Lambics and rb

Unless someone can give actual evidence that he is official now, which can be confirmed (like I said before, my friend can ask from the man himself), I consider this matter closed.

RB has not changed indeed. Beer world has changed over and over again in that period. Thatā€™s why RB is where it is.

And what have you done to make them rateable? Iā€™ll give you a hint - nothing. Make it rateable.

Another site has already been chosen. And its up to yā€™all to decide how many users can you afford to lose.

You reply to me like I own the siteā€¦ I donā€™t.

Iā€™m aware your position is not easy and that you have to put up with all the shit weā€™re giving you. That goes with the position.

But what you said is the problem with RB. Who is running the site? Who makes these kind of decisions? Is it Joe? ZX Ventures? Board of admins?

Are rules decisions and arguments made 10 years ago never to be put in question?

On OBD Iā€™ve shared beers with 2 Ratebeerians. One is still active (I guess) admin who moved his ratings to Brewver. The other will enter his backlog till 25k and will move ratings to Brewver. As I understood after discussion with you and because of the lambic policy.

I only admin Estonia and lambics according to the established policies. RBā€™s Estonian database is the most accurate in the internet. One of the main reasons why i keep adminning here is to keep it that way. Although untappdā€™s is improving fast, it will never be as good as rbā€™s because some of their policies prevent that.
I canā€™t answer the other questions.

1 Like

If a beer can be purchased at a bar or is available at a festival (and not a ā€œhomebrew festivalā€ or whatever), that is commercially available. Whether or not the brewer/blender has the proper paperwork filed is really not an issue to me - or most people, in my experience.

Are admins really expected to perform an audit to ensure every brewing entity on the site is a legally registered business? That sounds a little absurd to me, not least because it isnā€™t fair to expect admins to have the tools and knowledge to make these assessments. Weā€™re talking about rating beers here. Trying to find reasons to NOT be able to rate beers seems against the spirit of things.

8 Likes

how can we check if someone acquired the homebrew at a bar or a festival, and not otherwise? It requires the same amount of effort, or even more, as checking whether a brewer has a tax number. It will open a can of homebrew-worms if we allow them (in my opinion). Most homebrewers arenā€™t verifiable.

In Estonia I do exactly that, but like one of the original 2014 threads says, the requirements vary from country to country. There is always a grey area, but allowing (known) homebrews would be a major policy change. If you feel strongly about it, you should open a thread in admin forums.

1 Like

You seem to be speaking to the validity of a single beer, rather than the validity of a brewer or blender as a legitimate entry on RB. By my reckoning, these are separate questions, and the question of whether a given beer is legitimate has always been and will always been a part of the admin process on RB. Loads of 100% legitimate breweries occasionally produce beer that is not allowed, for example when they brew a test batch that never goes on sale but that makes its way into the hands of employees, friends of the brewery, etc.

Personally, I donā€™t like the can of worms argument in this context, because I donā€™t think most RBians are dying to add homebrew to the site. I could be wrong.

1 Like

I was talking about brewers, not single beers. I already see quite a few homebrew(er)s being added to the site, especially by people who also use Untappd. Can of worms might be a bit strong, especially seeing the number of active people on the site, but it potentially could beā€¦

Gotcha. Is it mostly lambic blend homebrews getting added?

It really isnā€™t hard to find out who is licensed and who isnā€™t.

It may be true in your region/countryā€¦ For example even in Estonia it is not that easy. But this is lambic thread, so letā€™s get back to the topic in hand.

I need to read this whole thread!

I find it hard to believe there is not a way to properly document beers made by one of the great lambic blenders of our time, without being overwhelmed with homebrews from neighbours garage.

1 Like

Like I said earlier: I would love to if it was possible in rb, but the current policy doesnā€™t allow it. By the way, one of the best (and the best not aged 10+ years) geuzeā€™s I have ever tried is his Honing Geuze Robinia. It is really amazing. I definitely agree that he is one of the greatest lambic blenders of our time, and the only reason why he is not more famous is that his beers are really difficult to get.

So now getting back to the topic (well, sort of). Since I didnā€™t get any answers from the admins, I thought I will post it here before i do anything drastic :smiley:

I am more in favour of keeping beers split out.

1 Like

If someone would ask what is the difference between these beers, what would you answer?

(Thatā€™s one criteria I use for merger consideration - if admin canā€™t say the difference, merger should be at least considered. Ofc it doesnā€™t mean merger should happen automatically).

The names!