New/Modification of Styles for Mead and Ciders

where do you stand on quince?

This subject will definitely come up again. I might sit down and write out a style guideline proposal for cider / perries

1 Like

good idea - count me in, please for some suggestions on the implementation of the styles from middle Europe.

Really curious what the good reasons are. If the style Mead - Melomels/Methyglyns was added there would be many that are above four and there would be more than any “style” of sake. I think that history/tradition should play a role in what styles we have, but it seems the highest ranking kvass is like 3.58 (not super excited about running out and buying a bunch of kvass with those kind of ratings). With this being said may be I am making the case for New England IPA (I mean we do have session IPA).

www.ciderexpert.com ?

not sure why the tags aren’t used more, I track hopped ciders via the tag

2 Likes

Blockquote[quote=“danlo, post:25, topic:6851, full:true”]
www.ciderexpert.com ?
[/quote]

Interesting never heard of that site. seems pretty simple overall not a lot of data but i’ll play around see if i can dig some up. Is there a sake one you know of? I’d love if our site had separate maps for ciders and meads, sake. I been trying to try sake from every prefecture which is tricky with my rudimentary knowledge of Japan and no way to track and trying a cider from every state may be fun despite some regions being far superior to others growing wise.

On ciderexpert.com you get points for ratings, reviews and likes… it’s mainly American userbase but the guy who’s top now is from Edinburgh and has rated 525 ciders to get to 5041 points. Here’s a link which explains the ratings system:

https://www.ciderexpert.com/About/Using2

Here’s the style categories from screenshot:

Haven’t seen anything similar for sake yet

still nothing that incorporates Öppelwoi and Moscht.

1 Like

https://cidreduquebec.com/en/the-cider/cider-categories/

1 Like

There does not seem to even be tags for these you might want to start there. Is it not äpplewoi, because it seems there are no öpplewoi on this site.

He’s basically from the shire of Austria, they talk funny there. It’s Moust, not Moscht!

Probably depends on which village in Hessen you are from.

I’ve seen Äppelwoi, Ebbelwoi, Öppelwoi… Same thing though, it’s the way the locals pronounce “Apfelwein”

Still does not seem to have a tag. I would pick the popular spelling and tag away.

This is interesting because Engish used to do this hundreds of years ago (Shakespeare) but they have tried to standardize the spelling of English. So most people in the US would pronounce hollow the usually way, but here in WV it would be pronounced closer to holler (words don’t typically change spelling even if pronounced differently).

well the standard spelling is “Apfelwein”. But that doesn’t keep people from writing different names on their labels.

1 Like

I’m just messing with you a little. In writing, we’d probably both only use “Most” and “Apfelwein”. But pronunciation can vary greatly, especially since Most is a traditional farmers drink and dialects very within 20 kilometers.

I will have some free time after my exams soon and start adding tags to Apfelwein as I am from the area.

There is a tag called “apple wine” which has been attached to some Apfelweine already. I don’t know if there’s any difference, and unfortunately, there is no description of the tag. A new tag seems to make sense for the German-style examples at least though.

I added a few cider-specific tags recently and updated the description of a cider-specific tags.