Style updates are live

The Mess is Complete. Corne du diable is now an IPA english!

1 Like

“Corne du diable (French for “Horn of the devil”) is a contemporary interpretation of the classic English India Pale Ale”

What’s wrong with that? It was literally their intention. Although it’s a far better example than GK!

1 Like

So, what you are saying is that it is irrelevant WHERE YOU LIVE, hence it is irrelevant to everyone… :smiley: I live in kvass country (it is called kali here) and I consider it one of the best improvements as far as styles go. Kali/kvass/gira is well defined style with 100s of examples existing and I can’t see any reason why it should not be separated.

4 Likes

Then read the next line please. It is a West coast. But you are right. All ipa are english IPA.

That attempt is probably very failed, because Schwarzbier is historically top-fermented.

@LazyPyro Just wants RB to be as good as Untappd.

1 Like

Hm, I see I can give up on my style stats… Too tired to check all beers I’ve had. And since many of them have only few rating, I don’t believe somebody will change their style …

Also, will there be any guide? How about Chili flavoured smoked stout? I see 3 styles here. Especially confused with Flavoured - something styles (since there are also Stout - flavoured, Porter - flavoured …).

And looking on new styles… Why is not here Lager - flavoured, Belgian - flavoured … I see a lot of inconsistency here. Other examples: “IPA - Rye / RyePA” vs. “Pale Ale - Rye” (Isn’t RyePA the same as Pale Ale Rye?). What about dark/amber low alcohol? And so on…

Ratebeer Users: We need to update and modernize the website to stay relevant.

Also Ratebeer Users: Wait don’t change anything!

Seriously though… There has been a lot to complain about around here over the past year or two, but I fair to see how modernizing the style descriptions is a bad thing, apart from a nit-picky disagreement here or there. Will it be a lot of work to go through and re-categorize some stuff? Maybe, but we can start by working off of tags, and go from there.

8 Likes

Funnily enough some English beers which are labelled Pale Ale are being amended to English Pale Ale - see Tribute. On that basis this for me adds even more confusion.

1 Like

Wtf… But the English admins have always been dead against this haven’t they? Has the definition changed with the new style updates? I only ever came across two beers in my whole time here that were literally described as an “English Pale Ale” and they said no to both of those when I asked. I don’t have an opinion either way in all honesty, but consistency and a clear definition would be helpful after the dust settles with this.

1 Like

? But that’s ancient history. Tho there’s a lot of history since then.

“Kulmbach came of age as a brewing center some 800 years ago. A charter letter penned by the bishop of Bamberg in 1174 references Kulmbach’s brewery. Further documentation comes from a manuscript describing the brewery of the local Augustine monks in 1349. These were top-fermented brews since bottom-fermentation would not become common until at least a century later.”

What does the cited passage about Kulmbach have to do with Schwarzbier?

I could not find out when the majority of Schwarzbier switched from top to bottom fermentation, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is a historic style that originally was top-fermented.

1 Like

That was a “timeline” example for the region where schwarzbier more or less began.

However, “From the Thuringin spa hamlet of Bad Köstritz comes one of the classic remnants of the style, Köstritzer Schwarzbier (perhaps the precursor to most modern versions). The monastic brewery here was founded in 1543 and secularized in 1791. So adherent to its past was Köstritzer that they used top-fermenting yeast until 1878, when they made the switch to bottom-fermentation.” may be more relevant. So top-ferm is fairly recent history.

But the Americans shouldn’t be failing at schwarzbier/dark lager because the brew used to be top fermented, and Americans are using lager yeast today.

And it doesn’t matter because, as I can see in BC, brewers don’t care about accuracy, they just like to offer beers with an exotic name, like here we got 200 kölsch that are just light blond ales, often fruited.

Following BJCP is exactly what we shouldn’t do. We don’t judge a beer on technical stuff. We don’t care if an amber ale is 1 EBC too light. Is it therefor a different style? BJCP wise it probably is. But which RB user first of all notices that, 2nd of all knows which style it should be in then instead of amber ale and third and most importantly, who cares?

1 Like

ISO: KVASS hahaha

The trick to becoming an admin is not wanting to be an admin. This isn’t the true path forward. I’d recite the prajnaparasutra another 3 lifetimes and then you may reach nirvana.

2 Likes

Now you’re closer to 100 at least

1 Like

it did feel good to kick some of the fruit stuff out of the Berliner Weiße & Gose Top50!

5 Likes

One thing I do think we need is style guides ASAP. And clear ones that don’t overlap. People have enough difficulty adding beers to the correct style as it is.

Also why no Low Alcohol - Dark?

4 Likes