shepherds Neame pub and a pub that nowadays I believe only does Doombar in its top rated places. I think I’m the only person to have rated the decent newer bars/pubs in Guildford and Weybridge, and other newer places are also missing like the tap and bar/bottle shop in Reigate and two brewpubs. Although that’s something for other county’s threads.

1 Like

Have to agree, the Places section is sadly underused but could be such a great resource imo. Even if people would leave a mark without reviewing would be something.

1 Like

Slippy slope … if you’ve ever checked out places in Poland and Russia so many 100/100 with meaningless scores stuck in by proprietors and friends to get to the top of the list.

Place ratings are about information with some beer focus.

I can look at Trip Advisor if I wanted a score.

One review with text is better than 50 with numbers only.

4 Likes