Release: First version of new Activity Feed

Oh shit, Lindemans Apple (Pomme) was beer-spotted in Belgium!

“Experience points are awarded for ratings (4 points each), complete reviews (15 each), place ratings (7 each). Additional points planned for adding images, having at least 4 friends, following 5 or more breweries, having at least 2 favorite styles.”

Ok, I quite like the experience points idea as long as it is in addition to, rather than instead of, all the stats it’s based on. However, a few thoughts:

1. I seem to be a level 100 master despite my relatively low number of rates etc. Do the levels actually go higher? I strongly feel that there should be higher levels than this to reward Fonefan and the other megaraters, and also to give lowly raters like me something to aim at.
  2. The points awarded per activity seem very high and a bit random. They should start at 1 rather than 4. Maybe 1 point for a tick, 5 for a full beer or place rate.
  3. Not convinced having more friends, more favourite breweries or having favourite styles should count towards experience, as people can just press buttons to get these in seconds? Instead of this what about 10 points for every country, region or style with a rate. An extra 20 points for getting 100 rates in any of these (or a sliding scale based on rates in each of those). For visiting countries or regions you could have 20 points for first place rated and an extra 40 points for 100 places rated in that region. There should also definitely be a point for every day active on the site, and for each forum post liked.

I think that amending the experience points in this way would both reward actual experience, plus encourage long term site participation. What do you think @joet?

4 Likes

This is absolutely terrible, yet again anything good has been messed up and no useful data can be seen. I’m on the verge of giving up on Ratebeer (as much as it would hurt me) due to these idiotic changes.

3 Likes

The good news is that everything is so consistently bad that ABInBev may soon decide to pare their losses and cut all ties and RB will be an independent site again! Seriously, I can’t imagine they are happy with how things have been progressing since the investment.

1 Like

ruthless main. haha but plenty of truth.

yup. I’ve tried to use the new feed for anything productive during tastings and failed. It’s completely useless like this.

Also, the counting period of months(?) is weird for a live feed.

3 Likes

The Latest Activity page is one of the most frequently visited pages on the site. So if you are going to change it, make sure you do it right and that it is better than it was before. Sadly, the developers failed miserably. I now see very little of what I want to see and a whole load of things that I don’t!!

In the old Latest Activity page, I could see what all my friends were rating right now. The counts were for the last 24 hours, not the last two weeks for some insane reason. I could see where they had just checked in. I could see what beers they added to the site. I could see if they were attending an event. I could leave comments!

I’m absolutelty not interested in seeing rating data from two weeks ago. I want to see what they rated in the last hour. I don’t care that a friend rated a place 10 days ago!! I want to see their check-ins. I also want to see my own stats in the Latest Activity feed too. I want to know what I have personally done today and want to see what my friends will be seeing about me. What about milestones? I have not seen any of those yet. I don’t want to see each item in a box with a header saying “Friends Beer Rating”. I can see that with my own eyes. Each entry takes up too much space and you see very little on each page and have to keep scrolling down.

I really don’t need to be told every time that i’m a Level 100 Master or that I forgot to rate a place close to me. Put that on a separate page if you want to. Don’t put it on the Latest Activity page because it’s not “Latest Activity”.

The Latest Activity page needs to show precisely that, in a concise and easily readable format. That’s what we had before. It wasn’t broken and worked well. Why change it simply for the sake of change? There are plenty of other areas on the site that need fixing, not this!

Aesthetically, the new page is a mess. I hate even looking at it. All the useful, up to date information has been taken away and replaced with out of date information and plenty of things I really don’t care about.

You have destroyed the best page on the site. There is now even less reason for people to log on and rate beers as they have lost the close connection with their beer rating friends.

How on earth anyone could see this as an improvement over what we had before is beyond me. The designer of this page clearly isn’t a beer rater. It’s truly awful and some more.

My advice is to put back the previous Latest Activity feed and to think very carefully about further changes to the site. The new Latest Activity feed will further alienate users rather than engage them!

18 Likes

Is there a way for us to go back/choose the older previous activity feed like in your comparison? Much prefer it to the new one.

1 Like

I second what jmgreenuk said. While the new page has some interesting ideas, such as reporting what’s available in the area, it has lost its focus as an activity feed. Move that to a separate page called „sightings“ or something similar. Also, I don’t need be told each time that I‘m a „Master“ or that I‘m not following enough breweries or people. That is not an activity report!

1 Like

Well said John, you’ve basically covered all of the problems I see with it but was too lazy to document here.

100 % agree here.
New feed is awfull.

1 Like

Couldnt said it better myself.
100 % agree.
This was one of the most useful pages for me and my friends .

1 Like

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer-ratings/

How convenient.

The old page is still there. Click on New Releases. From there you have access to Latest Local like before.

1 Like

Merci beaucoup.

The new feed now appears to be in chronological order. It also still has a tally but appears to be showing individual beer ratings.

2 Likes

Nice one. Cheers!

I really like the new Activity feed, well done. :+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3:

Looks really bad. Reads really bad.

Did you guys see that Newly Added Beer Friend Columbia River Single Hop IPA from Columbia River Brewing Company an IPA at 6.5% ABV was added by maekchu?

2 Likes

New Feed
(wrong url on the pic)

Newly Added Beer > Favorite Brewer

La Confrérie Crema from La Confrérie - Microbrasserie, a Stout - Sweet of unknown ABV, was added by Viper666.
today
vs
Latest Local
Viper666 added a new Stout - Sweet: La ConfrĂ©rie Crema (ABV simply doesn’t show instead of displaying “Unknown ABV”, better coding on the old one) 13 hours ago (feels more natural saying it that way)

also

Friends > Beer Rating

Lubiere logged (why not rated) 76 ratings in this period. (I imagine it is from the beginning of the month?)
Latest: A 4 (4 on what 4/10 4/5?, why “A” before the score
 makes it look even worse) for Central Waters Brewer’s Reserve Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale .
7 hours ago
vs

Lubiere rated Central Waters Brewer’s Reserve Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale 4/5 (feels more natural saying it that way) 8 hours ago

and 15 more(only part that needed to go for a long time)