Your stand-out beer of 2017

Yes, there are still a few weeks left of 2017, but what has been your favourite beer this year? It could be a new release or a classic you only tried for the first time this year.

For me, it’s the DIPA collaboratively brewed by Northern Monk and Wylam - the wonderfuly titled ‘I Like To Moob It Moob It’. I had no expectations from it whatsoever; I just picked up a can one evening, tried it later that night, and was blown away by just how fresh, hoppy and balanced it was. I bought another can the following day to check that I hadn’t imagined how delicious it was… and I enjoyed another taste of heaven! Other reviewers have since posted similarly positive reviews for what is, sadly, a one-off, limited release beer.

I’d like to hear about your favourite beer of 2017 - as well as any close contenders.

8 Likes

Melvin Lambda Lambda Lambda.

5 Likes

The IPAs that Modern Times has been releasing. No one in particular stands out, but as a whole they have been awesome.

5 Likes

Auval is the new and hyped brewery around these parts, I really really liked their 001 this year in particular.

4 Likes

Tough question. Had a ton of fantastic things this year. No perfect score, but had about a dozen that were 4.7 or higher. My top 3 overall would probably have to be.

-Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Porter
-Toppling Goliath Supa’ Sumo
-White Elm Double Barrel Coconut Stout (my top choice probably. A new brewery celebrating one year this month. Done some fantastic things. This was a coconut stout aged in rum and bourbon barrels. On par or better than anything Omnipollo has done.) Really great beer.

4 Likes

Tilquin Pinot Noir (thanks to King_Alex_II for my first bottle, and @anstei and King_Alex_II for my second bottle of that) was on fire, and so was Superstition Marion - Still (thanks to derA and his wife for obtaining it and @anstei and all the others at that tasting for sharing it!) and Three Floyds Dark Lord De Muerte (thanks to @cgarvieuk, @Stuu666, FinnIckler, and @77ships for sharing) as well as Pappy Barrel Mexican Cake ( so many thanks to @fonefan for sharing that one, and all the pre-Borefts people!) and Spontanpentadrupelblueberry (props to @Stuu666 for “trading” it and to @cgarvieuk, FinnIckler, and @77ships for sharing it). Hel & Verdoemenis 666 was also extremely memorable (thanks to Koelschtrinker for trading it, and @anstei and derA for sharing it!)

Those are the ones that were new and above 4.7, though I did also have a couple of Orvals, 3F Schaerbeekse Krieks, and Schlenkerla from the wooden barrel. It was a great year!

And I’ll never forget that one bottle of Girarin Gueuze 2003 at Akkurat. Best Gueuze I’ve ever had.

8 Likes

So far? Jeez. So many good ones. I’ll say B-Bomb with Coffee and Cinnamon, The Rare Barrel Hyper Paradise, DeGarde The Peach, 6ix Days in Dade, and Never Never Forever Forever stand out.

3 Likes

Clear winner for 2017 for me is Beaver Towns Heavy Lord. It was a Delight

4 Likes

So far, the following have had 4.5:
Hoppin frog - rocky mountain DORIS
Superstition - Marion
Dugges/Omnipollo - Maple Anagram
Nerd Brewing - Indexoutofbounds
Hawkshead - Bourbon Northern Imperial Stout

5 Likes

In the “classic you only tried for the first time this year” category:
AleSmith Speedway Stout, actually.

6 Likes

Stand out beer from me was Abnormal Maple Mornings…

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/abnormal-maple-mornings/485033/1/1/

The single beer I have drunk the most of this year is Alefarm Soft Spoken, so drinkable…

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alefarm-soft-spoken/478531/

3 Likes

The winner clearly was Superstition’s Grand Cru Berry FO BA at RBBest. Another nectar of the gods!

But even besides that there were many outstanding long term wants which I could try and which lived up to their reputation. PtY, Black Agnes, Hel & Verdoemenis 666, BBA Noa, Marion Still, Brännlands Iscider Fatlagrad 2014, BA Christmas Bomb, 50/50 Vanilla Bean, Mooi & Maachtig Cognac, Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien 2011 and The Kernel’s Londen Sour Damson all cracked the 4.6 for me, and there would be 11 4.5s more.

Generally this year included more meads, perries, ciders and ice ciders/perries for me, and I’m happy to have gone this direction. So much more to discover!

6 Likes

Side Project - 3 Candles at Beavertown Extravaganza. Never experienced anything comparable, so chocolate saucey, very interesting to try!

First time I tried Speedway Stout Varaints aswell, with the Vietnamese Coffee Bourbon Barrel being the winner of the night!

5 Likes

Angry Chair Barrel-Aged Imperial German Chocolate Cupcake Stout and JWB/Abnormal Bake Kujira

4 Likes

Anybody know where to find your beer ratings without going back to the old site? Curious as to what my stand-out beer is…

2 Likes

Yep. Moob It was a definite highlight. Not the best beer I’ve had this year, but it did a really good job in showing how the UK can match the US for easy drinking juice bombs.

2 Likes

Thanks to Colin (TheydonBois), it was Old Chimneys Good King Henry Special Reserve. A true English classic and deserving of its reputation…

2 Likes

Cloudwater NE Citra Dipa was pretty awesome

1 Like

you can have a :broken_heart: for such a generic answer :smiling_imp:

AleSmith Speedway Stout
Omnipollo Noa Pecan Mud Cake - Bourbon
O’Hanlon’s Thomas Hardy’s Ale (2005)

1 Like