RateBeer Forums

Festival tactics

I know beer festivals vary from country to country on formats with pay as you go/tokens to free once inside, etc, etc.

My question is more about how you go about your drinking at a festival; in what order do you choose your beers?

I always try and pre-plan my attack with a list of priorities from the beer list.

When it’s a British one I tend to go for new breweries first, then new local beers (meaning from Shropshire for me) followed by hitting counties of England I have few ratings from. Old favourites then get a look in.

German and Belgian ones I go for new breweries too, then whatever takes my fancy.

Never been to a North American beer fest, but have managed to attend ones in Corfu and Denmark once.

<*))))))><

I alway take a good look at the beer list if one is published in advance. And then add a load of beers on to here😁

Will normally go for the following order:

1. New local breweries (Berks, Hants, Surrey, + b-list counties Dorset, Wiltshire and West Sussex) and countries.
  2. New local beers
  3. Style ticks
  4. New brewries
  5. New beers from favourites
  6. Whatever I haven’t had
    *Plus anything particularly ltd up front.

So I only spent about an hour at Egham last November before heading to Reading as I wanted to tick off Old Windsor, Ealing and Marko Paulo.

At GBBF I ticked off the particular counties and breweries I was after first when I was solo and then went for random US stuff and others when I had company .

In the US, you have to manage lines quite carefully. I have tried to make plans before, but they end up scuppered very quickly when it turns out the brewery I wanted to try a load of beers from has blown up and now has a huge line that I can’t be bothered waiting in. I then just end up drinking anywhere without a line.

2 Likes

Get the list. Check off new to me beers. Rate those. If I have remaining capability, go for old favorites, if any. Otherwise, grab some very unhealthy and tasty food!

I try to stagger the hoppy ones with some darker brews in between, and go higher up the ABV until I reset with some food, or water. Just to give a chance to my taste buds to cool down. If I start with an Other Half IPA for example, the next five beers will all taste hoppy for me. The first thing I do at a festival is trying to locate a water source to rinse the tasting glass.

Usually the first beer I see when coming through the door, then I usually go through all the region and country ticks that I want to get. I do not usually plan too much (also I have to account for my wife who has her own agenda at beer festivals). If it is a large festival, we usually tackle regions of the festival and work around the whole thing. Also, at certain festivals I ensure that I eat a bunch of food to ensure I do not repeat what happened at the first Green City or Savor a few years back…

1 Like

++++++++++++++++

1 Like

Most UK festivals don’t have any water facilities. And a lot do halves as the smallest serving. So the first thing I look for is a pot plant to pour away my beers into.

1 Like

Don’t plan in advance. If I see something that takes my fancy I’ll buy it. Much less stressful that way.

1 Like

Depends on the festival really. For some of the more intensive festivals I’ll make an Untappd list of the interesting beers. Generally I wan’t to hit those with highest Untappd scores. Usually there are several white whales which are priority so I’ll check their locations and share the info with my wingman.

Add To RateBeer

Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Add An Event

Manage Your Account

Add Premium
Edit Profile

RateBeer Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter, RateBeer Weekly, a must for understanding new people, places and beers in worldwide craft culture.

Stay Connected

2000- 2017 © RateBeer, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service