Do you rate NEIPAs high because they are trendy or because they are superior

What about Zwickel or Kellerbier? Or Franconian lagers that taste best in the first two weeks since bottling?

1 Like

i Donā€™t think his evaluation of NEIPA has been thought through very well.

Surprisingly it scores 0.1 higher than ā€œregularā€ IPA. I guess there are too many crappy Dutch breweries with something they call IPA in their assortment. Canā€™t explain it any other way.

1 Like

Yes, I mean that lots of hops can hide off flavors, like lots of booze or barrel aging can as well. I donā€™t mean it always does, but I think it sometimes does. By failings, or imperfections perhaps, I usually mean lack of body - at least thatā€™s one of the major problems with bad hazies. Though some of this is due to hop creep, even with the guys who do it best.

And donā€™t get me wrong, I like a lot of them too @hopbomber

i rate them high because they are a superior trend

1 Like

Ok, so lack of body so youā€™re saying thin low FG that would certainly be an issue with an NEIPA. Further to your hops hide off-flavours they certainly do not do that they can actually create them if you throw too many in the FV.
Also, with regards to barrel aging again they do not hide off flavours. You cannot hide them you wait until they subside. A barrel will cause some oxidisation but putting a beer in barrel will not hide esters, diac, or anything else for that matter.

Also higher alcohol is an off flavour you can get it on 6% ipa and 14% imperial stout.

Higher alcohol can be an off flavor, but is also a fact. You donā€™t always taste booze in a 10% stout. That doesnā€™t mean it isnā€™t contributing to a change in flavor. Everything you do to a beer affects the flavor in some way. In hazy ipas, if you have what would be still considered a regular IPA, and perhaps wouldnā€™t be as good, and drop a load of extra dry hops in it (double or triple, for example), then you may hide some failings in what is otherwise the base beer. Also, sometimes not - sometimes it creates failings, as you say.
Maybe you are just getting mad because I said failings? Perhaps we can just agree that you take a regular IPA and double dry hop it, you improve it sometimes? (and sometimes not?
And barrel aging can hide almost every flavor in a base beer, as many stouts do, because sometimes they just taste like whiskey. So whether off flavour or good flavor, a barrel certainly does change the taste/aroma. I donā€™t usually love what barrel aging does except for a few examples.

3 Likes

IPA 3,43
Hazy 3,38
I thought there were bigger difference, but I have had lots of very bad IPAĀ“s soā€¦

2 Likes

weirdest question everā€¦ I think the majority of people here rates according to what they like. And as with any style, at first you are overwhelmed by the new aromaā€™s and flavours hitting you hard. I remember Stone IPA, I found them at the time way too bitter for me, not being used to such West Coast style IPAā€™s. Now I have no problem with that. So, Iā€™d guess you have the same with NEIPAā€™s. At first youā€™re overwhelmed by the super fruity and juicy aromaā€™s, after a while you get more used to them, more trained I like to think, making you able to detect other flavours in the beer as well. I donā€™t think the hops are per se used to hide anything, or being a decoy, rather than just make them shine on their own and live up to their full potential. But if below that is a sub-par beer used as a base, maybe now weā€™re better trained to detect the brewing errors than we were before?

6 Likes

I tend to give them the shitty ratings that they deserve. Itā€™s a fad I canā€™t wait see go away.

1 Like

Not as bad as milkshake IPAs

1 Like

Rejecting a whole style is terribly childish. Many of the ā€œargumentsā€ brought up here I expected from macro-lager-bros.

4 Likes

Iā€™m rated just only two NEIPAā€™s/ One from Slovakia are superior. Mega hops aroma, Great beer. And one NEIPA are medium quality from Pinta brewery. More fruity, low hoppy. Two sweet. I want more taste NIEPA because I like extreme double hoppy beer not for trendy. Is that trendy style? i donā€™t care about it.

5 Likes

They tend to get sub-par ratings from me because theyā€™re generally too starchy. Add lactose and youā€™ve got something which will possibly make me gag. I had a .rar whale a few weeks ago, and it was basically disgusting trub, Iā€™d even go as far as to say it felt lumpy, yikes - a 1.x drainpour (which I obviously donated to the hazebros round the table who were lapping it up).

Just occasionally thereā€™s a good one, but it has to be one that, if my eyes were closed, I wouldnā€™t be able to detect that it was cloudy - I simply do not like the aroma or the taste of the starches in suspension, be they from flaked oats, wheat flour, or whatever. Which is way less than one in ten.

1 Like

Not an adjective that has occurred to me but certainly one I agree with.
Some unusual mouthfeels.

I tend to find breweries shabby NE IPA to be closer to a decent IPA than than their previous shabby IPA, so generally some slight improvement.

As far as numbers go, Id assume they score higher because they are visually exciting, aroma forward, and flavorfulā€¦kind of like Imperial Stout vs. Stout.

3 Likes

Indeed!! There have been a few cases where I thought I had a great analysis of a new beer and it turned out to be the closest thing to a dictionary description of the style.
:joy:

I rate them low-ish because I generally hate the appearance and dislike the sweetness

5 Likes

Not to mention the acidic or astringent fruit juice textural aspect.

1 Like