New search

For the record, the batshit insane amount of white space is there on mobile, too. So much unnecessary scrolling.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t it be R&B?

jeezus!
I can’t stand the non compact layouts; it reminds me of the list of places in a city; I complained that it was too dispersed (exactly the same as the new search), I compared to the old layout and the old one had 4 times (!) as many results per page, the new one was inconvenient to read and to print, hence half useless.
Well, now that you make me think, indeed I never use that page any more… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

maybe
Oakes should know if there is a reason for getting a space around ampersand

Possibly because that’s not even a valid URL (well, it is, but it doesn’t point to what RB wants it to point to). You can’t have a ‘#’ character in the path (or query) of a URL, that’s the separator for a fragment identifier. It should be escaped.

Looking at the source:
<a id=“575612” data-href=“/beer/one-mile-end-barrel-blends-#3-lea-valley-kriek/575612/” data-position=“2” data-css-1klh8kk=“”>
Bug confirmed.

This implies RB’s not correctly escaping externally-supplied information that it’s sending you. If so, being pessimistic, you are possibly at risk from script injections and other forms of rape (which can include things like password, or at least login session stealing). Turn off JavaScript if you want to be at least partly safe from such attacks (go on, I dare you…).

This is a fucking amateur mistake. I conclude that RB’s still hiring third rate bottom of the barrel programmers.

8 Likes

This explains why clicking on any of the two Akkurat 50/50 Gueuzes takes me to Anchor Wheat Beer…

2 Likes

For whatever it’s worth I’m able to log in at the search results page using a different computer (both Macs, different versions of OS X but I believe the same version of Firefox). So the bug isn’t linked specifically to my account.

This is because the hash / pound (#) character is not escaped in the url . The browser will treat everything after the # as an anchor tag.

I think the new search works grate. Good work Joet and team!

2 Likes

Thanks for the great troubleshooting of these uncommon but important searches!

There have been a number of fixes, I’ll post about that separately.

Cheers!

Can we revert back? This just sucks. It’s not an improvement. There have been some things for the better, but this and too many others haven’t been. It’s not relearning, the sorting of results seems random

3 Likes

yesterday, we had a tasting for the first time since the new search appeared. It sucked. Big time.

While some beers were easier to find than usual, others were just ridiculous. One beer was a Bock by Mariahilfer according to the label. I was unable to find it with “Mariahilfer bock” because it’s called “Mariahilfer Maibock” in our database (the label makes no mention of Maibock). When I search for a brewery and “bock”, I expect Maibock to turn up as well as Doppelbock, Fastenbock, Eisbock, or whatever Bock they might have, dammit.

This is not fun. Also, this will definitely not help “fast rating on the go” when we have to spend 10 minutes looking for each beer…

14 Likes

This is my fear.

Not that the search doesnt work, just that its going to be slower.

I suspect it may even be Better for Casual visitor , but for fast rating on the go. I often go into the Hanging bat and look up 8-9 beers though im only gonna rate 2-3 of them.
I dotn want anythign that slows me down

4 Likes

Does anybody know, what actually the reason is why the beloved catch-all-fragmented search was not implemented in this new Phoenix search? It seems to me, the new search works pretty good in being smart for the lets call it the “Stone IPA search”, which is something lots of people have requested in the past. But its clearly causing huge problems with completely rational searches as ‘Bock’ for Maibock.

As a side, I would like to add, that with RB naming conventions admins always adapted to the search. Thats why Stone IPA was named India Pale Ale, even though it is not spelled this way on the bottle/can.

1 Like

Echo the comments on too much white space. Also the fact that I need to click extra tabs when searching for breweries, places etc… Side by side was much more useful and the old search often listed brewers first if it thought you were searching for it. I’ve said it before here and on other sites that designing everything for mobile is rubbish.

Also, searching Crook Stave does not return any brewers.

4 Likes

So, it seems that the way the search works is different for beers, brewers and places (as I mentioned earlier). That doesn’t seem good.

4 Likes

And just mobile phones at that. It’s also annoying on tablets.

2 Likes

So, it looks like the fragment search only works if you type in the first part of the word. “Maria mai” finds what you want but “Maria bock” doesn’t. That’s daft and I’m sure that’s not what was intended, or how Joe explained things with his “new belg voo pass” example at the outset.

If it IS intended to work this way, it’s clearly focussed on finding things you already know for certain with less typing than finding something you’re not sure of - or, worse from a RateBeer perspective, ensuring that people rate the correct beer and don’t add unnecessary duplicates.

2 Likes

When will we be able to see which beers we’ve rated in the search results? Considering the 1.9 version of the app makes it impossible to use, the website refusing to show search results in a meaningful way is making it really difficult to justify why I give @joet money.

1 Like

I don’t understand why there are still Premium members left with all this mess.

3 Likes