FAO UK Admins - Breweries/Places Housekeeping

Now closed on here. Cheers.

Now changed. Cheers

Blimey, beers are getting complicated! Right, it looks like the only thing I can try and do is to change the picture for the standard porter. I have gone through the process, we will need to see if it will update over the next 24 hours.

It took me longer to work out what I was drinking, than actually drink it!!

Thanks for all your work.

Chris

All done as requested. As for the Cloudwater new versions of v3, hopefully we are not getting into the annual update again, I do wonder whether Cloudwater are conning their customers a little.

1 Like

Amigos this awful Desperados clone has now had its ABV lowered to 5.1%. It could maybe do with the text description changing to include this, but I’m not sure.

https://www.ratebeer.com/en/beer/amigos-tequila-flavoured-beer/116575/

As of 21st April 2018, Velvet Owl are no longer based in Gloucestershire and have moved over the border into Wales where they now have their own site (they were cuckoo brewing until now at various breweries in England and Wales, but didn’t disclose which beers were brewed at which breweries). It looks like this is the same industrial estate that Lines Brew Co are on, who were one of the breweries they brewed at prior to this.
Additionally they are now acting as a contract client brewer while still brewing their own beers too, as they primarily brew their own beers we can leave them as a microbrewery for now.

https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/velvet-owl-brewing-co/32407/
New address: Unit 2E Sir Alfred Owen Way, Pontygwindy Industrial Estate, Caerphilly, CF83 3HU
New phone: 0292 0850 706

All other details remain the same. However, at this new site they also have a taproom, so once the brewery is updated you can hit that clone brewery to a place button.

“Velvet Owl Tap Room” opening times: Mon-Fri 5pm-11pm, Sat noon-11pm

You can verify all this on their website https://www.velvetowlbrew.co.uk

They’re a microbrewery. Their clients are the contract brewers.

You’re right and I thought that sounded weird as I was typing it. The page on their website calls themselves “contract brewers” which is why I wrote that.

Posting my response above remined me of something.

My understanding is that a commissioner is a supermarket or suchlike who pay for a third party to brew their beers but don’t have much input to the recipe or such like.

I was speaking to some Hogs Back brewery employees last week and we were discussing the beers they brew for other parties. One guy said that Hogstar is also brewed for M&S as their 4 Hop Lager or whatever the latter is called. However the other guy then said that they weren’t the same beer because M&S are very strict over recipes and the hops are different. His example was that they dictate how many grains of barley must go into each beer, etc. Does this take them out of Commissioner and into Contract Brewer territory

It also explains why their Norfolk Nog apparently tastes different from the original.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/torrside-late-to-the-party/396535/
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/torrside-late-to-the-party-nz/471180/

Anyone know about these? Are these actually different beers? Should they be merged?
To me, the second appears to simply be a duplicate with an added NZ moniker, presumably for New Zealand due to the hops. The hops in the original are NZ varieties though so I can’t see any differences at all between the two. Just checked Untappd and there’s no separate entry there.

Most of the raters here are the same people on both entries but the similarities seem to have gone unnoticed. Bit confused.

Cascade is not necessarily a New Zealand hop, and breweries would usually say NZ Cascade (or more properly Taiheke) rather than just Cascade. If you check through the untappd pictures there are bottles / tap badges with and without ‘New Zealand edition’. Perhaps there are two versions which use differently sourced Cascade hops or perhaps it’s just inconsistent labelling.

I’m aware. It’s also got Motueka and Southern Cross in hence my feeling it was already an “NZ hopped” beer. Seems strange if the only difference was NZ sourced Cascade in one and not in the other.

Could also be inconsistent labeling as you say. I hadn’t spotted those “New Zealand Edition” checkin photos the other day but that confirms there are indeed two different bottles of it around. Now I’m wondering if the standard edition has had the description pulled from the NZ edition. Odd that nobody created a separate entry on Untappd for it though they’re usually very pedantic about that.

If you Google the NZ edition, Torrside’s Facebook page references it on their taplists. I suggest that they are different but people have not spotted it due to the label being the same.

Hop Art did limited edition versions of some of their beers which was only mentioned on their website and all they did was put a different colour bottle cap on.

1 Like

The last person to visit this place (Aug, last year) mentions that it"s shut:

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/101-rekjavik/45256/

Just cloned Ascot Brew Co to Places. They now have an on site micropub, the Black Horse.

Fri - 12:00 - 20:00

Sat - 12:00 - 18:100:

4 taps, I believe.

May check it out one lunchtime but the I’ve only managed Siren the once.

Well spotted Chris on this Torrside matter. I think that I am the person who added both of these.

I was also doing a bit of detective work and I saw that on Instagram they (Torrside) comment on the NZ edition and state Late To The Party this time brewed with New Zealand hops(Or words to that affect). So they appear to suggest that this is different from the original. Is there a possibility that the hops in the original whilst typically from NZ could have been grown elsewhere, so for example a UK grown Motueka?

Just saw a tweet from Moonchild Brewing Co’ which said ‘And it’s goodbye from Moonchild’ the follow up tweets from people who can access the Facebook link (I am not on FB) would suggest that they are closing. Might be worth checking out FB to be 100% certain.

https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/moonchild/27667/

Just checked it out for you. Yes the brewery is definitely closing. They do say they will remain in the beer industry though, and to keep following their twitter/fb for updates on that.

Here’s the full text of their post if you’re interested:

And it’s goodbye from Moonchild!
It’s with mixed feelings that we’re letting you know that Moonchild Brewing Co. in it’s current form will be no longer in a few weeks time. Circumstances have changed here in our household (for the best!), but these changes also made us realise we need to be closer to family. We’ll be leaving beautiful Devon, and with that comes the closure of the brewery. It has honestly been a blast, many friends were made and lots of nice beer was drunk. Thanks to everyone for enjoying our beer and for being so nice to us. Keep on following this page however, as it’s not the last you’ll hear from us in the beer industry! Exciting times ahead, we’ll keep you posted! Peace, love and Moonchild x

Oh and we’ve just stocked up some of your favourite retailers with fresh beer so get it whilst you still can!

Thanks for posting that Chris.

I note that I only got to try one of their beers, however I enjoyed it. Lets hope that they we may see them again sometime soon.