How is Coronavirus Impacting Ticking

Utter chaos here in Shropshire yesterday as Law & Order breaks down. Flagrant disobedience as the wife insists on drinking wine in the afternoon sun ON A TUESDAY, a day where it has been decreed no alcohol is to be consumed.

This causes me to crack, I open a couple of Belgian Blondes I had set aside for Thursday, when will this all end?

<*))))))><

6 Likes

Snap here, I am making an exception to the normal no beer Monday through Wednesday for 3 main reasons, 1. Lockdown, 2. unusual sunny weather (make the most of it whilst it’s here) 3. It’s Easter / School holidays and I should have been on holiday any how.

1 Like

Looks like I’m the only one who has been reducing his drinking. Used to call into a pub or two on the way home a couple of times a week, often also on a Sunday after work, and havent really replaced this with home drinking.

One reason being that I’m using the extra free time to cycle more, specifically off-road MTB / cross country stuff… I’m surrounded by countryside, hills, woods etc… so I’m making the most of exploring, which I need a clear head for. Did 50 miles Monday after 3 alcohol-free days, which I wouldn’t have done otherwise. No bad thing… that first beer when I got back tasted stellar!

Cantillon Saint Gilloise in the fridge for when I return tomorrow!

3 Likes

Me too. No trips to London. No lunchtime pub.

1 Like

I’m massively down on numbers but not so much on quality. Probably won’t hit 10k this year now. Was projected to be early November. Will do another online order after Easter.

My targets will have to be revised as well. I have a feeling that I won’t get 1000 places before my September birthday as I had planned…

Was meant to be in back in the UK visiting the parents in London next week for my dads 80th Birthday, but not happening now sadly, which also means no London bar/brewery ticking for me which I had planned :frowning:

Ticking wise over here, all the bars/taprooms in Copenhagen have closed for drink in for some time now, but many of them switched to can/bottle/growler/crowler takeaway/delivery so been getting some deliveries from them, trying my best to help support local places here like Himmeriget/Peders/Kihoskh etc and some local breweries (got a Gamma delivery soon) - also experimented ordering from abroad, placed a order with Beerdome in the Netherlands and delivery still only took the normal 3-4 business days which is good.

Have a good Easter ticking all :beer:

5 Likes

The perils of selling your brewer to a company by that’s only driven by profit. Presumably due to the current situation, Hawkshead have made the majority/all (not clear) of their employees redundant, including the brewers.

Apparently Halewood are making redundancies across the board. But sacking your.brew staff?!

I read the tweet yesterday and I’m completely oblivious to what is going on there. If you head brewer and associate brewer leaves who’s doing the brewing?

If I remember correctly I think the same owners closed downed production at Sadler’s and moved it to Hawkshead. So have they amalgamated the brewing staff or have they essentially shut both breweries?

Yep I second this, and emphasis on the good prices. Very rarely have I ever seen RAD beaten on price. Easily one of my favourite online shops and one of the few that I have never had any kind of issue with in the past few years.

Just a heads up they’ve dropped their free delivery requirement down to >£50 orders now, and also use code SENDBEER for 10% off.

Was wondering this myself. Just re-read the second of those tweets and still not sure how to interpret. Are the signed names the employees who remain? So they’re left with 4 brewers and 5 people in marketing? They haven’t explicitly said they’re shutting down but with such prominent losses on the brewing side and the current climate, it doesn’t sound good for them.

Theyve shut down the Sadlers brewery in Lye and had moved production to Hawkshead. Just specualtion, bit I doubt many of the Sadlers staff will have wanted to upheave and move from the Midlands to Cumbria.

Impossible to beat because they are primarily a distributor - Real Ale Direct. They buy at the lowest rate, add their mark-up then sell on to other retailers. Which is why those retailers can never beat them on price. Great for the beer drinker. Not so fair on other retailers.

2 Likes

Re-reading the tweets it does like like it the three that have gone, not the whole lot.

Was planning to order from Elusive and A Hoppy Place next week but then saw the US and Canadian beers on Cloudwater’s site so couldn’t resist.

1 Like

Cheers for this Chris, never used them before but just placed an order with them. Good website, lots of choice, 2 new breweries for me as well.

1 Like

I made an order last week, we will see if everything is in order when it delivers tomorrow. Up to now it seems solid compared to a few others I have used.

I did support my local store Beautiful Beers and from order to door step was 3 hours…can’t beat that!

2 Likes

Current confirmed cases: Ireland 11,479 UK 98,476. Their numbers were pretty close to each other a month ago. The UK is not testing much relative to Ireland so its confirmed cases likely understate to a greater degree. Ireland 11,479 UK 98,476. Still 11479 x 1.4^7=121000 is not far off.

In desperation I’m trying the Beer52 monthly delivery. Possibly just have them while the lock down is in place. Used a 50% off introductory voucher. See how that goes, not really in my nature to have unknown beers coming in though.

@imdownthepub, join in the Beer52 thread when they arrive; there are one or two of us who use them and we post something about the beers every so often.

<*))))))><